Passenger Briefing

Zulee

My original briefing card finally met it's last days of usefulness, so I started looking around for a replacement.  If anyone knows a source for the original cards I would very much appreciate the lead.

In the meantime, I read a lot of posts about passenger briefing and what should be included without being overwhelming.  I created the attached WORD document with the basics and even threw in a couple Mooney logo's just for fun.

Cheers

Rick

Aircraft Passenger Briefing.docx

My son uses the "SAFETY" checklist to brief passengers.  It is simple to remember and addresses the key points of a passenger briefing

Seatbelts

The regulations give the pilot in command (PIC) two specific tasks with regard to seat belts and shoulder harnesses. First, the PIC must ensure that each person on board is briefed on how to fasten and unfasten that person’s seat belt and, if installed, shoulder harness.

Second is a duty to notify passengers that seat belts must be fastened before the pilot can legally take off, land, or “cause (an aircraft) to be moved on the surface.” It is also a good idea to brief your passengers on how to adjust and lock each seat into position.

Air

The second major item is environmental controls. Show all passengers where the air vents are located, and tell them how to open and close overhead and/or floor-level vents in their seating area. Many GA airplanes have other environmental controls (e.g., cabin heat) located somewhere on the instrument panel. If passengers are airplane-savvy, show them how to adjust some or all of these controls. Unless passenger have some experience in GA aircraft, though, it may be best to tell them to let you know if they need you to make adjustments.

The subject of air brings up a more delicate issue – airsickness. Opinions differ widely on whether, and how, to discuss this topic. Some advocate a direct approach, including a full briefing on location and use of airsickness bags. Others believe that a specific briefing triggers the power of suggestion in potentially queasy passengers, and prefer to avoid the subject entirely. You be the judge, but at a minimum you want passengers to tell you right away if they feel uncomfortable.

Fire Extinguisher

If you have a fire extinguisher on board – you do, right? – show all passengers where it is located, how to unlatch it from its mount, and how to use it in the unlikely event of a fire.

Equipment/Exits

Make sure all passengers know how to open the door(s) in the event of an emergency evacuation, but it is also important for them to know how to properly secure the door(s). Be sure to explain any equipment, such as supplemental oxygen, that passengers are expected to use during the flight.

For emergency preparation purposes, develop and brief exit procedures. This step is especially important in airplanes with doors on both sides of the fuselage. For example, your plan might call for keeping the left (pilot) seat forward to allow rear seat passen¬gers to exit via the left door, with front seat occupants exiting via the right. Designate a post-exit gathering point and, if you carry survival equipment, make sure everyone knows where it is stowed.

Traffic and Talking

It never hurts to have extra eyes scanning for traffic, so brief passengers to speak up whenever they spot other aircraft. A simple “airplane on the right” will suffice, but you might teach them to give you traffic information in terms of the “o’clock” positions used by ATC.

Expectations for communications – talking – is another good topic to include. Passengers will certainly understand that there are times when the pilot needs to focus fully on flying. Let passengers know that they should not attempt to talk to the pilot (except for traffic point-outs) during the busy takeoff/ climb and approach/landing phases of the flight. Passengers should also minimize their own conversations during these times.

Your Questions?

Give passengers an opportunity to ask questions about any part of the flight. Since some passengers may be intimidated by the novelty of GA flying or embarrassed to ask “dumb” questions, watch for any signs of confusion or concern. Make a special effort to invite those questions needed to clarify any part of the briefing they did not understand. The question time is a great opportunity to reassure a reluctant rider, or to encourage a potential future pilot’s interest in aviation

(stolen from http://www.avi8rix.aero/2014/07/s-a-f-e-ty-briefing/)

Edited by lotsofgadgets

In addition to the usual stuff...

I always demonstrate to the passenger how to open and close the door and tell them that although I may leave it open for taxi if it is hot, but that I personally will close and secure the door before we do the runup and depart.  Still, even with instruction and telling them not to touch the door, I cannot tell you how many times somebody tries to slam the door.

I feel better now.

4 minutes ago, Bartman said:

In addition to the usual stuff...

I always demonstrate to the passenger how to open and close the door and tell them that although I may leave it open for taxi if it is hot, but that I personally will close and secure the door before we do the runup and depart.  Still, even with instruction and telling them not to touch the door, I cannot tell you how many times somebody tries to slam the door.

I feel better now.

I hear ya on the slamming door part.  We can thank Cessna and Beech for that door slamming stuff.  LOL

• Like 1

Here are a couple more Mooney specific items I have added along the way.

1. I made set partial flap before entry and exit with new passenger as part of my routine, so they don't step directly on the sticker that reads "No Step".  Had that happen too.
  2. Pull on the center roll cage bar to pull the seat forward, not the yoke or anything else.
  3. I also tell them how best to enter and exit the aircraft.  Getting in not so bad, but it is a much better experience if they can stand up and step onto the anti skid on the wing root rather than try to crawl out.
  4. And do not touch the door in any way after it is opened, either getting in or out.
  • Like 1

Wow, talk about over complicating a simple thing. The only thing I emphasize is not stepping anywhere but the black wing walk. Everything else is pretty much common sense. I just watch and make sure they get their belts on properly or help out. 

As for sterile cockpit, besides Lysol, I can always just hit the pilot isolate button on the audio panel if need be. Most passengers are quiet during flights anyway. It's only my brother and a rare case that they can't stop yackin and I gotta mute them. Shame it only works in the plane.

• Like 1

Mooney provided a passenger briefing card with the planes when sold. I gave a copy to one MooneySpace member that duplicated it and provided it for download in the download section. I recall he did a great job. Check it out - I assume it’s still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really make things complicated.  Here's what I use for my Angel Flights.  I assume they have never been in a GA airplane before.  I have it formatted as two pages so I can print it on the front and back on a piece of paper and then trim it to a pretty small size.

1.  Stay away from propeller areas on the way to the plane.

2.  Do not step on the flaps on the way in or out of the plane.

3.  Stay on the black strip on the wing.

4.  There are two emergency exits.  The main door and the baggage door.  To open the main door, pull back on the latching lever and push the door open.  For the baggage door, remove the plastic cover and use the handle inside to open the door.

5.  Boarding the airplane:

a.  Front seat.  Do not grab the glareshield.  With your right leg, step in on the floor in front of the seat.  Bend over and with your left hand grab the metal tube in the middle of the windshield.  Step in with your left leg and lower yourself into the seat.  Or just step on the seat, then the floor, and sit down.

b.  Back seat.  Step on the floor behind the seat with both feet.  Face forward.  Squat down into the seat.

6.  Closing the door.  Please do not slam!  With your left hand grab the handle and gently pull it shut.  While holding it shut use your right hand to push the latch lever forward.

7.  Seat belts.  The back only has a lap belt.  The front has lap and shoulder harness.

8.  Be careful not to unlatch the red lever between the seats.

9.  Do not push on the rudder pedals.

10.  Headset is optional but you’ll need it if you want to talk to anyone.

11.  Place the microphone very close to your lips.  To talk to someone, just talk.  No need to push any buttons.

12.  Sterile cockpit.  Except for feeling ill or safety issues, please do not talk from engine start until we level off.  I’ll let you know when we are level.  Likewise, please refrain from talking from when we start our descent until we shut down the engine.

13.  When not sterile, please feel free to ask questions but try to stop talking whenever there is a radio transmission.

14.  If you are hot, cold, or feeling ill; please let me know.

15.  I will try to pick an altitude that is smooth but I may not be able to.

16.  Flight time should be about:

17.  Please let me know if you see any other aircraft that might get close to us.

18.  Feel free to eat (non-messy foods), drink, listen to music, or watch a movie during flight.

19.  You do not need to turn off you cell phone but it may wear your battery down more quickly than normal as it searches for cell towers.

20.  How good are you at clearing your ears?

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Wow, talk about over complicating a simple thing. The only thing I emphasize is not stepping anywhere but the black wing walk. Everything else is pretty much common sense. I just watch and make sure they get their belts on properly or help out. 

As for sterile cockpit, besides Lysol, I can always just hit the pilot isolate button on the audio panel if need be. Most passengers are quiet during flights anyway. It's only my brother and a rare case that they can't stop yackin and I gotta mute them. Shame it only works in the plane.

I've found over the years that common sense isn't common, at least that's been my experience.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Mooney provided a passenger briefing card with the planes when sold. I gave a copy to one MooneySpace member that duplicated it and provided it for download in the download section. I recall he did a great job. Check it out - I assume it’s still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think about checking the downloads, duh!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will go take a look.

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

Here are a couple more Mooney specific items I have added along the way.

1. I made set partial flap before entry and exit with new passenger as part of my routine, so they don't step directly on the sticker that reads "No Step".  Had that happen too.
  2. Pull on the center roll cage bar to pull the seat forward, not the yoke or anything else.
  3. I also tell them how best to enter and exit the aircraft.  Getting in not so bad, but it is a much better experience if they can stand up and step onto the anti skid on the wing root rather than try to crawl out.
  4. And do not touch the door in any way after it is opened, either getting in or out.

1 - My preflight checklist has full flaps down, then retract them for taxi.  Wouldn't stop someone from trying to step on the flap leading edge instead of the wing, though.

2 - Do not all Mooney's have handles on the glareshield to pull the seat forwards?

4 - Here, here on that one.  It drives me nuts when they try to lean on the door to get in

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

I assume they have never been in a GA airplane before.

a. Do not grab the glareshield.

6.  Closing the door.  Please do not slam!  With your left hand grab the handle and gently pull it shut.  While holding it shut use your right hand to push the latch lever forward.

How many people that have never been in a general aviation airplane before will know what a

flap

glareshield

rudder pedal

is ?

Personally I do not allow passengers to close the door.

Some would say having all passengers wear headsets is a safety of flight issue. Without a headset and in an emergency how do you plan to communicate with them ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

I really make things complicated.  Here's what I use for my Angel Flights.  I assume they have never been in a GA airplane before.  I have it formatted as two pages so I can print it on the front and back on a piece of paper and then trim it to a pretty small size.

1.  Stay away from propeller areas on the way to the plane.

3.  Stay on the black strip on the wing.

4.  There are two emergency exits.  The main door and the baggage door.  To open the main door, pull back on the latching lever and push the door open.  For the baggage door, remove the plastic cover and use the handle inside to open the door.

5.  Boarding the airplane:

a.  Front seat.  Do not grab the glareshield.  With your right leg, step in on the floor in front of the seat.  Bend over and with your left hand grab the metal tube in the middle of the windshield.  Step in with your left leg and lower yourself into the seat.  Or just step on the seat, then the floor, and sit down.

b.  Back seat.  Step on the floor behind the seat with both feet.  Face forward.  Squat down into the seat.

7.  Seat belts.  The back only has a lap belt.  The front has lap and shoulder harness.

8.  Be careful not to unlatch the red lever between the seats.

11.  Place the microphone very close to your lips.  To talk to someone, just talk.  No need to push any buttons.

12.  Sterile cockpit.  Except for feeling ill or safety issues, please do not talk from engine start until we level off.  I’ll let you know when we are level.  Likewise, please refrain from talking from when we start our descent until we shut down the engine.

13.  When not sterile, please feel free to ask questions but try to stop talking whenever there is a radio transmission.

14.  If you are hot, cold, or feeling ill; please let me know.

15.  I will try to pick an altitude that is smooth but I may not be able to.

16.  Flight time should be about:

17.  Please let me know if you see any other aircraft that might get close to us.

18.  Feel free to eat (non-messy foods), drink, listen to music, or watch a movie during flight.

19.  You do not need to turn off you cell phone but it may wear your battery down more quickly than normal as it searches for cell towers.

20.  How good are you at clearing your ears?

Wow, that is longer than my entire flying checklist. 

• Haha 1

My audio panel has crew isolate switch. My wife and I call it the Susan Switch. Whenever we fly with her she never shuts up! When ATC says something I quietly flip the Susan Switch and do my business. When I'm done I flip it back and she is still yapping like we never went away.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

2 - Do not all Mooney's have handles on the glareshield to pull the seat forwards?

Do any Mooneys have such a handle? Aside from 800 hours in my own plane, my Mooney experience is pretty limited, I just know I've never seen such a thing . . .

17 minutes ago, Hank said:

Do any Mooneys have such a handle? Aside from 800 hours in my own plane, my Mooney experience is pretty limited, I just know I've never seen such a thing . . .

When you upgrade to a Comanche you'll get two hand holds in the panel glare shield.

Clarence

36 minutes ago, Hank said:

Hmm, my M20J has two hand holds under the glareshield lip.  I'm assuming it's the original glareshield because it's warped and crappy?  

Yeah, my safety briefing is just to let them know there are just two things they're responsible for in the event of an emergency.

1. Open the door, and do it when I say to do it but certainly before landing. (we usually talk a little about this as there's usually a question or two)
  2. Snug down your seatbelt.

No one ever closes the door but me. And like @201er said, the audio panel allows me to have a sterile cockpit any time I feel the need.

So no check list, card, or briefing paper needed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yeah, my safety briefing is just to let them know there are just two things...

No one ever closes the door but me. 

Then it must be a high honor that Paul let me close his door :lol:

It's quicker, simpler, less rude to hit pilot isolate when you have an urgent communication then it is to try to stop a chatty passenger. And as someone else said, they're usually still yapping when you get back on and you can just nod like you heard the whole thing.

Just now, 201er said:

Then it must be a high honor that Paul let me close his door :lol:

It's quicker, simpler, less rude to hit pilot isolate when you have an urgent communication then it is to try to stop a chatty passenger. And as someone else said, they're usually still yapping when you get back on and you can just nod like you heard the whole thing.

Ok, no one but me... or other Mooney pilots owners even more experienced than I... close the door. :D

And so true about the pilot isolate button.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Ok, no one but me... or other Mooney pilots owners even more experienced than I... close the door. :D

The only two times I have had the door pop open was when I allowed a Mooney owner with more Mooney experience than I.  

• Haha 2

While the passenger briefing can and does impart useful knowledge, I think its greatest benefit may be to place the idea that an accident can happen in the mind of the passenger.

When things do go wrong, humans can sit for precious microseconds in denial.  A good briefing can convert denial into action.

I always brief my passenger(s).  It's  on my checklist.