Short Body Rear Seat Leg Room

Good day, all.  I am currently trying to sell my early '63 Cherokee 180 (pre-stretched fuselage of '73) so I may upgrade to an E and was wondering how the rear seat of a short Mooney compares to that of my Cherokee.  I assume like me, many pilots here started out in Cherokees.  Can I plan on about the same level of comfort for rear seat pax?  Mine is not great for traveling in the back but it is tolerable for a couple of hours and I would be well pleased if the Mooney was as comfortable.  Thanks in advance.

Two adults in the rear is a tight fit. You will be good for a 2-3 hrs at a time. Usually it's the men up front and ladies in the back seat. Neither ladies are more than 125 pounds, but the men..well that's a different story. Lets just say we pack light and don't fill the tanks to the top on a hot day.

I had a '67 PA180 also and now a 64C and and as stated, really no difference in the two as far as back seats go.  Maybe a slight edge to the Cherokee.  What I remember most from the transition is that the Mooney panel and windshield was more in my face than the Cherokee.  Again, slight edge in ergonomics goes to the Piper.  But oh, do you make it up for it in some many other catagories with the Mooney.

Don

Back-seaters will be suffering for far less time in the Mooney compared to the Cherokee.  ;)

FWIW, my brother and I grew up in the back of an M20C traveling about on our summer vacations.  It was fine for us, but I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in the back of a short body as a big adult.  The G/F/J+ back seats are good enough for adults, though, after the front seats are moved forward into a regular position.

• Like 1

Just my opinion....a short body Mooney is perfect for two people, but can carry more in a pinch.

I've never ridden in the back, but those who have, tell me it's okay once the entry procedure is complete. It is good practice for the low-cost airlines. :-)

• Like 2

Just my opinion....a short body Mooney is perfect for two people, but can carry more in a pinch.

I've never ridden in the back, but those who have, tell me it's okay once the entry procedure is complete. It is good practice for the low-cost airlines. :-)

definitely more fun riding in the back of your Hatz biplane.

This subject has been covered in other posts as for us it's just me and my wife one thing is how tall are you. I have short legs and put my seat up almost all the way forward and my wife can do the same when we do carry people in the back and our short body has been fine longest trips have only been just over 4 hours but no complaints from the back.

• Like 1

Once the folks in back realize that in 2 hours' time they will reach 6-8 hours' driving distance, the complaints decrease, especially if it's to somewhere fun. I took three of my wife's cousins from just above Wilmington to Kitty Hawk and back, fueling to 34 gallons to go each direction. The only complaint was to put the beach on the other side of the plane from time to time, so that both backseaters could see it. Circling the lighthouses was appreciated by all, despite going in only one direction.

It was summer, we were low for visibility, and all were happy to deplane.

• Like 4

Good day, all.  I am currently trying to sell my early '63 Cherokee 180 (pre-stretched fuselage of '73) so I may upgrade to an E and was wondering how the rear seat of a short Mooney compares to that of my Cherokee. 

There's a rear seat in an E? Shoot, mine's in annual or I'd run down to the hangar and look.

• Like 4

I fit 4 average size adults (5'10" and 175lbs) in my B model all the time. Its a tight fit when trying to fit people that are more than 250lbs but have fit one 250lb person with me in the front and one in the back a number of times. Its really not to bad with the front seats moved up. Getting in and out sometimes is the hardest part.

• Like 1

I can only attest to a C but I jest with anyone who is curious that my plane is a two-place airplane with four seats.

Both the wife and I prefer the aftermost seat-lock position for flight. That makes an easy reach for the "storage bench" rear seat but would be a miserable ride for anyone who had to sit on it. I've tried it out of curiosity and it would be impossible for me to occupy the rear quarters unless I had it to myself and could use the whole rear seat.

The density altitudes I operate at add another wrinkle to the utility of the back seat.

I guess it comes down to how many folks you intend to carry and how tall the front seat occupants are. My short body is perfect for us that's one of the things I like about Mooney's they are compact. I don't fly a big piper or beech for the same reason I don't drive a big ass SUV they are great airplanes just not for me. Same with a long body I don't need the extra room.

• Like 2

I guess it comes down to how many folks you intend to carry and how tall the front seat occupants are. My short body is perfect for us that's one of the things I like about Mooney's they are compact. I don't fly a big piper or beech for the same reason I don't drive a big ass SUV they are great airplanes just not for me. Same with a long body I don't need the extra room.

I drive a Crossfire to the airport and I've never owned a minivan. A man has to have a little pride. 

post-8913-0-43757200-1403527407_thumb.jp

• Like 1