Right Nose gear door, light oil streaking

Loogie

Was wondering if anyone has their right side nose wheel door get some oil on it; after I fly it, it gets some oil streaks.  The left side has the vent tube and I get some drips after I shut down.  But the right side nose gear door gets some streaking, no abnormal oil consumption btw, my engine is happy at about 6 1/4 QTs.  

Any suggestions on how to either reroute the streak of oil or make it stop? Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, nose gear doors do accumulate some oil, so what you are seeing is most probably nothing serious. If you want to get rid of it, one way is to install an air-oil separator such as that provided by Air Wolf or M20.  I think you can find them both on Aircraft Spruce. I had one of these on my prior J and it did a really good job of keeping oil off the belly. However, there are differing opinions on whether or not these are really a good idea, with at least one prominent expert (Mike Busch) claiming they are actually harmful to your engine. So you have to decide how important it is to you and who you want to believe. But from my experience anyway, they do work as advertised.

So my factory new engine must be dangerous because it doesn't leak so I don't have oil turn over. :)

-Robert

I'm just explaining the reasoning, But if I had a factory new engine that I just paid big $ for, I would be changing my oil closer to the lower end of the recommended 25-50 hr change interval.

I seldom disagree with Mike Busch, but on this issue I do. The vapor is being dumped overboard, with of without an air/oil separator. The oil itself (containing whatever liquid contaminants are there) are returned to the crankcase. I don't see why the contaminated oil going to the separator is of any different composition than the remaining oil. I think the idea that pumping your oil out a small amount at a time to allow you to replace it with fresh oil, is pretty weak. If you think your oil needs to be replaced sooner, just reduce the time/hour interval for changes.

I try to keep an open mind and will listen to any different opinion.

A little bit of oil goes a long way when it is blown back at 150 +kts and combined with dirt ect.  I am sure it is nothing and I have never seen a plane that flys without oil streaks but if you want to be sure pop the cowling and look for any obvious signs.  If you have the "Dual Mag" just make sure it is tight.  You could always do what I did and paint the belly black :-)