Audio panel and intercom

i currently have just the basic audio switches and marker beacon on my panel, but want to upgrade to get rid of the bulky intercom boxes I have all over my cabin. I was looking at a second hand kma 24h. In this case, I would have to retain my marker beacon separately. I was also considering to find a used pma6000b. Does anyone have any CB solutions that would have integrated marker beacon and 4 place intercom in one unit?

I picked up some Lemo plug Bose headsets on the cheap, and looking to utilize the Lemo plug wire kits that came with them.

Any ideas on what I could expect as far as labor cost to install a audio panel that would include a marker and intercom?

i currently have just the basic audio switches and marker beacon on my panel, but want to upgrade to get rid of the bulky intercom boxes I have all over my cabin. I was looking at a second hand kma 24h. In this case, I would have to retain my marker beacon separately. I was also considering to find a used pma6000b. Does anyone have any CB solutions that would have integrated marker beacon and 4 place intercom in one unit?

I picked up some Lemo plug Bose headsets on the cheap, and looking to utilize the Lemo plug wire kits that came with them.

Any ideas on what I could expect as far as labor cost to install a audio panel that would include a marker and intercom?

I seem to recall that the 'H' model has a built in intercom but no marker?  I'd go for a PS engineering PS6000 or 7000 and have done with Bendix King stuff.  The 7000's have better buttons, are usually stereo and marker, and reasonably affordable to repair.

Don

The last few releases of audio panels from both Garmin and PSEngineering seem to have standardized around the Garmin 340 pinout and rack so its just a matter of sliding the new one in. I recently purchased a 340 that was less than a year old from someone who decided that that they wanted one with built in Bluetooth.  They included the 340 with the new rack and install kit for $700 and I spent an additional $160 on wire, stereo jacks, and supplies to install.

The last few releases of audio panels from both Garmin and PSEngineering seem to have standardized around the Garmin 340 pinout and rack so its just a matter of sliding the new one in. I recently purchased a 340 that was less than a year old from someone who decided that that they wanted one with built in Bluetooth. They included the 340 with the new rack and install kit for $700 and I spent an additional $160 on wire, stereo jacks, and supplies to install.

So is the ps6000b using the same rack as the garmin 340?

I just saw a ps6000b go on eBay for $260

I think the 8000's and up use the same rack and general pinout as the garmin 340's and up, the ones before that did not. There may be an extra input or 2 on one that the other doesn't have, but the pins to the basic features are the same.

Also may want to look at the Garmin selection of audio panels and compare features and cost. Garmin is the standard.

Wasn't there a thread recently that talked about poor customer service and high repair costs for Garmin audio panels? And that you had to have a Garmin Dealer to even just remove the audio panel for repair?

PS Engineering- any A&P can install.

• Like 1

...PS Engineering- any A&P can install.

As long as the wiring harness is purchased from PS Engineering.

A PS Engineering needs to be installed by a dealer otherwise.

A Garmin needs to be installed by dealer.

Either way you pay. Take your pick.

Good timing on this post Browncbr1!  My COM1 stopped transmitting yesterday for some reason, and my A&P thinks it may be the audio panel (KMA 20 TSO).  I started exploring my options and thought to see what everyone thought on here.  Sounds like the PS Engineering is the way to go if a replacement is necessary.  Thanks all!

Good timing on this post Browncbr1!  My COM1 stopped transmitting yesterday for some reason, and my A&P thinks it may be the audio panel (KMA 20 TSO).  I started exploring my options and thought to see what everyone thought on here.  Sounds like the PS Engineering is the way to go if a replacement is necessary.  Thanks all!

My KMA 20 was rock solid. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact there was no integrated intercom. 

My KMA 20 was rock solid. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact there was no integrated intercom.

Right, otherwise I wouldn't have been wondering what to do. I have a friend with an extra one of those he would nearly give me, but I really want to get rid of the clunky intercom boxes everywhere and wire in all my Lemo plug headsets. It seems the real cost involved is all about installation.

I don't know if this matters to anyone, but Garmin won't let you buy their stuff unless you are a dealer.  That was the case with my transponder, anyway.  I ended up ordering my KT74 from Sarasota and installing it locally since that could be purchased by anyone.  Saved me a few bucks versus local pricing.  

What if I bought a ps unit second hand and itcomes with the rack and about two ft of wires. Can my a&p install if the unit has been tested by a non dealer avionics shop?

What if I bought a ps unit second hand and itcomes with the rack and about two ft of wires. Can my a&p install if the unit has been tested by a non dealer avionics shop?

I bought mine new with the rack.  Take it with a grain of salt b/c it's what the shop told me.  It's a decent amount of work to do.  Also, the tray is riveted which takes more time than simply unscrewing it.  I know it doesn't answer your question about an A&P, but I don't know how simple it is to have a non-avionics person do the install.

Either one can be purchased used and installed by an AP.  Another way to get around the dealer install/warranty is buy a case/install kit off ebay or other online source, install it and then fly to a dealer and tell them you had a garmin or PS engineering and want to replace it with the other.  Most avionics can also be purchased mail order from a dealer if you tell them it is going into an experimental.  Some will ask for the N number, others don't seem to care.

You really don't want to start splicing several wires on an audio panel.  If the harness was cut off when removed,  build a new one.

The PS engineering does not need to be installed by a dealer

Simple swap by an A&P with you are replacing the same TSO'ed equipment (redo weight and balance).  Simple swap from a paper work standpoint only.

Installing an Audio panel is very labor intensive. It talks to almost every other unit + power + antenna + 4 jacks (P + coP + passengers).    

Form 337 required if new equipment

The PS engineering does not need to be installed by a dealer

Simple swap by an A&P with you are replacing the same TSO'ed equipment (redo weight and balance).  Simple swap from a paper work standpoint only.

Installing an Audio panel is very labor intensive. It talks to almost every other unit + power + antenna + 4 jacks (P + coP + passengers).    

Form 337 required if new equipment

Agree with this entire post except the 337.

Technically, an audio panel installation does not meet the FAA's definition of a Major Aleration, so it does not require a 337.

A 337 is recommended as an additional, detailed record of the installation, including ICA's.

Or so says my FSDO to me.

I'm wondering if I would be better off just getting one of the pma4000 intercom units that go into one of the round holes. I wonder if the install cost of this would be a lot less.

As OR mentioned, the big thing with these audio panels is the wiring to the jacks. If you buy a 4 place audio panel intercom, you will be looking at the labor to pull the side panels to run wires to the rear for seat jacks. If you are planning on doing a radio upgrade, it would be cheaper to try to bundle upgrades.

agreed with ps engineering.  I just installed a pma450, and it cost $1300 to install.  They got rid of my kma24 and ps1000 intercom. .

For the Original Poster- you should contact r bridges and offer to buy his KMA24 and PS1000. The KMA-24 is probably the most bullet proof audio panel out there and still looks good in any panel. The PS 1000 is practically the industry standard for intercoms. Definitely the Cheapest B@$tard solution.

Guess what I have in my panel?