Has anyone installed a Precision Avionics, Inc. PAI-700 with the PACMO-VMN custom mount? Lighting 28V, 14V, 5V, or no light? Would the PAI-700 with the PACMO-VMN box section windscreen divider mount and 14V lighting be an appropriate replacement for the windscreen-mounted and lighted whiskey compass in my 1966 M20C S/N:3261?

Has anyone installed a Precision Avionics, Inc. PAI-700 with the PACMO-VMN custom mount? Lighting 28V, 14V, 5V, or no light? Would the PAI-700 with the PACMO-VMN box section windscreen divider mount and 14V lighting be an appropriate replacement for the windscreen-mounted and lighted whiskey compass in my 1966 M20C S/N:3261?
I answered some of your other questions on this thread: http://mooneyspace.com/topic/10923-compass-swing/?hl=+vertical++compass I have the HMN version, so I don't know if it is the one required on your vintage. The difference is the holes are located on the sides of the bracket or on the back of the bracket. I have the steel pole coming up the middle. http://www.chiefaircraft.com/pcn-pacmo-hmn.html My installation ( it shows the balancing balls and the mount): post-9886-13882876424643_thumb.jpg You will want the lighted version with the same voltage as your airplane. Mine is a 14V. It will be wired into the same dimming rheostat as your panel lights. Hope this helps.

I actually had to swap my PAI-700 out due to magnetization issues with the roll cage for a SIRS compass.  For me, it seems to work better in a truly possessed aircraft. 

I have the magnetic issue. My first machanic told me the first one I had was broke, so I order a new one only to find I had the same issue. The new one is off buy about 10 degress as well.

Try the balancing balls... Even the heavy iron uses them. This is a picture of a Citation with the balancing balls on top of the compass.

post-9886-0-96151100-1388336654_thumb.jp

I had a Precision Avionics, Inc. PAI-700 with the PACMO-VMN custom mount in my 65E but didn’t like the vibration associated with thin sheet metal mount.  I designed a more rigid unit that mounts in the same fashion as our GPS mount and offer them on my web site.  Here’s a link to both items. http://www.hendricksmfg.com/catalog.html?Vl=5&Tp=2

Try the balancing balls... Even the heavy iron uses them. This is a picture of a Citation with the balancing balls on top of the compass.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Not wishing to sound bombastic... however, the balls in the Citation photo may indeed serve a dual purpose as compensating balls but, as far as I know, their primary purpose is as a reference for seat adjustment.

• Like 1

Not wishing to sound bombastic... however, the balls in the Citation photo may indeed serve a dual purpose as compensating balls but, as far as I know, their primary purpose is as a reference for seat adjustment.

I stand corrected! You are correct. I was looking for a picture of ones I have seen in larger airplanes and just pulled that picture. "Upon further review" the picture I showed is a seat alignment device. Learn something new everyday. Based on what I read on this, the 3 balls are used to align the seat for flight.

Here is another picture from the marine world: post-9886-13883408890986_thumb.jpg

Now those are balancing balls...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stand corrected! You are correct. I was looking for a picture of ones I have seen in larger airplanes and just pulled that picture. "Upon further review" the picture I showed is a seat alignment device. Learn something new everyday. Based on what I read on this, the 3 balls are used to align the seat for flight.

Here is another picture from the marine world: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1388340625.123974.jpg

Now those are balancing balls...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice binnacle!  I've been looking for one like it to complement the engine order telegraph in my living room.

I actually had to swap my PAI-700 out due to magnetization issues with the roll cage for a SIRS compass.  For me, it seems to work better in a truly possessed aircraft.

I really like the looks of the SIRS, BigTex; cheaper than the PAI-700 too! Were the holes in the mount pre-drilled? If so, did they fit well to the holes in your windscreen divider? Windscreen divider flat (like mine), tubular, box? -- Thank you, Bobby

I installed one last summer. I like it a lot better than the regular compass. It's easier to read and doesn't bounce around in rough air.

Thank you; that's encouraging. And no problems getting it swung within limits without the balancing balls? Flat, tubular, or box windscreen divider? Or, panel mounted? -- Thanks again, Bobby

Thank you; that's encouraging. And no problems getting it swung within limits without the balancing balls? Flat, tubular, or box windscreen divider? Or, panel mounted? -- Thanks again, Bobby

I didn't need the balancing balls. I adjusted it while flying on a still day. I originally mounted it on the windscreen divider, but have been putting in a 201 window mod this week so it is now mounted directly to the round tube. Do not panel mount it.

• 1 year later...

I watch my mag compass bounce all over the place than I switch my foreflight on and Read the mag heading...no bouncing or fluid required!!!

Foreflight gives you your course over the ground though... Which can be significantly different than magnetic heading if you have any winds. Just remember, ATC is expecting you to fly a heading, not a course.

I guess I just always favor the simply solution.  Why does anyone want a vert. card compass when you have a DG?  When the wet compass is for reference, to set the DG.  The beauty of a wet compass is it's unfailing simplicity - the ideal instrument for a reference.  The only time I would consider installing a vert. card compass would be in a VFR acro or puddle jump airplane that I wanted to save space, weight and either no electrical or vacuum systems. 

ipad compass shows magnetic heading of the iPad itself not the airplane. Unless the iPad is perfectly aligned with the centerline of the airplane it will have errors. It is also subject to all the variations that nay magnetic compass has in proximity to steel and iron (the seat structure its laying on?) electrical magnetic fields. angle of the ram mount. etc. 5 degrees miss alignment with the airplane centerline is hard to see. What is laying next to it? Your flashlight? Keys? Pens? Seatbelt? Control wheel shaft? Instrument panel? How much do these affect its calibration when you calibrated it outside the airplane? BTW it has to be calibrated once in a while also. With a standard wet or dry compass, you do it once and leave it alone except for those times that Part 43 says to recalibrate them.

GPS mag heading won't work either as ATC expects the airplane to track a certain direction with the wind (drift)while on a given heading NOT fly the magnetic "course" that the GPS gives when ATC assigns a mag heading. .

I find a wet compass to be generally useless. Anyone who has tried to use one in real weather will find pretty quickly that it isn't practical. The vertical card is still far from perfect, but a much better option.

That may be true but some of us have challenges with our roll cages being magnetized to the point that only a SIRS compass will work.

sv-contours.jpg

But is that magnetic course or magnetic heading displayed on Foreflight? Pretty sure it's just magnetic course... And thinking back to private pilot 101 this is simply the course over ground taking into consideration variation (depending on where you are on the Earth). The only way it could be accurate magnetic heading is if the iPad is aligned perfectly straight with the airplane... And then of course it would still have have a calibrated correction card for deviation within the aircraft.

Great question, I have asked Foreflight to explain the "M" .  It is also possible to show "T" on the compass which means what?????  I find less than a degree difference between my Bouncing Whiskey compass and the foreflight compass in flight.  Flying a 52 year old airplane with a state of the art vacuum system!! and a non-slaved DG!!...How accurate do you think I am anyway?  I think the key is to compare the foreflight heading to the WC on the ground and in steady flight to verify for yourself.