Will it ever fly again? Shall I dare rescuing the abandoned bird?

Irmin

• 3 months later...

After half a year (!) in the avionic shop I finally brought my MSE home early December. Since then I am ironing out all the minor bugs... Yesterday, the right wing fuel indicator went missing. I basically noticed after the landing that instead of the indicator there is only the hole with some silicone glue left. Every day I have some minor things to fix. Well, I am not complaining. So, please, let me know: Do I have to replace the whole external fuel gauge assembly? Please advise.

Irmin

PS: I also attach a few photos how I-CAMY looks after polishing :-)

IMG_6168.jpeg

_DSC0386.jpeg

_DSC0388.jpeg

_DSC0427.jpeg

_DSC0492.jpeg

_DSC0552.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Irmin said:

After half a year (!) in the avionic shop I finally brought my MSE home early December. Since then I am ironing out all the minor bugs... Yesterday, the right wing fuel indicator went missing. I basically noticed after the landing that instead of the indicator there is only the hole with some silicone glue left. Every day I have some minor things to fix. Well, I am not complaining. So, please, let me know: Do I have to replace the whole external fuel gauge assembly? Please advise.

Irmin

PS: I also attach a few photos how I-CAMY looks after polishing :-)

IMG_6168.jpeg

_DSC0386.jpeg

_DSC0388.jpeg

_DSC0427.jpeg

_DSC0492.jpeg

_DSC0552.jpeg

You just need a new capsule. Order it from Mooney and wait….

• Like 3

hey Irmin!

The display end is probably only kept in place using silicone…

Make sure the other side isn’t ready to escape as well…

Their lifetime seems to be limited too… After 30 years or so part of the needle might break off… :)

the display only shares a magnetic connection to rest of the device… so no damage has occurred  there…

+1 for ordering from your favorite MSC… 

each one is kind of unique to match the tank dimensions.  The numbers, calibrated on the face, may be different from others that look just like it…

the long bodies use the same set up, but calibrated for 50+ gallon tanks on each side.

The procedure for mounting has been written about around here somewhere… a mix of silicone and tape to keep the new one from escaping, until the silicone sets…

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I second Don’s comment.  You’ve done great bring this Mooney not just to flying status but making a beautiful fine example of a Mooney!  Bravo!

Thank you very much. I really fell in love with that bird. I like to aerodynamic shape, the efficiency, the speed, the reliable engine, the retractable undercarriage and even the colour scheme. I might be hooked. 154cb55dacde04dc1b5830a81c4ba458.jpg
1f0675c40163281142b14b5508462677.jpg
6a5bf899bb62644eec69d2f5a58cad3f.jpg
63ba3fc6fd60b89fadb5d4ff5886660d.jpg
c90e31350864de531a50cfafa4fc3185.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, vorlon1 said:

This was one of the most fun threads to read/watch in a long time. Nicely done videos. Updates along the way. Felt like I was there! :)

Thank you so much. I wish I would have posted more videos of the process, but now I am not sure it makes sense. For sure I will post a walk around video soon!! 

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2023 at 6:42 AM, vorlon1 said:

This was one of the most fun threads to read/watch in a long time. Nicely done videos. Updates along the way. Felt like I was there! :)

I certainly second this! 
I remember the first video when Irmin was just going out to see the airplane. He had a lot of misgivings questioning whether he was doing the right thing. He was pushing and prodding on the plane to see if it might be salvageable. What a journey and what a success story! I am delighted at how it turned out. 
Congratulations sir Irmin!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
I certainly second this! 
I remember the first video when Irmin was just going out to see the airplane. He had a lot of misgivings questioning whether he was doing the right thing. He was pushing and prodding on the plane to see if it might be salvageable. What a journey and what a success story! I am delighted at how it turned out. 
Congratulations sir Irmin!

Dear Mooney community. I would like to give a little heads up. Unfortunately my wife contracted an aggressive form of Leukemia so I have spent a lot of time with her. Life can be challenging. She underwent a stem cell transplant that saved her life. Now we live from day to day hoping that the disease is not coming back. So, priorities have changed quite a bit for us.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Regarding my little Pocket Rocket there are also some (bad) news. Last annual they discovered some corrosion in the secondary spar so we need to take the wing off. According to my tin man there was no obvious reason why the corrosion started from the inside other than maybe bad aluminium quality in the first place. Now, I can not judge this but it sucks as this corrosion is definitely older than a few years. To my untrained eye it looks at least 3 years or older. b13c749652d547d834fb4ab4e671b1fc.jpg
887eb82f25e2ce9e4c619865adf28e12.jpg
f70866ec274b799f2f13b1ee33a1a91f.jpg
b43ae8bae8f4f516e23a5992a0443d26.jpg

• Sad 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:04 AM, Irmin said:

Dear Mooney community. I would like to give a little heads up. Unfortunately my wife contracted an aggressive form of Leukemia so I have spent a lot of time with her. Life can be challenging. She underwent a stem cell transplant that saved her life. Now we live from day to day hoping that the disease is not coming back. So, priorities have changed quite a bit for us.

I am so very sorry this has happened to you. My prayers, thoughts and best wishes are with you and your wife.

• Like 1

I am so very sorry this has happened to you. My prayers, thoughts and best wishes are with you and your wife.

I really do appreciate you guys writing those encouraging lines! Gives me strength.

• Like 2