Needing Transponder

Wakeup

Looking for a yellow tagged Transponder that will fit into my existing tray for KT76TSO. Please Pm me of you have one. Thanks. Troy

I own another plane with a kt 76 (non-A).  I see plain 76's coming up from time to time, presumably as people are upgrading.  If you're not ready to buy new, go to the regular sites (ebay, barnstormers, even craigslist) a few times a day and it shouldn't take long to find one for a few hundred.  I saw a KT78 recently for $100 somewhere.  The plain 76 was a slide-in replacement for the 78 so I assume a 78 could replace your 76...

Troy, I originally had a KT-76.  Several years ago, I started having some issues with it, my tron fixed it, but told me I needed to up-grade to something newer.  While it is all total Greek to me, he told me that the "cavity tubes" of that era were all drying up and that they would all be failing eventually and replacement cavity tubes were non-existant..

I found a KT-76A for $600 and sold my repaired KT-76 for $600 on eBay.  My tron didn't charge much for the swap out since he was putting a GNS 430 in at the same time.  I have no idea if "cavity tubes" really are drying up....but that's what I was told.

You might think about something other than an old style transponder.

Of course, now I'm in the market for a KT-74.

Wanna buy a "nearly new" KT-76A?   :unsure:

I heard a similar tale from my avionics guy when my KT-76 threw craps.  It was not economical to repair, and the only tray-compatible unit was a re-branded Cessna/ARC version, and there weren't many of those "out there" either.  It is very likely good money after bad trying to keep one of these going, so you should prepare for something newer.

That's funny you talk about the tubes drying up because my guy said almost the same thing and it would cost about $500 to fix. I found a KT76 on EBAY from a guy that upgraded his panel and sold it to me for $175.00. I thought for that price I would risk it and keep up my reputation for being a Cheap Ass :) I will let you know if I got lucky or for screwed :) Thanks Troy

.....I thought for that price I would risk it and keep up my reputation for being a Cheap Ass :)

Good work, Troy. As a Mooney owner that just confirms you officially as a CB (cheap ba$tard)

Only Cezzzzna guys are cheap asses ;)

• Like 1

Good work, Troy. As a Mooney owner that just confirms you officially as a CB (cheap ba$tard)

Only Cezzzzna guys are cheap asses ;)

We certainly haven't awarded the Cheap Bast&$d of the week in a bit (probably because we are too cheap to give out an award), but this certainly qualifies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your 2 cents kpc. I will apply it to my next annual, gas and oil. I'm not sure how me getting a great deal on someone's unwanted avionics that I could slide into my tray makes you concerned for my well being?? I was just excited about an easy fix until I have funds for a new panel like yours. Regards Troy

I didn't personally put it in the tray, my avionics guy did. The shop was a little bummed because I was going to put in a newer Garmin transponder in before I found a replacement. On my trip to KS last weekend I was within 100 feet. I can't say enough about Gann Aviation.....Carlos, Rick and Ron are great guys. Troy