Angle of Attack for Ovation GX

Txbyker

Has anyone put an AOA indicator in a G-1000 equip Mooney?  I am looking at the Alpha System.  http://www.alphasystemsaoa.com/  There is a HUD version that will sit in the glare shield with flip up glass in front of you.  My worries are mounting it right in front with our narrow viewing space and also cutting into my glare shield to flush mount it.  Also, the panel needs to accept a 1"x1" calibration switch.  Just wondering how the real estate accepts it for any of you that have done it.

Russ

Russ, I have an AOA in my Bravo, prior to the install I kept changing my mind where I would put the darn thing. I eventually put it on the glare shield just left of the center post. It's totally in my line of sight and I'm quite pleased with the location. I've had it for about a year and half and its second nature from a viewing point.  

• Like 2

Pictures please! I've been considering an AOA indicator but have been concerned about cluttering up the very clean lines of my panel. I would really like it if Garmin would do something inside the G1000 PFD display, like Aspen has, but knowing the certification process this may be asking too much. So I'd like to see photos of how other G1000 folks have done this. Thanks!

I have the Alphasystems "Classic" mounted horizontally on the front edge of the glare shield just left of the center post - just like Danb. Always there in my peripheral vision. If I remember I'll take a picture on Saturday when I go to the airport.

• Like 1

ill have an Aspen AOA on the Bravo soon, and Ill pirep when I can. I thought about it needing to be really in the field of vision when looking out, but I find myself verifying what my Mark 1 sphincter muscles are telling me about airspeed with the Aspen and legacy guage anyway, so I don't *think* it will be a minus to have it displayed on the Aspen PFD

• Like 1

I ordered everything today including the HUD.  The HUD is 3.5" tall and with the slope of the glare shield I am thinking it will stick up about 2".  Mark at AOA commented all military put them right in direct view.  If it's distracting I'll return the HUD and mount it to the post.  Question, which wing access panel did you mount the probe?

Russ

Russ, be sure to tell the shop to set the probe at 40 degrees (probably the most acute they can get it), otherwise you'll find yourself doing a wasted calibration flight and making several calls to Alpha Systems (who are helpful but often busy).

Not sure how to designate the panel, but mine is on the right wing and a bit over the halfway mark towards the wing tip. The little box was put inside the cover on the left side of the right footwell. 

Good luck.

Robert

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2015 at 3:03 PM, Robert C. said:

Russ, be sure to tell the shop to set the probe at 40 degrees (probably the most acute they can get it), otherwise you'll find yourself doing a wasted calibration flight and making several calls to Alpha Systems (who are helpful but often busy).

Not sure how to designate the panel, but mine is on the right wing and a bit over the halfway mark towards the wing tip. The little box was put inside the cover on the left side of the right footwell. 

Good luck.

Robert

OK Robert, I didn't follow your instructions and the AOA was set to 50 degrees and it didn't work.  Not sure where you mounted the probe but mine is on the right wing outside of the landing light and about mid way under the wing (see attached).  Can you tell me if your probe is in a similar place?  The picture here has it changed for 45 degrees.

Russ

probe.jpg

Hi Russ,

can't to my plane to check but as I recall its about half way between the wheel doors and the wing tip. Can't quite judge from your picture whether it's the same panel or not.

i'm guessing it's more the angle than how far out on the wing.

Also, when calibrating in flight I had no problem setting Vso but at first couldn't get the upper value to calibrate. I was trying to set it to about 110kts as flap up speed but that was just too slow for it to stick. When I calibrated it at ~125kts it worked fine.

Good luck!

Robert

Robert,

I am thinking step one is ground calibration reset, then set at 1.3x clean stall which is about 81-82 knots, then Va which should be around 125 knots.  Are you saying the 1.3x worked and not the Va?  

I ordered HUD and flap module.  I will write this up when done.

Thanks,

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Alpha Systems AOA mounted in a cut out in the edge of the Ovation glare panel.  You can see it mounted in the pictures in my gallery.

It is in my line of sight when landing and looking out the windshield.  No matter whether you have a system like mine, or HUD, you still need to adjust your focus from infinity to inside the cockpit.

John Breda

• Like 1

I have the alpha system too.  I just got the row of lights but I put it on the back side of the glare shield as shown in the picture, which I like more than mounting it at the front of the glare shield nearer the pilot.  I was thinking about just what you described John, which is trying to be able to focus at infinity while looking out the window to the end of the runway during flare, but trying at the same time to get the angle of attack indication.  With the light panel there, I can see what colors are showing even though it is not in focus as I am focusing on infinity, because the bright lights come through as unmistakable even though I am not focusing on them.  Two yellow, one yellow, blue, then red, all in sequence while focusing at infinity during those critical moments of short final.  In fact I like this arrangement more than the hud - which I almost got, but decided this was good.

IMG_4974.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought I would follow up with a PIREP on the Alpha AOA installation on a Mooney GX as original poster. 

After reading reviews and understanding that Garmin would probably never integrate a solution into the panel I bought the Alpha AOA.  With it I got most of the options, heated probe, heads up display, and an IO connector that would allow you to set another AOA for full flaps.

Maxwell installed my AOA.  I believe it was his first if I am not mistaken.  The process seems somewhat simple and I would imagine most A&Ps can probably accomplish the install.  Mark, owner of Alpha is good in that he will work directly with you and your A&P IA and council you through each step.

You can see the panel that holds the AOA probe and where Don installed it on the right wing.  Note:  Alpha says start the probe at 50 degrees.  There are small locking pin locations that allow you to set the probe at various angles in regards to the wings chord.  As Robert says in preceding post, do not waste your time at 50 degrees and proceed directly to 40 degrees for our Mooneys.  You will most likely need to get a round file and round out the metal mount plate such that the probe can move to the 40 degree pin as the metal on the plate will block it that far of an angle.

My control module to adjust the settings was put in the panel where a blank insert on my Mooney existed.  This may be the location for FIKI or other but on my plane it was a blank insert.  That actual control IO module is laying under the glareshield in the center of my dash.  Once you set your AOA on test flights you will probably not use the control module in the panel much.

I was sold an IO to enable you to sense another AOA, that being the full flap AOA.  In order to hook that feature up you must have a positive on off sensing switch for full flap that the Alpha AOA connects too.  For a GX Mooney you do not have this sensing of full flap.  The G1000 is the indicator for your flaps being full and there is nothing to connect to so mine is not hooked up. This is still TBD as Alpha was working with Maxwell and that portion was not figured out yet.  But, the unit works fine without full flap sensing and I have learned that instead of a full blue circle when in full flaps I shoot for a upper half blue arc for that particular AOA.

The AOA indicator was mounted to the center post as we feared cutting into the glare shield.  But after a few hours I realized it is best positioned on the glare shield as Mark at Alpha states.  It was an easy installation for the HUD.  The indicator is actually mounted under the glare shield upside down and projects up onto the glass.  I can flip the glass up and down. 

Since I installed the AOA I feel like speeds on landing are much more accurate.  I shoot for an upper blue arc when crossing the numbers.  So far I seem to touch down at a better speed with less float and shorter roll out.  When climbing I do not climb at a great enough angle to effect the AOA but if I was doing short field or greatest climb rate then I can climb per the indicator.  I tried to 50 and 60 degree turns to see if the AOA would indicate near stall but was doing them at about 110 kts and never did the AOA show anything close to stall.    

The AOA should not be used in lieu of good training and skills but all in all I think it was a good investment.

Russ

Control.jpg

HUD Closed.jpg

HUD Lit.jpg

Probe location.jpg

Probe.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

What tells the flaps that they are at full extension?  Position switch or current sensor/logic on the flap motor?

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony,

Good question and one we could not figure out.  Measuring current on the flap toggle switch did not work.  The current on that switch is zero on the connector posts.  Must be something within the G1000 integrated circuits perhaps.  

Russ