Sport Air Racing

rasman

Fellow Go Fasters,

I would like to invite you to participate in the fantastic sport of Air Racing.

sportairrace.org

I'm getting a little tired of having the only Mooney on the line. :)

How this works we race in class. We start based on an estimated race speed and fly a course that may be 100-150 nm. Some of the events are held in conjunction with Air Shows Some are race only events. The camaraderie is great Generally 20 - 40 aircraft show for the event. There are some interesting aircraft. The last two races had participating a P51 mustang, T28x2. We even had the recent east west record holder. Races are held all over the country. Take a look at the site any questions let me know.

Checked out the link. Looks like fun for sure. I will eagerly watch the results. I however, don't have enough money at this time to endeavour in racing. Certified aircraft engines just cost way too much to fix and rebuild. Somehow, flogging my engine at low altitude doesn't sound like I'm going to make TBO. Racing of any kind always costs you. At this time I will have to be a spectator. Please post all the results of your exploits and the races.Cool

Quote: rasman

Fellow Go Fasters,

I would like to invite you to participate in the fantastic sport of Air Racing.

sportairrace.org

I'm getting a little tired of having the only Mooney on the line. :)

How this works we race in class. We start based on an estimated race speed and fly a course that may be 100-150 nm. Some of the events are held in conjunction with Air Shows Some are race only events. The camaraderie is great Generally 20 - 40 aircraft show for the event. There are some interesting aircraft. The last two races had participating a P51 mustang, T28x2. We even had the recent east west record holder. Races are held all over the country. Take a look at the site any questions let me know.

Quote: DaV8or

Checked out the link. Looks like fun for sure. I will eagerly watch the results. I however, don't have enough money at this time to endeavour in racing. Certified aircraft engines just cost way too much to fix and rebuild. Somehow, flogging my engine at low altitude doesn't sound like I'm going to make TBO. Racing of any kind always costs you. At this time I will have to be a spectator. Please post all the results of your exploits and the races.Cool

I'm thinking you are right about mis-timing your run. I quickly looked up the 201 on pilot friend and was wondering if you had left the gear down?Wink

I once raced a sailboat for 24 hours came in second to a boat that won two awards; first place and the boat on the course the longest. Handicapping is madness sometimes. Yell We finished two and a half hours BEFORE he did!

Quote: sleepingsquirrel

I'm thinking you are right about mis-timing your run. I quickly looked up the 201 on pilot friend and was wondering if you had left the gear down?Wink

I once raced a sailboat for 24 hours came in second to a boat that won two awards; first place and the boat on the course the longest. Handicapping is madness sometimes. Yell We finished two and a half hours BEFORE he did!

Quote: Becca

Check out the air race photos here:  http://www.sportairrace.org/id407.html  It turns out the Yak flew the whole race with his gear down and then when he came into land, he put the gear up.  Yes, that confused.

We heard informally from the race coordinator that my time was off by 10 minutes (entered incorrectly in the spreadsheet).  That means it should have been 47:26, which would have put my average speed at 153 kts (177 mph).

Yes the nose gear doors aren't closing all the way, the last shop that worked on it adjusted them a little, but now the nose gear hits the left door when towing it around. they operate on an eccentric along with the nose gear,  and the whole gear system must be rerigged to change that.  We will, though.

Quote: Becca

Here's a photo of me racing, notice the gear up, where they are supposed to be.  But maybe you're right, I should slow it down a little to make it a fair fight for the other suckers not in Mooneys...

Check out the air race photos here:  http://www.sportairrace.org/id407.html  It turns out the Yak flew the whole race with his gear down and then when he came into land, he put the gear up.  Yes, that confused.

We heard informally from the race coordinator that my time was off by 10 minutes (entered incorrectly in the spreadsheet).  That means it should have been 47:26, which would have put my average speed at 153 kts (177 mph).

We all know those old books in 1977 lie, but this is 34 years later.  You know we didnt tape any doors, vents, scoops, seams or gaps, had misrigged ailerons, droopy nose gear doors, crappy antennas, forward CG, overfueled, ball not centered, hell, we didnt even polish, wax it or take the tiedown rings out.   This on 200 HP, 18 GPH, and CHT's of 360.   I have a few things planned for the next race, as you can see. 

Quote: jetdriven

We all know those old books in 1977 lie, but this is 34 years later.  You know we didnt tape any doors, vents, scoops, seams or gaps, had misrigged ailerons, droopy nose gear doors, crappy antennas, forward CG, overfueled, ball not centered, hell, we didnt even polish, wax it or take the tiedown rings out.   This on 200 HP, 18 GPH, and CHT's of 360.   I have a few things planned for the next race, as you can see.