Can we start talking about Oshkosh yet?

Last year was my first time. With the Mooney Caravan we landed and taxied the length of the North 40 on the grass and in the rain. No problem, the grass is fine at Oshkosh.  I brought 3 small kitchen cutting boards to park on to keep from sinking into the soft grass during the week. Made it much easier to pull the plane forward between the rows for starting and departure.

I've not been to Osh, but do visit grass fields on a semi-regular basis. Flaps up, yoke fully back, and don't go too fast. Watch the ground in front of you. It will take extra power. I camped for most of a week at SnF, then stayed an extra day because the ground was too soggy for me.

Hank- I hope you consider going to OSH. It's like SnF on steroids.

Hank- I hope you consider going to OSH. It's like SnF on steroids.

I'd love to, but keep running into lack of available time away from work. Just started my second new job in less than 18 months, that eats into allotted time off. First company was purchased, followed by culture change with many "encouraged" early retirements and mini layoffs; second was a startup (I naively thought "factory start up" which I had done before; but they were pre-commercial, and their large investors had a cash flow problem, resulting in laying off > 1/3 of the company).

Maybe next year? (Like I've never said THAT before!

• Like 1

I might be tempted to take a last minute flight (all the way from South Africa) to attend Oshkosh (hopefully some excellent last minute deals come available).  It would be fantastic to fly into Oshkosh in a Mooney.  If there is anyone that is looking for an extra set of eyes in the cockpit please let me know so I can start looking at flights, etc. to your departure point.

Thanks in advance!

I might be tempted to take a last minute flight (all the way from South Africa) to attend Oshkosh (hopefully some excellent last minute deals come available).  It would be fantastic to fly into Oshkosh in a Mooney.  If there is anyone that is looking for an extra set of eyes in the cockpit please let me know so I can start looking at flights, etc. to your departure point.

Thanks in advance!

Tony I may have a copilot, not sure. If your willing to come in all the was from South Africa I'm willing to bet we can find you a seat somewhere in the Caravan. Note Caravan is from Maddison. PM me if your serious and I'll get to work on seeing what we can work out. You can for sure ride in my plane, just may not be in right seat.

Let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Tony suggest you PM Cowboy on this site or PM me and I'll provide his email. Also with your permission I'll post on Caravan Group Email.

Let me know.

I have had the O in the grass at Sloshkosh, a few years ago...

Prop clearance is huge, but going too fast or falling in a hole will take up the extra space.

Distances are long, but, nobody is going to rush you.

After a few days in the soft soil, 280 hp was not enough to break out of the ground...(not recommended)

Met some nice people to help get rolling.

The O has been camping in SnF as well...

Taxi slowly,

-a-

I have been to OSH many times in a Mooney or other GA airplane.  If the ground is wet and has been taxied over by many airplanes be very careful..  If you hit a big bump and the ground is rising (only slightly) in front you have a good chance of hitting the prop.  Some of the ground personnel vigorously wave you on.  Resist the urge to speed up.  The best defense to having a ground strike is to move at the pace of a human walk.  Sometimes you have to taxi a long ways and cross taxiways.  Resist the urge to pickup the pace.  Their are lots of hazards hidden in the grass and when you are tired from the flight and its hot you are not as sharp as normal.  Parking on plywood squares is a good idea and turning the airplane 90 degrees to the parking line before you start the engine will be appreciated by all who are parked nearby.  Have a good time at OSH and remember to fly friendly and taxi friendly.

Tony suggest you PM Cowboy on this site or PM me and I'll provide his email. Also with your permission I'll post on Caravan Group Email.

Let me know.

PM sent. You are more than welcome to post on the Caravan Group email.

Tony

There is a reserved time slot for MooneySpace posters to get to know each other:

Monday:

6:00 pm - MooneySpace Forum Social Gathering

North 40 Mooney Caravan HQ Tent

This is an opportunity to meet with the guys that post on this forum.

Who is planning to be there?

Yves

There is a reserved time slot for MooneySpace posters to get to know each other:

Monday:

6:00 pm - MooneySpace Forum Social Gathering

Yves

I plan to be there RocketAviator / RocketMan aka Lacee

Lord Willing will see those that come there!

I see on the Mooney Owners schedule that gsxrpilot / Rocket aka Paul Steen a fellow Texas Wing friend is representative for the MooneySpace for Q&A.

Monday:

6:00 pm - MooneySpace Forum Social Gathering

North 40 Mooney Caravan HQ Tent

Yves

Me, NotarPilot and jerry-N5911Q will be there (right guys?)

Looking forward to putting faces/voices with the names I've seen for over 6 years.

David (Sabremech)- any idea where you will be? Can you post your location on this forum or will you be checking your e-mail?

I'm sure a lot of us who've been following your progress would really like to see your cowling.

David (Sabremech)- any idea where you will be? Can you post your location on this forum or will you be checking your e-mail?

I'm sure a lot of us who've been following your progress would really like to see your cowling.

Depending when David arrives, we might be able to have him park with the Mooney Caravan. David, which day do you plan to arrive?

Yves

If all goes well and my Mooney is back together, I plan on bringing it up Friday the 17th and park in the North 40 somewhere. If space is available and I'm able to move up by the Caravan Mooney's, I'll do my best to get it there.

Thank you,

David

• Like 1

If all goes well and my Mooney is back together, I plan on bringing it up Friday the 17th and park in the North 40 somewhere. If space is available and I'm able to move up by the Caravan Mooney's, I'll do my best to get it there.

Thank you,

David

David, all you have to do is to get in your plane Sunday morning at around 11 AM and taxi westbound... this is when the caravan shall arrive and you will be parked near us for sure. Marshallers will have no clue you were not just arriving.

Yves

• Like 1

To see where we were parked last year, click on the following link (warning: this is a large file, might not work on tablets). Note that this is a Google image from a few years back... we don't see Mooneys there.

The tent was where the red X is.

Yves

http://www.reseaumenage.com/CFQKM/photos/oshkosh_parking.jpg