Flaps down when loading PAX?

LuvFlying

Owning my Mooney is my first experience with boarding via the wing.

-On one of my first dog rescue flights the foster parent had the dog on the leash as they approached the plane, the 40 pound dog jumped up to greet me on the wing and came down on the flap. I nearly had a heart attack.

-Was showing my daughter (shortish and 8y/o) my new Mooney and she had a really hard time stepping over the flap from the black area to the step.

-Every time a non-pilot crosses over the flap to get in or out, I cringe.

-Today I was looking at some of my warbird pics from OSH.  I noticed quite a bit of them have their flaps down while being parked. 

It got me thinking... should I lower the flaps (reducing the horizontal surface area and potential bending leverage) when I'm going to have non-pilot pax? 

What do you guyz do?

That's why I don't let anyone fly with me....Laughing

Seriously, I give everyone a briefing before getting on the plane and watch as they follow me up the wing.  Leaving the flaps down after pre-flight is a good way to keep them off because they see it's a functioning piece and not just part of the wing.  I always help the kids up, but they know it could be the last flight they take with dad if they jump on the flaps.

Same applies to closing the door.  I'm the only one allowed to do that.  Had a friend slam the door once thinking it was just like a car door.  He got the picture when the blood drained from my face....

Brian

• Like 1

I do almost the same things as Brian.

Brief folks on how to get on, and demonstrate, and then let them demonstrate to me.  Works wonders for those that have any difficulty at all getting up or down and we discuss ways to alleviate any difficulties well before we actually board.  Also helps in case I have to put the aircraft down in a field someplace and we are needing to move more quickly than after a normal taxi back to the barn.  (former boy scout).

As for the door, I do things a bit differently.  When we are aboard and seated, I tell them not to worry about the door - we will cover its operation in a moment.  Then I brief.  Then I demonstrate.  Then I let them show me.  A couple of times.  Good for the same reasons as outlined above.  In an emergency, the person in the right seat is part of our solution because they know just that little bit more. 

But.... that is just me.

I have big NO STEP stickers in that location but a timely reminder to "stay on the black, do not step on anything white" to each person as they board/exit is helpful. I get their attention and they focus on being careful.

Unfortunately, the dog does not listen at all.

TomK

• Like 1

Yeah, I always brief and have big stickers too.

But by the time we have our flight and they are all excited about getting to the destination or whatever (and I'm not there to guide/remind them cause I'm still in the left seat)... I worry.

Rick - I like that simple reminder "step only on the black"

I have stood right there and told people not to step on the flap, and they step on the flap, or they don't step on it going in but they step on it coming out even after I have told them not to.  Maybe they don't know what a "flap" is.  I find it easier to get in with the flap up, but when passengers come the flaps go down for entry and exit.

I found that having the flaps down discourage anyone from stepping on them. I also have big letters NO STEP and NO PISE (spanish) decals on the flaps. Ideally the flaps length should have been limited to about 18" from the fuselage. After all, I found that take off with no flaps gives you a smoother transition to climb with no need to trim. And on the flare I raise them to insure a mains only touch down with no possibility of bounce or floating. The only time I found them useful is during the approach to land where it allows you to slow down with the nose down for improved visibility.

José

When I was having trouble finding a Mooney that I wanted to buy, I flirted with Bonanza's.  It took some getting used to be able to step on the flap when boarding and de-plane-ing.

Bo's are nice planes and there are certainly more of them on the market than Mooneys. I can already feel the pangs about the Bo I didn't buy and I haven't even gotten to the pre-buy on the 262. Cry

Alan

Since my purchase was only a few months ago, I ran into the same question.  When I "test flew" a 201, the guy always left the flaps down.  After purchase, I wanted to leave them down (since a passenger will not step on a "slippery slope"), but decided not to.  I figured I would raise them rather than take a chance of, some how, forgetting to raise them before take-off.  I actually, 1 time, shut down and went to exit the wing and saw flaps still down and re-entered the plane to raise them.  I also reviewed my entire shut-down checklist.  That is why I have flaps last on my checklist to flag me when I leave.  I lift my 7 year old daughter every time.  I specifically tell all adult passengers "DO NOT STEP HERE!" as I touch the flaps.  I then tell them to "Only walk on the black area".  Then I watch them.  This has worked for me, so far!

i leave mine down for all the reasons stated above.

i never have a problem with my dogs because they leap from the ground to the door and never come near the flaps.

They love to fly so much my male actually tried to jump in through the baggage hatch!

Got some nice scratch on the paint that day,.  Needless to say i was not pleased.