Lightspeed headset special offer

I just got this email today and was wondering if anyone else wants to go in on this discount. If four of us get together we can buy three Delta Zulu headsets at $1100, get a fourth for free and split the savings. Cost for each headset would come out to $825 + tax. I’m in CA so unfortunately that’s 10% unless someone in a state like OR, that doesn’t have sales tax, wants to participate. Anyone interested?

IMG_2619.jpeg

3 hours ago, toto said:

I assume these are not combinable? It’s not (1100 x 1) + (1100 x 0.75) + (1100 x 0.50) + (1100 x 0) ?

No, it's "buy 3 at $3300, get another one free."

FWIW, I've had a Zulu 3 for a long time that I've absolutely loved.    So I bought a Delta Zulu and figured I'd move the Zulu 3 to be a passenger spare or something.   FWIW, imho the Delta Zulu is much less of a headseat than a Zulu 3, and it sounds like this sale is an attempt to get rid of some Delta Zulu inventory.    If you are in the market for a new Lightspeed headset, I'd recommend the Zulu 3 over the Delta Zulu.    The Delta Zulu was not very well thought out, which is a shame because the Zulu 3 is great, especially in comparison.

Anyway, just my 0.02.   I suspect they're trying to get rid of some of the Delta Zulus this way.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

FWIW, I've had a Zulu 3 for a long time that I've absolutely loved.    So I bought a Delta Zulu and figured I'd move the Zulu 3 to be a passenger spare or something.   FWIW, imho the Delta Zulu is much less of a headseat than a Zulu 3, and it sounds like this sale is an attempt to get rid of some Delta Zulu inventory.    If you are in the market for a new Lightspeed headset, I'd recommend the Zulu 3 over the Delta Zulu.    The Delta Zulu was not very well thought out, which is a shame because the Zulu 3 is great, especially in comparison.

Anyway, just my 0.02.   I suspect they're trying to get rid of some of the Delta Zulus this way.   

I keep thinking about the DZ because of the integrated CO detector, which seems like a good idea - but I’m happy with Bose and I don’t have any particular reason to switch aside from the CO thing. My portable CO detector works fine, but it’s not integrated with my headset. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:16 PM, toto said:

I keep thinking about the DZ because of the integrated CO detector, which seems like a good idea - but I’m happy with Bose and I don’t have any particular reason to switch aside from the CO thing. My portable CO detector works fine, but it’s not integrated with my headset. 

I like those two items separate. The portable CO detector, which seems like it has a much more robust detector,  can be replaced when needed. I wouldn't want to send my headset off for service when the CO unit times out. 

• Like 2

Does anyone here have direct experience with the hearing equalization function in the Delta Zulu? That was the feature that most caught my eye. My hearing tests fine (and I've always tried to protect it) but I definitely feel I could use some help with "discrimination" in conversations esp. on noisy radio comms. 

Lightspeed was a great value brand early on, haven't tried their recent stuff (the modded David Clark keeps on ticking ...)

21 minutes ago, dkkim73 said:

Does anyone here have direct experience with the hearing equalization function in the Delta Zulu? That was the feature that most caught my eye. My hearing tests fine (and I've always tried to protect it) but I definitely feel I could use some help with "discrimination" in conversations esp. on noisy radio comms. 

Lightspeed was a great value brand early on, haven't tried their recent stuff (the modded David Clark keeps on ticking ...)

A bunch of the Delta Zulu features, like the equalizer, depend on the app, which is only available for Apple products if that matters to you.

I use a Bose and and after market plug in mike assembly 

Works good for me and when turned on discrimination in the audio is fine and I'm somewhat compromised

in hearing - too many jet engines all my life. 

Had early  Lightspeed and it worked but it was big and bulky.

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I like those two items separate. The portable CO detector, which seems like it has a much more robust detector,  can be replaced when needed. I wouldn't want to send me headset off for service when the CO unit times out. 

Yeah - Ultimately the DZ has seemed like a solution want of a problem (for me), but there are at least a couple of use cases where I keep thinking it would be valuable. 

I’m happy with my portable, and really haven’t had any problems with it. But e.g. when I’m flying in someone else’s a/c, I normally just grab my headset and a certificates lanyard, and it’s not unusual then to be flying around with no CO detection. Having it integrated in the headset means you always have it with you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 12:33 AM, NotarPilot said:

I just got this email today and was wondering if anyone else wants to go in on this discount. If four of us get together we can buy three Delta Zulu headsets at $1100, get a fourth for free and split the savings. Cost for each headset would come out to $825 + tax. I’m in CA so unfortunately that’s 10% unless someone in a state like OR, that doesn’t have sales tax, wants to participate. Anyone interested?

IMG_2619.jpeg

Steve you ever get your four folks?

D

Looking at the specs, I wouldn't buy a lightspeed simply because you can't turn off the ducking of the music. As in, it keeps lowering the volune every time some idiot passenger breathes too loudly.

If I need to be talking to atc I turn it down manually, not very difficult. On Bose and DC you can have it full on or auto ducking.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Joshua Blackh4t said:

Looking at the specs, I wouldn't buy a lightspeed simply because you can't turn off the ducking of the music. As in, it keeps lowering the volune every time some idiot passenger breathes too loudly.

If I need to be talking to atc I turn it down manually, not very difficult. On Bose and DC you can have it full on or auto ducking.

I’m sorry, but I found a post complaining about ATC interfering with listening to music pretty funny. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I’m sorry, but I found a post complaining about ATC interfering with listening to music pretty funny. 

Ha, you may be right. But I mean when in isolated class G and all calls are far away and you only need a listening watch just to hear if anything interesting might be happening.

16 hours ago, Joshua Blackh4t said:

Ha, you may be right. But I mean when in isolated class G and all calls are far away and you only need a listening watch just to hear if anything interesting might be happening.

I understood what you meant. I just found the way it was put a bit funny. 

I understand what you mean too, but inquiring minds want to know where the isolated “class G airspace” is in the US that isn’t skimming the tree tops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, Australia here. Huge bit of class G in the middle. Even home on the south east coast, there's still a lot of it. Class E is closing in but even in class E I still don't need to pay much attention to the radio. Its handy to hear the chatter just confirm I'm on the right frequency.

So music up and relax.  Don't want lightspeed continually changing the volume so no go for me. 

On 2/20/2024 at 4:12 AM, Joshua Blackh4t said:

As in, it keeps lowering the volune every time some idiot passenger breathes too loudly.

9 hours ago, Joshua Blackh4t said:

Don't want lightspeed continually changing the volume so no go for me. 

You said this twice and I don’t think I understand. My Lightspeed has a pushbutton that keeps the input volume constant regardless of intercom or radio traffic.

I do wish I could set it once instead every flight.  I don’t normally listen to music but I do have my headset connected to my Garmin audio that warns me of traffic and terrain.

10 hours ago, Andy95W said:

You said this twice and I don’t think I understand. My Lightspeed has a pushbutton that keeps the input volume constant regardless of intercom or radio traffic.

I do wish I could set it once instead every flight.  I don’t normally listen to music but I do have my headset connected to my Garmin audio that warns me of traffic and terrain.

Well, that changes everything. I hadn't seen any mention of it in the specs and it was something I was specially looking for.

So maybe they are back on the possible list for me. Mainly for passengers, also a backup in case.

Thanks, please ignore previous ignorant comments on Lightspeed.

Btw, the DCs need to be pressed every time as well. Also, has to be in the order of "turn on, turn bluetooth on, connect bluetooth, then press once to turn off ducking"

Bose has the mix switch that stays on. I just prefer the DC for comfort and the noise cancelling. Bose has more white noise. Maybe the A30s solved it.

• Like 1