I think my wife is finally completely on board.

bcg

My wife has been supportive, but not enthusiastic, about my learning to fly and buying a plane. Today we flew a trip that is recurring every 90 days and is normally a 7-8 hour round trip by car. It saved us at least 2.5 hours of travel time and everyone got home a lot less fatigued than usual, despite 1/3 of the trip being hand flown in actual IMC. ATC took us down from 10,000 to 5,000 because of military training in the area that put us right on the cloud tops, it's the first time I've seen her pull her phone out to take pictures and video. I think I've finally got her...

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Time savings is a real thing for our non-flying partners. My wife is happy to travel somewhere quickly (VMC or IMC, she generally naps), but she won't go fly aimlessly around with me just for the fun of it.

She takes good photos, too, when she's awake . . . .

• Like 1

Time savings is a real thing for our non-flying partners. My wife is happy to travel somewhere quickly (VMC or IMC, she generally naps), but she won't go fly aimlessly around with me just for the fun of it.
She takes good photos, too, when she's awake . . . .
She slept most of the trip, both ways. I take it as a compliment.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bcg said:

She slept most of the trip, both ways. I take it as a compliment.

That’s a win!

when we first bought we used it for a long series of Dr Appts 3 hours away and saved tons of time!  We also lived in the absolute middle of nowhere and used it for lots of fun weekend getaways.  Once you’ve set the hook, tell her about your thoughts on safety upgrades, like a new autopilot, G3X, etc!

Just don’t relax.  Sometimes it only takes one bad experience to sour someone.  We don’t fly after noon in the summer to avoid turbulence and I’m pretty careful about staying away from rain or gusty winds because those can be scary for passengers in a small plane even if they aren’t safety issues.  If you cancel for “safety” once in a while due to weather, she’ll be even more impressed in your new means of safe travel!

• Like 1

That’s a win!
when we first bought we used it for a long series of Dr Appts 3 hours away and saved tons of time!  We also lived in the absolute middle of nowhere and used it for lots of fun weekend getaways.  Once you’ve set the hook, tell her about your thoughts on safety upgrades, like a new autopilot, G3X, etc!
Just don’t relax.  Sometimes it only takes one bad experience to sour someone.  We don’t fly after noon in the summer to avoid turbulence and I’m pretty careful about staying away from rain or gusty winds because those can be scary for passengers in a small plane even if they aren’t safety issues.  If you cancel for “safety” once in a while due to weather, she’ll be even more impressed in your new means of safe travel!
We had some light turbulence today flying over some showers and through clouds. I'd prepped her for it and turbulence has never really bothered her in commercial air travel. She didn't mind it at all.

We were going to a Dr appointment 3 hours away as well today. They've always been EXHAUSTING to.srovw to/from in a day but, we had to be home to take care of the animals on the ranch. I almost drove today because it looked like the ceiling would be at or below minimums early this morning. By 11, when I had to make a decision, they'd opened up to 900' so we were good. By the time we arrived, it was at 1200 but, we could see the airport from 1500 5 miles out. Airport elevation is 80' so, we had lots of room. The biggest issue was a 12kn xwind, I let my CFII take the landing, had it been just the 2 of us I'd have attempted it for experience but with my wife in the back seat, I didn't want to do anything I thought had the potential to give her a bad experience. Especially with it only being her 2nd time in the Mooney.

• Like 1

You know you have it made…

1) When she likes it so much she takes interest in flying the plane… learning buttons and radio use…

2) If she signs up for flying lessons… it starts with the ‘Right seat ready’ class… (all good signs…)

3) If you are super lucky… each flight starts with a short discussion covering who is acting PIC for the flight….  :)

4) We have a few MSers with family members that all have their pilot’s licenses….

And many MSers who’s spouse is happy to fly along… (not all PICs are men…)

For info about the right seat ready class… find Jolie and/or Mrs. Maxwell….

Best regards,

-a-

When I first got the Mooney Mrs. Steingar hated it.  Wanted our old Cherokee back.  When I got her back from DC in two hours her tune changed mightily.  She liked when I got her to central Michigan in two hours.  She really liked the quick day trips to the islands.

She offered me her Social Security to keep it, but I wouldn't do it, not fair.  Mrs. Steingar worked for her retirement, I'd not jinx it for my airplane.  She's up for sale, got a guy coming to look her over Saturday.  The Mooney, not Mrs. Steingar.

• Haha 2

When I first got the Mooney Mrs. Steingar hated it.  Wanted our old Cherokee back.  When I got her back from DC in two hours her tune changed mightily.  She liked when I got her to central Michigan in two hours.  She really liked the quick day trips to the islands.
She offered me her Social Security to keep it, but I wouldn't do it, not fair.  Mrs. Steingar worked for her retirement, I'd not jinx it for my airplane.  She's up for sale, got a guy coming to look her over Saturday.  The Mooney, not Mrs. Steingar.
You're going to make her fly commercial in retirement? Hard core...

origami-ancient-dragon.jpg

I fold paper dragons all the time.  I can't take credit for this one, but I did fold one just like it. Folded before I had an airplane, and I'll fold after mine's gone.  I even fold paper airplanes.

DSC06937.jpeg.0575eac1b6f485fddf3694938ee1c06b.jpeg

On 11/2/2022 at 11:18 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I just can’t imagine folding paper dragons without an airplane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1