Belly Strobe to LED

Just a quick PIREP on Whelen LED Belly strobe. I went to my shop this morning to check on the progress of a few projects I have going. They had just finished the install of the new LED Belly Strobe..All I can say is Wow!!. What a difference. If you have been on the fence on this conversion I highly suggest you do it. Well worth the money. Also being installed is the Parmetheus PAR-46 LED landing light.They should be done with the "to do" list by Thursday. I hope to have pics posted of the LEDs installed.

Got it from Spruce. AP did the work. Did not take him much time to do the belly strobe, it does require removing strobe pack. The landing light will take more time I'm sure, they were getting started on that later today. All I got to see was the strobe, man was it bright. 

were you the one who changed the wing tip lights to LED?

Nope. I have regular strobes on the wingtips and tail. I really did not see much feedback on the LED wingtips. I know a few guys did them and were pleased, and some no so much. I just had the clear strobes done on the wingtips this past winter so I'll just stick with belly and landing light.

Now for the downside... I installed Whelen LED belly strobe May 2012 and had it removed last month because all LED were burnt following water infiltration! I'm replacing it with an Aveo Baron XP, which is much brighter, we'll see how long it will last...

Drapo, Did you or the AP seal around the base after the install?. My tech called either (Spruce or Whelen..not sure) asking a quick question about something on the install and they reminded him to be sure that he sealed around the base after the install. Maybe that was a lesson Whelen learned the hard way?.

Several months ago I had the Whelen Orion 600 wingtip lights installed and also replaced the belly light with a Whelen LED strobe. Although the belly strobe is very bright I don't find it overly bright or distracting with the light that reflects off the wings at night but you definitely know it's on. I always get compliments when I fly to different airports.

I made the mistake of contacting my local FSDO to ask for their guidance on what I needed to do before starting the installation. BIG MISTAKE! They said I needed to get a field approval and complete a 337. I still disagree to this day and so did several others I spoke with including another FSDO and my A&P/IA. In the end I did jumped through the hoops and got the field approval but I believe if the parts are TSO'd like the Whelen lights are, then the most you needed was a logbook entry by your IA. If you want, you can fill out a 337 and submit it to the FAA to let them know about the work you did but my opinion is you don't need a field approval.

I bought mine at Tornado-N-Fun a couple years back. ~$400? Putting it in took me a little over an hour, then the silicone sealant had to dry. At some point my A&P checked on me, and gave me the pieces of clear tubing to zip tie over the wiring crimps.

It sure is bright, and much smaller than the old Whelen flasher.

Did you install then inside your clear wing tip lenses, or is your J an early MY?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

I got a really good deal by buying direct from Whelen when I hit them up at the AOPA summit in Palm Springs. I bought the Orion, belly strobe and rear position as a bundle and I was sworn to secrecy on the price I paid. That being said, I think the belly strobe is about $550 through Spruce. The time to install the belly strobe is less than one hour if you have basic electrical skills. You'll likely need the A440 adaptor for the smaller footprint of the Whelen to replace the larger rotating Grimes light.

The Orion lights take a lot of work if you want to run the synch wire from one wingtip to the other. It involved removing inspection panels from each wing to fish the wire through. It will help if you have a friend help you and one of you have thin arms that will fit in the inspection panels. I also had to remove the seats, one belly pan and pull back some of the carpeting inside the cockpit. The synch wire allows the wingtip strobes to flash in synch which makes you much more visible. It also looks very groovy. Once you get that done the rest is easy.

Ouch !

Is Whelen going to give you any type of warranty?

I think the AVEO lights are completly sealed.  At least some of their wing tip lights

Still waiting to see if they are going to offer any warranty...

Drapo, Did you or the AP seal around the base after the install?. My tech called either (Spruce or Whelen..not sure) asking a quick question about something on the install and they reminded him to be sure that he sealed around the base after the install. Maybe that was a lesson Whelen learned the hard way?.

Yep, sealed all around with sillicone, but water came in anyway!

How much does it cost and how much time?

I bought Whelen part 01-0790520-55. It was about $600 from Spruce. About an hour install. ComSource quoted $542 at Oshkosh, but were out of them. Back-ordered for 6 weeks.

I replaced my wing tips and nav lights with LEDs, due to electrical interference to g1000 Ahrs solved electrical interference prob and the LEDs are great. Good flying. C u at. Acy. For Mapa training. N 423ps

Gents,

So, are you saying that installing LED lights doesn't require an STC or 337?  I have been holding off until one of the companies takes the time to get their led landing-light/wingtip lighting/strobe STC'd for a Mooney.

Just wondering how you deal with the STC/337 issue, and what lights are consired best for an old Mooney.  Given the drain of a landing light on the electrical system, I was thinking that going to LEDs would be beneficial for all electronics.  Just a thought....

Sean

Gents,

So, are you saying that installing LED lights doesn't require an STC or 337?  I have been holding off until one of the companies takes the time to get their led landing-light/wingtip lighting/strobe STC'd for a Mooney.

Just wondering how you deal with the STC/337 issue, and what lights are consired best for an old Mooney.  Given the drain of a landing light on the electrical system, I was thinking that going to LEDs would be beneficial for all electronics.  Just a thought....

Sean

Sean, as far as landing lights go,  Whelen's PAR 46 is FAA-PMA approved, I installed one myself last year and am very happy with it!

There is no TSO on a par46 light bulb, is there? I guess what I am asking, is, there am approval for light bulbs other than the part number (a 201 is GE 4522) so you could substitute another PAR46 that was similar, or a Grote LED.

There is no TSO on a par46 light bulb, is there? I guess what I am asking, is, there am approval for light bulbs other than the part number (a 201 is GE 4522) so you could substitute another PAR46 that was similar, or a Grote LED.

I don't know if that answers your question, but here is a brochure from Whelen that specifies for which part number their Par46 is an aproved PMA replacement.

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Product%20Sheets/Parmetheus_Series.pdf