High Sierra flying

Nicely shot video, liked the time laps images but weather that was piperpainter or not those back country tail draggers missed a rare bird indeed and should have captured the rare imagery of a Mooney bush pilot. but then they may have not wanted to show that those back country airplanes arent the only ones can enjoy that kind of country.

agreed GO MOONEY!

Somebody artfully edited the footage. Looks like Bryan photobombed the back country fly in!

Who needs big tires?

Go Mooney!

-a-

That was either Bryan or his twin plane from here. At least I've seen another avatar that looks very similar. But he's the only back country Mooney pilot I've ever seen! C's are capable, versatile aircraft.

Haha Wow a thread about me!

Yes, that was me! I will be headed up there this next thursday to scope out a bunch of new airstrips so I can lead a group of newer/less experienced/smaller tire guys at our now 5th Annual fly in to the lakebed. If you look for the other video from BCP on youtube you'll find a teaser...the teaser shows me flying with my friends 180. Pretty cool shots from a drone! I must say it was funny because as we where flying he told me he was going to slow down....he pulled power, which I did as well....and then he dropped his flaps! I told him he can't do that to a Mooney driver! We don't slow down that fast....haha 

Anyway, we had 1 other Mooney guy last year come out. The lakebed is super smooth and about 1400-1600ft long with nearly no climb out. It's awesome and I am very excited. If you bring your Mooney's I'll be there. We have fireworks, tannerite, guns, BBQ, pumpkin drop, and other fun....especially adult beverages. 

PS. Not to much of a photobomb! I help coordinate/post the event flyers for these :D

• Like 4

Haha Wow a thread about me!

Yes, that was me! I will be headed up there this next thursday to scope out a bunch of new airstrips so I can lead a group of newer/less experienced/smaller tire guys at our now 5th Annual fly in to the lakebed. If you look for the other video from BCP on youtube you'll find a teaser...the teaser shows me flying with my friends 180. Pretty cool shots from a drone! I must say it was funny because as we where flying he told me he was going to slow down....he pulled power, which I did as well....and then he dropped his flaps! I told him he can't do that to a Mooney driver! We don't slow down that fast....haha

Anyway, we had 1 other Mooney guy last year come out. The lakebed is super smooth and about 1400-1600ft long with nearly no climb out. It's awesome and I am very excited. If you bring your Mooney's I'll be there. We have fireworks, tannerite, guns, BBQ, pumpkin drop, and other fun....especially adult beverages.

PS. Not to much of a photobomb! I help coordinate/post the event flyers for these :D

It is really amazing I can't stop watching the video. My sons (6 and 3) are telling me lets go flying there!

• Like 1

Haha My buddy from the BCP website made this. This was some cool footage from last years fly in.....and a picture of me getting stuck the year before that! But it doesn't make me feel bad when you consider that even big tired pilots get stuck. 

maule%2520stuck%2520in%2520sand.jpg

I'm curious how this happens?  Did it rain, and turn to mud?  Is the dirt that soft?  What about a prop strike?  There is not much clearance on a Mooney. 

ChrisK....Sometimes it's hard at first and then as soon as you stop....it starts to sink. I have a friend with 31" Alaska Bush wheels that had his entire...tire sink..... Luckily he got it out no damage. I didn't hit mine either. That was the first thing I checked. I have about a 1/2 inch less prop clearance than a Cessna 182 with a 2 blade prop. Which most people would say is more of a backcountry airplane....If your prop is low you need new donuts or engine mounts....or a shorter prop! :D

ChrisK....Sometimes it's hard at first and then as soon as you stop....it starts to sink. I have a friend with 31" Alaska Bush wheels that had his entire...tire sink..... Luckily he got it out no damage. I didn't hit mine either. That was the first thing I checked. I have about a 1/2 inch less prop clearance than a Cessna 182 with a 2 blade prop. Which most people would say is more of a backcountry airplane....If your prop is low you need new donuts or engine mounts....or a shorter prop! :D

I have a 231.  It was built with limited prop clearance, certainly under a foot.  I hear the rocket conversion have even less.  I think I'll skip this adventure in my plane.

Well the dry lake bed we go to is actually very hard and smooth. We even had a lake and republic sea bee out there. And guys with 5.0 mains! I saw a rocket today and agree the newer/heavier nosed models do have far less prop clearance. I won't deny that. But the older models, like C/E/F/G and probaby the J's are good to go! I would love to have an F! But my C is going to do what I need it to for now, or until the RV-10 comes into my life someday!

• Like 1