M20G glide chart

• 3 weeks later...

See if you can get the most recent copy of the POH printed for the M20G... an F can provide similar guidance... a J will be close, but not as accurate...

Then Find the thread where Chuck N posted his glide experiments...

Then develop some rules for yourself for your plane...

Topics that get covered...

• configuration
  • speed
  • weight
  • prop stopped or windmilling slowly...
  • effects of idle power... not nearly the same as a dead engine...
  • procedures
  • glide rings (iPad programs)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I would expect the G's glide performance to be somewhere between the C and F model. Both of these have numerous uploads in the Documents section; my 1970 C Owner's Manual is there, and it has a Glide Chart in the Performance section just before the Performance Charts used to set engine parameters. The same should be in later F books, too.

Gs will have the size and weight of the F, with additional carburetor chin drag of the C. Don't expect to get J model glide performance, there was a lot of aerodynamic work going from F to J.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Eman... use as exact numbers as possible...

Book numbers will have some extra fat baked in... like MGTW numbers...

when you go to use them, you will appreciate their accuracy and not making additional assumptions on the fly...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

-a-

13 hours ago, eman1200 said:

I wonder if anyone sets up their glide rings on the conservative side or exact poh #s.....

I set it exactly to the numbers so that the glide ring shows the "theoretical maximum" glide distance.   Then I know that airports near the ring are "iffy", and those well within are virtually assured targets.