Stainless fasteners?

1)   Spare cowl camloc fasteners. This is for a J, I think your firewall fasteners are same as cowl parting line.  Check M20F parts catalog.

a.     Firewall – - 40S5-5 (-5S is stainless)

i.     Retaining washer 4002-SW

ii.     Grommet is 4002-G (flush not plus-flush)

b.     Rear cowling fastener  - 27S3-7 (phillips) 2700-7 (slot) (retainer washer  2600-SW-2)

c.      Cowl parting line, except rearmost - 27S3-4 (phil) (2700-4) slot  (no retainers on shorter than -5)

d.     Battery access hole  “southco 100”

i.     – screw 82-11-100-20

ii.     Wear washer is 82-46-101-39

The cowl fasteners wear into the fiberglass cowl on a J, requiring hours of repair with epoxy.   LASAR can bill up to 3K on a J cowl for this.  Im not sure of the F.  The fasteners are easy to change.  Are yours captive or do they remove when you unfasten them?  There is a thin split washer that goes behind them to trap them in the cowl on some.

for your cowling, you may want to look at Milspec 2800 series fastners. (see the link below)

They have the same characteristics as the 2700 series (same dash number for the stud length) but with a larger diameter which avoid the wearing of the fiber glass mentionned above.

The painful part is that as the fiberglass has worn out, the dash number you may need may now be different than the original dash numbers if you want a nice flush finish.  So it may be a trial and error.

They have Money kits too.

http://www.milspecproducts.com/26002700C-Spec.htm

I forgot to mention the -4 (or the size it is) is stamped faintly on the fastener, so find out what number your fasteners are, then ordeer replacements in stainless (-S) and phillips or slotted.  The nomenclature is in the part number.

Quote: aerobat95

I didnt realize there were so many different options......this is a bit more complex than I was expecting. 

Well, I have the cowl off the plane and into MX right now. They are repairing some cracks on the top portion and removing the original fasters. In addition to this they are going to clean up the access panel area where you check the oil(my OCD problem).  Next week I will be having the wings and cowl painted.  Had the paint matched so it should look really nice once finished.  I'll be having stainless fasteners for the cowl....and I am thinking about the battery access area as well.  I am so excited cause once I am finished with this, the paint will be as close to a 10 as you can get without a complete repaint  On a side note I was shocked how much red costs.....glad I only have a small pin stripe. 

Quote: OR75

for your cowling, you may want to look at Milspec 2800 series fastners. (see the link below)

They have the same characteristics as the 2700 series (same dash number for the stud length) but with a larger diameter which avoid the wearing of the fiber glass mentionned above.

The painful part is that as the fiberglass has worn out, the dash number you may need may now be different than the original dash numbers if you want a nice flush finish.

very much trial and error exercise since over time the fiberglass has worn out. Also, don't forget the 4 fastners in the cowling air intake (in a J model).

Maybe worth getting one of each dash (they should all be -4,-5,-6 or -7 range) and see how many of each you will need.

Worth it if you want a flush fasteners.

Also hope that in the future, A&Ps servicing your plane will put them back in the right order.