Who's coming to Oshkosh?

JKSmith

Looking for tips on a fuel stop, for the plane and the passengers both.  We're planning to do our first overnight in Coeur d'Alene on Friday night.  Then get up and make a brief hop to 38S (Deer Lodge MT) to top off then head east with some aerial sight seeing over Yellowstone.  We after that we need a stop somewhere around the Mt Rushmore area.  Nothing seems to have food obviously available nearby and cheap fuel.

Edited by druidjaidan

List of Mooneyspacers that pledged to attend the get together in Oshkosh at the Mooney Caravan tent on Monday at 6 PM

Jastu23 + 2
Bob Belville + 1
Sabremech
JKSmith
gsxrpilot
Steingar
Hector
201er + 1
yvesg + 1
M20Doc
wishboneash
larryb
jetdriven + 1
Stinkbug + 1
cnoe (tentative)
Bob + 1
SoMooney
Guitarmaster
FlyingSchmidth
Ned Gravel + 1
N131MA

druidjaidan + 1.5

New list:

List of Mooneyspacers that pledged to attend the get together in Oshkosh at the Mooney Caravan tent on Monday at 6 PM

Jastu23 + 2
Bob Belville + 1
Sabremech
JKSmith
gsxrpilot
Steingar
Hector
201er + 1
yvesg + 1
M20Doc
wishboneash
larryb
jetdriven + 1
Stinkbug +1
cnoe (tentative)
Bob + 1
SoMooney
Guitarmaster
FlyingSchmidth
Ned Gravel + 1
N131MA
druidjaidan + 1.5
 tbrickey

13 hours ago, JKSmith said:

I'm slowly getting prepared. Is there anything I need to do before Oshkosh like pre buy tickets, pre register for anything, or bring special items? What do you guys normally bring along? 

image.jpeg

The NOTAM is conspicuously absent.

13 hours ago, JKSmith said:

I'm slowly getting prepared. Is there anything I need to do before Oshkosh like pre buy tickets, pre register for anything, or bring special items? What do you guys normally bring along? 

image.jpeg

I am wondering what is in that jug? Is that from previous flights? lolll

15 hours ago, JKSmith said:

image.jpeg

I am picking up the "claw" at the aircraft spruce tent at Oshkosh. Saved me some shipping $ and weight on the way in. It was suggested to take some square plywood pieces to put under the tyres in case the wheels get bogged down after rains.

• Like 2

Chocks are better than the claw.  There's a YouTube video of one breaking at 170 lbs of force. When the tornado came at sun-n-fun there were dozens of planes where the claws broke and they got loose.    Get any of the other tie down systems.  

Https://youtu.be/X2UC52sTQ64

Edited by jetdriven

7 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Chocks are better than the claw.  There's a YouTube video of one breaking at 170 lbs of force. When the tornado came at sun-n-fun there were dozens of planes where the claws broke and they got loose.    Get any of the other tie down systems.  

Https://youtu.be/X2UC52sTQ64

I have a set of the corkscrew type tie downs which I note EAA does not recommend. I'm considering fabricating some of the style on the EAA site using a steel plate and 3 long rods driven on an angle to each other. 

ISTM the corkscrew would work pretty well in the right soil. At Kerrville a few years ago we were parked just off the closed runway and the stakes would not penetrate the ground.   

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I have a set of the corkscrew type tie downs which I note EAA does not recommend. I'm considering fabricating some of the style on the EAA site using a steel plate and 3 long rods driven on an angle to each other. 

ISTM the corkscrew would work pretty well in the right soil. At Kerrville a few years ago we were parked just off the closed runway and the stakes would not penetrate the ground.   

The video is misleading.  The claw is designed to have equal tension on all three legs.   Not saying it's great, but the video was shot by a competitor that did not test it properly.  

24 minutes ago, slowflyin said:

The video is misleading.  The claw is designed to have equal tension on all three legs.   Not saying it's great, but the video was shot by a competitor that did not test it properly.  

Did you intend to quote Jetdriven?

My tie downs are the ones similar to those used by EAA. Painted rebar with a welded T.  With a good hammer.  

We also bring three pieces of 1"X 12" pine to roll the tires onto during the parking evolution.  We have a good tent and two double bed size air mattresses and all the camping gear that's fit to fit.  Our campsite.jpg

But in 2014, Ute and I decided we were no longer comfortable with the "roughing it" type of camping we enjoyed 40 years ago, and now we want the bathroom to be less than 100' away and without having to cross the grass to get to it multiple times at night.  So we are roughing it in more conventional accommodation with real beds close to the end of rwy 09.

We have lent our tent and the tables to a couple flying into Oshkosh this year for the first time in their Piper Arrow.  They are doing the Fisk arrival.  You know the one - busy GA airport with 100 foreign trainee student pilots in the pattern all at the same time. :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hector said: Wow, we are up to 33 folks or so. Very nice. Maybe we should get a keg or two delivered -

I'll put in some money for a keg.  I'm good for 50$.  Set it up. 

This will be my first time flying into Oshkosh so I'm not sure how to set this up. I'm wondering if I could get one of the food vendors to set it up. I'll make some calls.

We (my wife and me) will be attending the event for the first time. Tried number of time in the past but work always prevented us from taking a vacation at that time of year. Looking forward to see fellow Mooney Drives and there aircraft. 

19 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Chocks are better than the claw.  There's a YouTube video of one breaking at 250 lbs of force. When the tornado came at sun-n-fun there were dozens of planes where the claws broke and they got loose.    Get any of the other tie down systems.  

18 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Affirmative- was quoting Jetdriven