PowerFlow exhaust on Mooney M20J

Generally, around here...

PF makes a great product...

The exhaust pressure drop is better than stock...

But... by the time the J came out...

Things were onto phase two of improvements...

1) Intake was improved significantly...

2) Exhaust was improved as well...

Then the PF was improved too...

Their second version Is a better fit of the external pipe along the the side of the plane...

At annual, there are lubrication points to be taken care of... if ignored something sticks and breaks...

Many people opt for the PF when needing to replace a worn or broken exhaust system...

A side issue to check on... there were discussions related to cabin heating...  the Muff may be different in size... and the exhaust doesn’t stay as hot on the inside....

Old PP fuzzy memories...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm curious: Most everyone that has Powerflow grumbles about how much of a pain it is to disassemble it every year to lubricate the slip joints. Has anyone NOT done this and noticed any problem (or not had any problem)? The reason I ask is that the stock system also has slip joints. Some people don't do any maintenance on these. A lot of mechanics squirt some mouse milk or Aerokroil in them whenever the cowling is off (that's what I do) and never have a problem.

I had an issue with the tail pipe hitting the cowl flap and thought it was due to the ball joint binding. I took it apart and lubed it with C5-A (MIL-PRF-907F, latest version of what Powerflow calls for) and that made it rotate freely. Fifty hours later, I checked it and it was just as tight as before. So, I'm not convinced that the lubrication buys anything after a few hours.

The only requirement to disassemble and lubricate annually I see is in the form of an ICA ,and ICAs are not required to be complied with for part 91 operations unless they show up in a limitations supplement to the AFM. So, I'm wondering if the Powerflow really needs this extra lubrication.

Skip

My Powerflow was not lubricated for the first 5 years of its life and nothing happened.  It was lubricated last annual.  I didn't personally take it apart, but it seems like it wouldn't be all that hard to do.  How long does it actually take to do the lubrication?

I've talked with two A&Ps who run MSCs, and two current Power Flow owners about their experience with PFs installed in M20Js.

• MSC A&P #1: half of owners like them, half of owners say it didn't make any improvement and isn't worth the money
  • MSC A&P #2: most owners like them
  • M20J w/ Power Flow owner #1: worthwhile, especially for improvement in CHTs (see links below)
  • M20J w/ Power Flow owner #2: didn't make a huge difference, not worth the hassle

From this small sample I agree with MSC A&P #1: half of M20J owners like them, half of owners say it's not worth it.

Owner #1 did a great writeup on MS a while back.

=== BEFORE ===

=== AFTER ===

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:48 PM, PT20J said:

I'm curious: Most everyone that has Powerflow grumbles about how much of a pain it is to disassemble it every year to lubricate the slip joints. Has anyone NOT done this and noticed any problem (or not had any problem)? The reason I ask is that the stock system also has slip joints. Some people don't do any maintenance on these. A lot of mechanics squirt some mouse milk or Aerokroil in them whenever the cowling is off (that's what I do) and never have a problem.

I had an issue with the tail pipe hitting the cowl flap and thought it was due to the ball joint binding. I took it apart and lubed it with C5-A (MIL-PRF-907F, latest version of what Powerflow calls for) and that made it rotate freely. Fifty hours later, I checked it and it was just as tight as before. So, I'm not convinced that the lubrication buys anything after a few hours.

The only requirement to disassemble and lubricate annually I see is in the form of an ICA ,and ICAs are not required to be complied with for part 91 operations unless they show up in a limitations supplement to the AFM. So, I'm wondering if the Powerflow really needs this extra lubrication.

Skip

The ICA has an airwothiness limitation section which must be complied with even for part 91. 

1 hour ago, Beechbum said:

The ICA has an airwothiness limitation section which must be complied with even for part 91. 

This is correct. I noted this in another thread. The FAA-approved ICA document contains the text below. It is unusual for an ICA to include an airworthiness limitation; most manufacturers avoid that. However, this one does, and, since the limitation requires inspection of the joints after disassembly, applying lubricant externally won't satisfy  the limitation. BTW, the reason for the quotation marks is that this is the exact text that the FAA requires be in an airworthiness limitation section of an ICA.

6.2 AIRWORTHINESS LIMITATIONS
“The Airworthiness Limitations section is FAA approved and specifies maintenance
required under §§43.16 and 91.403 of the Federal Aviation Regulations unless an
alternative program has been FAA approved.”
6.2.1 Mandatory Replacement Time – None. Any collector assembly that is damaged and/or
fails the pressure test described below must be rebuilt or replaced.
6.2.2 Structural Inspection Interval – At 100 hour or Annual intervals, depending on the service
regime of the aircraft. WARNING: Carbon Monoxide gas present in exhaust gases
can lead to pilot incapacitation and/or death. A damaged exhaust system has the
potential to allow Carbon Monoxide into the aircraft cabin. To prevent such an
occurrence, it is imperative that the exhaust system is inspected using the intervals
and procedures described in this report. It is recommended that in-cabin carbon
monoxide levels be measured periodically. Concentrations of greater than 50ppm

Installation Instructions and
Instructions for Continued Airworthiness
Kit: PFS-16201(-GEN2)

PFS-16150-00 Rev G Page 18 of 26 January 30, 2018
will require immediate exhaust system inspection and repair or replacement as
necessary.
6.2.3 All slip joints must be disassembled and lubricated with a high-temperature anti-seize
compound (MIL-A-907E or equivalent) at 500hr or Annual intervals (whichever comes
first). While disassembled, inspect for wear or galling. This should be performed more
frequently if headers seize between inspections.
6.2.4 Structural Inspection Procedure – See Section 6.6.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
Dear Mooniacs

In our 1998 M20J Allegro, s/n 24-3429, we installed in 2020 the Power Flow Exhaust System.

I now realized that we still have the original and complete exhaust system, removed at 1.400hrs and 22years AirframeTT.

Today I took the pictures in attach of the original Exhaust System that I keep in my garage.

Do you think this is useful to you? If so, would you like to make an offer via PM??

Kind regards
Fredi
+351 910 690 093

IMG_6999.JPEG

IMG_7004.JPEG

IMG_7005.JPEG

IMG_6998.JPEG

IMG_6996.JPEG

IMG_6997.JPEG

IMG_7002.JPEG

IMG_6995.JPEG

IMG_6994.JPEG

IMG_6993.JPEG

IMG_6992.JPEG

IMG_6991.JPEG

IMG_7000f.JPEG

IMG_7001.JPEG

IMG_6990.JPEG

IMG_7003.JPEG

IMG_6989.JPEG

IMG_6988.JPEG

IMG_7000b.JPEG

IMG_6987.JPEG

IMG_7007.JPEG

IMG_6986.JPEG

IMG_6983.JPEG

IMG_6985.JPEG

IMG_6982.JPEG

IMG_6981.JPEG

image.jpeg

IMG_7006.JPEG

IMG_7000a.JPEG

IMG_7000c.JPEG

IMG_7000d.JPEG

IMG_7000e.JPEG

2 hours ago, Costa Leite said:
Dear Mooniacs

In our 1998 M20J Allegro, s/n 24-3429, we installed in 2020 the Power Flow Exhaust System.

I now realized that we still have the original and complete exhaust system, removed at 1.400hrs and 22years AirframeTT.

Today I took the pictures in attach of the original Exhaust System that I keep in my garage.

Do you think this is useful to you? If so, would you like to make an offer via PM??

Kind regards
Fredi

IMG_6999.JPEG

IMG_7004.JPEG

IMG_7005.JPEG

IMG_6998.JPEG

IMG_6996.JPEG

IMG_6997.JPEG

IMG_7002.JPEG

IMG_6995.JPEG

IMG_6994.JPEG

IMG_6993.JPEG

IMG_6992.JPEG

IMG_6991.JPEG

IMG_7000f.JPEG

IMG_7001.JPEG

IMG_6990.JPEG

IMG_7003.JPEG

IMG_6989.JPEG

IMG_6988.JPEG

IMG_7000b.JPEG

IMG_6987.JPEG

IMG_7007.JPEG

IMG_6986.JPEG

IMG_6983.JPEG

IMG_6985.JPEG

IMG_6982.JPEG

IMG_6981.JPEG

image.jpeg

IMG_7006.JPEG

IMG_7000a.JPEG

IMG_7000c.JPEG

IMG_7000d.JPEG

IMG_7000e.JPEG

I would like this. It I can’t get ahold of you with that number 

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

I would like this. It I can’t get ahold of you with that number 

It appears to be in Portugal.  Most cell phones will insert all the appropriate prefix info by inputting the "plus sign".  On mine, I get the "plus sign" by holding down zero for a couple of seconds.  Then dial the country code and the rest.