Women's Air Race Classic - calling other Mooneys?

Its official, after years of talking about wanting to do it, I am making it happen and signed up for the Women's Air Race Classic.  I see at least one other Mooney on the registration list so far - any other lady Mooney pilots going to be joining me this year?

Anyone done this race in the past and have useful advice, tips, or tricks to flying fast?

https://www.airraceclassic.org/racer-list.htm

(I also plan on continuing to participate in some co-ed racing through Sport Air Race League as often as I can, so looking forward to seeing if anyone can best my speed there too!)

• Like 7

I looked at the web site and I have no idea how the race works. How do they handicap the different airplanes? If somebody shows up with a TBM do they instantly win? That is a long way to fly in a single day. Are the legs scored individually, is your refueling time counted? Where are the rules?

9 hours ago, Sue Bon said:

Yeah Becca! I'm routing for you!!

With the beautiful sectional section on your tail I bet you are a fantasic "router".  I am rooting for Becca too!  Go Mooney! :) 

• Haha 3

On 1/24/2024 at 12:03 PM, neilpilot said:

Have you considered joining Becca’s crew?

If I were still on the East Cost I would have gotten involved.  To bad the race isn't on the "other" coast where I am now.

• Sad 1

They’re pretty tight lipped over there at the ARC. They ain’t gonna give you no tips on how to fly faster, but maybe somebody will tell you how they put helium inside the structural fuselage tubes to lose a couple pounds of weight and move the CG back.  
personally, it’s easier just to let 20 pounds of air out of each tire that’s 40 pounds right there

• Haha 6

On 1/25/2024 at 7:21 PM, PeteMc said:

If I were still on the East Cost I would have gotten involved.  To bad the race isn't on the "other" coast where I am now.

@PeteMc Not a valid excuse, the race is in the middle of the country. :D

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

You replied to “Crew”, not support team

Really???  You wanna go back and take another look.  :P    If you did, I bet you'd find I said.... "If I were still on the East Cost I would have gotten involved.  To bad the race isn't on the "other" coast where I am now."   And "involved" is not "crew" as far as I know. 

But then it could be!  I could have been part of the "Ground Crew" "Pit Crew" "Line Crew" aka crew /kroo/  a group of people who work closely together

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 7:14 PM, jetdriven said:

They’re pretty tight lipped over there at the ARC. They ain’t gonna give you no tips on how to fly faster, but maybe somebody will tell you how they put helium inside the structural fuselage tubes to lose a couple pounds of weight and move the CG back.  
personally, it’s easier just to let 20 pounds of air out of each tire that’s 40 pounds right there

Also easier to do a colonoscopy flush the day before the race, can lose some pounds there too especially if you are full of shit like I was :)  

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2024 at 5:14 PM, jetdriven said:

They ain’t gonna give you no tips on how to fly faster,

So you're saying the tip to make sure to carry plenty of survival gear and water for 3 days wasn't a real thing???  :P

3 hours ago, PeteMc said:

So you're saying the tip to make sure to carry plenty of survival gear and water for 3 days wasn't a real thing???  :P

That was just a ploy to slow the competition down with extra weight.