Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

Aesthetics are wonderful.  I wonder about the CFM requirements for engine cooling AND induction being adequate thru the two smaller plenum openings.  The LoPresti cowling has the induction separate with a large side mounted NACA scoop and even they brag about how the openings for their cowling is forced close up to behind the prop for higher pressure/adequate CFM for cooling.  And the engineering they worked up to develop their design.  I guess that's what test flights are for.  Best of luck!

Since several posts were lost during a Mooneyspace software update, I'll repost some of the information. The airflow for my cowling will be similar to the Vans aircraft RV series running the same engine as the Mooney and with the air filter in the left cylinder cooling air inlet. Not a lot of new engineering required.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

David, any ballpark idea about what the cost will be ??

I'm sure it will be quite reasonable when compared to Lopresti pricing.

David, care to tackle one for my 400?

Clarence

Hi Clarence,

I'm sure I could do one, but you'd have to leave me your airplane for way too long I'm afraid.

My target price is way below the LoPresti cowling.

Thanks,

David

The one on the 400 is already made of fibreglass. I bought a replacement for my 400, it just not nearly a nice as the one you're making for the Mooney. I'm jealous

Clarence

There are a lot more vintage Mooneys, especially Cs, Es, Fs than PA-24-400s. Just saying...

There were only so many IO720's to go around. Lycoming, knowing how frugal Mooney owners are didn't even offer one to Mooney to try out. That left Mooney with those awful gold engines.

Clarence

Hi Cliffy,

I'll include the D. It might not be in the first STC just like the pre 66 airplanes, but I do plan on doing an STC for the 65 and older birds. There's a cowling set on EBay right now I'm contemplating buying for the early planes at a reasonable price. I think I get them for the future mod. It will work with the three blade prop with the correct part number spinner. I'll work more on specifics of that later on in the mod.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. While I'm waiting on the fiberglass work I've turned my attention to the new baffling. I have another cowling I can put on to do most of the baffling except for the front two cylinders. The new prototype carb airbox is being fabricated and should be ready for installation and fitting in a few weeks. I won't have much for pictures for a while, but work is being done.

Thanks again,

David

Dave I have a lower cowl that is available to you if you would like it, It is for the B/early C models. I bought it for the lasar cowl enclosure but ended up just pulling parts and modifying my cowl. if you want it it is yours for the cost of shipping.

PM me

Brian

It looks like I've run out of time for my Mooney to make Oshkosh. Too much to finish and can not rush it. With that, I plan on bringing the major parts that will make up a kit and have them as well as pictures available at the Mooneyspace gathering Monday night. I'm also available during the week if anyone can't attend the gathering to go over the parts and pictures and can be reached on my cell. My cell and e-mail are available on my website gdsaero.com.

Thank you,

David

• Like 2

It looks like I've run out of time for my Mooney to make Oshkosh. Too much to finish and can not rush it. With that, I plan on bringing the major parts that will make up a kit and have them as well as pictures available at the Mooneyspace gathering Monday night. I'm also available during the week if anyone can't attend the gathering to go over the parts and pictures and can be reached on my cell. My cell and e-mail are available on my website gdsaero.com.

Thank you,

David

Sounds like a group fly out to your shop may be in order.

Clarence

Thank you,

David

David plans to be at the Mooney Summit in October and will be displaying his Mooney and this classy cowl mod, answering questions etc. Welcome David!