M20L (Porsche) IO-550 conversion information

NewHeights

http://www.steveweaver.com/n142mp.htm

I was looking at this plane today for sale on trade-a-plane,  it is an M20L with converted IO-550.    Steve Weaver told me that the plane was converted by a shop in FL,  I'm assuming he is referring to Coy Jacobs place.    He said Porsche offered to help with the cost of these 550 conversions.   Does anyone have any more info on that,  or know how many other L models have done this conversion?  

Also,   what does everyone think about the asking price of 160k?

Also:

OTHER EQUIPMENT

Electric Back Up Artificial Horizon and Standby Vacuum System o FM/CD Player and Intercom System and Satellite Phone o Speed Brakes o Strobes o Aux 92 Gallons Fuel. o All Logs o There is no Airframe Damage History. A recent porpoise on landing resulted in the prop tips striking the runway. An engine teardown was accomplished to check for damage and the propeller was overhauled.

That plane has been for sale for a long time... like approaching at least a year. It's one of the first planes I got serious about... until I found out about the useful load. The company that did the conversion (can't remember the name right now - NOT Missle/Rocket as Weaver was advertising ) went out of business (another flag) before they got approval for weight increase. If I remember correctly the useful load is somewhere arround 550lbs.   So it's essentially a 1 or 2 person plane.

No, there's no way to get approval to get that increased.

Guest Anonymous

Quote: NewHeights

http://www.steveweaver.com/n142mp.htm

I was looking at this plane today for sale on trade-a-plane,  it is an M20L with converted IO-550.    Steve Weaver told me that the plane was converted by a shop in FL,  I'm assuming he is referring to Coy Jacobs place.    He said Porsche offered to help with the cost of these 550 conversions.   Does anyone have any more info on that,  or know how many other L models have done this conversion?  

I agree, the conversion made the L a wonderful airplane.  The one in question here gets my vote too.  It is a great get up and go fast Mooney for 2, which I think that most of us do anyway.  In my opinion, these planes will have to suffer a lower price to make it more marketable.  The Punta Gorda disaster was tragic in many ways.

Mitch, I'd further clarify your statement "It is a great get up and go fast Mooney for 2" to " It is a great get up and go fast Mooney for 2 for a very short distance."

With such a dismal useful load, you won't be able to fly anywhere beyond a couple of hundred miles, max, with two people, much less bags.  Assuming 550 lbs UL, 350 lbs of people leaves you 200 lbs left for fuel and bags.  That is 33 gallons and no bags...on a plane that will burn 28 GPH on takeoff and 14-17 at cruise.  That just doesn't work for anything beyond local flying, which is not what a Mooney is made for.  Any trip out of the area would be faster in any regular Mooney, even an M20A, that doesn't have to stop for fuel every 60-90 minutes.

This kind of thing would get an "F" in an undergraduate aircraft design class, I'm afraid.  It is nearly useless without a gross weight increase.

Years ago I had a bad experience with MOD WORKS.

I had hail damage on my Rocket. At the same time I chose to add an Intercom, a EDM700, longrange tanks, speedbrakes, fuel tank repair, an annual, IFR cert, a TLS light in the left wing and a complete paint. After a lot of what I thought was careful research I chose Mod Works.

Quite a bit of work to have done at once on one plane. The job was promised in 2 months. 4 months later it was finally "done" What they did they did fine. BUT part of the hail repair was to include wing panel replacement. The insurance company approved panel replacement and that is what I approved and expected. They bondoed up the hail dents AND charged for panel replacement.

No wonder they are out of business. Some of the same people are now with Mooney Mart. After Mod works was gone I called Mooney Mart and the same guy that ripped me off answered the phone. I think both companies came from one.

Compare the converted L with a 550 to a missile with a 550 and then to an M20R with a 550.

Depending on condition, they overlap in price range.   The R is the only one originally designed to handle the 550 and can carry 1,000+ LBs of UL.

I like all of them, but, I went with the R...

Mitch, your thoughts?

- anthony -

Hi Anthony.

I am quite sure, by reading this forum, there are many, many others that are much more technically educated as to the differences between the 3 models you mention. During our search for another Mooney, we did try to learn as much as we could about all the Mooney models, which we were considering. The J, K [Missile and Rocket included], L, M, R and S models specifically. Not being a deeply intellectual mechanic, I’ve never ventured to far from the "stock" condition of any moving items I’ve enjoyed over the years. Whether it is cars, motorcycles or airplanes.

Another aspect for me is an appreciation for things that remain in their original state as they age. Also, though it is not a driving force for me, the resale value of "stock" things seems to be better when that time does come. I’m sure there are exceptions to this theory as well.

With all the above considered, when the R model presented itself, I felt comfortable that it would be a very good choice for us. There are always pro’s and con’s to everything and we each weigh those in our decision making process. I feel it is up to each individuals own parameters on choosing and airplane…what suits your personality and desires. Thank you for asking.

The last couple of posts both refer to the Missile. The Missile / Ovation comparison deserves some comment.

The Missile is based on the shorter J airframe and as such generally has a lower empty weight. The gross weight of 3200 lbs on the lighter airframe leaves more useful load (about 1100) than the Ovations 3368 gross. To get the higher gross weight Mooney had to beef up the landing gear, an example of weight begets weight. Both use the same engine and the same flying surfaces. The Missile always out performs the Ovation because of weight. When the Rocket and Missile were engineered they were designed with an engine mounting system that ties into the fuselage at 8 points. This gives them a distinct strength advantage over the Mooney factory models that continue to use only 4.

Gentlemen, thanks for the insight provided by this thread.  I was about to make an offer on an M20L and then I saw the concerns about UL.  I asked the seller about the avaialble UL and found out I would not even be able to fly solo if I fully filled the tanks.  Thanks for saving me from a big mistake.  I am now looking for a M20R that will better meet my needs.

Missile, upgraded L and M20R:

They are all different, and they each meet different missions. 

I like the idea of full feathering, it significantly increases glide ratio with a dead engine.  Unfortunately, It also goes to full feather with a dead gear pump or a simple leaky shaft seal. 

My M20C had a shaft seal failure on take-off, prop failed to high RPM.  No big deal, return to airport and have mechanic reset the seal (O/H the prop, new generator belt and buy a new governor while your in there...).  Having the prop go to full feather right after departure would have had me filling out the thread about off airport landings....  (what's the chance of having a leaky shaft seal?)

I like the options of the different N/A six cylinder engines in an M20 frame.  The M20R is MY best fit.

I think the Rocket Engineering folks had such a great idea, the MAC factory and Porsche guys tried to improve on it.

From my wish list: I would like a prop control that I could select to go high RPM vs. full feather.  (pick your solution to the emergency)

-a-

• 12 years later...
35 minutes ago, Matías Equiza said:

Hello, I am argentine Mooney M20L owner, my plane is equipped with a TSIOL 550 and I want to convert My Mooney with IO550 engine. Where could I find the stc?..

STC SA02624AT is it the correct?

The STC belonged to Mod Works and they are out of business.

On 2/18/2010 at 9:36 AM, RJBrown said:

Years ago I had a bad experience with MOD WORKS.

I had hail damage on my Rocket. At the same time I chose to add an Intercom, a EDM700, longrange tanks, speedbrakes, fuel tank repair, an annual, IFR cert, a TLS light in the left wing and a complete paint. After a lot of what I thought was careful research I chose Mod Works.

Quite a bit of work to have done at once on one plane. The job was promised in 2 months. 4 months later it was finally "done" What they did they did fine. BUT part of the hail repair was to include wing panel replacement. The insurance company approved panel replacement and that is what I approved and expected. They bondoed up the hail dents AND charged for panel replacement.

No wonder they are out of business. Some of the same people are now with Mooney Mart. After Mod works was gone I called Mooney Mart and the same guy that ripped me off answered the phone. I think both companies came from one.

I think this is the company they had the hurricane hit Punta Gorda Florida, and there are dozens of airplanes upside down on the ramp and when they went to go get insurance payouts from the hanger keepers insurance, the shop had no insurance. And further,  they sold the Porsche engines for money, but did not put io550 engines on those planes yet either so he basically absconded  with the money to Alaska and we’re talking boocoo dollars here and all the owners were left with crashed uninsured airplanes with no engines on them.

2 minutes ago, Matías Equiza said:

Hello, could you help me to find the stc to convert my M20L to M20R? My plane have installed a tsiol550a3b and I need to convert it to io550, but I can't find paperwork because ModWorks inc is out of bussines 

I understand what youre saying, but an IO550 conversion in todays day is going to be over 150k. Youd need the engine, which would set you back probably 80 to 90k and I don't know if theyd take your core back. You need to build a new cowling, to buy a new exaust, new baffling, new ducts, and close up the exhaust holes coming out of the tail of the plane. And on top of the a DER to sign off on it because even though the STC did exist at one point, you can't buy it from anyone. Selling the plane for 50k which you'll likely be able to get more for it than that and buying a mid 2000s ovation or eagle will be way cheaper and will leave you with a plane you can fly, instead of one that will be down for at least half a year to a year or 2.