M20J sound on yoke full forward

SuperDaggi

Hi,

My M20J 201 has a weird resistance at a specific point when pushing the yoke all the way forward and I can also hear a sound that seems to come from behind the panel when I overcome that resistance.

Is that normal? This doesn't occur in the range of movement I would normally do on the yoke, it's well beyond, probably somewhere like halfway forward.

No, it's not normal and it is potentially dangerous.  It sounds like some portion of the control linkage is catching on either wiring, SCAT tubing, or some other hose behind the panel.

You will need to lie down on your back with your head on the floor (or near to it) looking up behind the panel.  Using a strong flashlight, manipulate the controls forward and aft and look at the different linkages as they travel.  Look for where something gets "grabbed" by the controls.  After about 5-10 minutes you will probably 1.) identify the source of the resistance and 2.) have a much greater respect for the mechanics that work on airplanes.

I suggest you have a mechanic reroute whatever the controls are contacting.

• Like 6

While you are in there...

Some annual cleaning and lubrication can eliminate some various resistances and noises.  Have your mechanic follow the lubrication procedure from the annual procedure to see if that helps...

Sometimes dirt and grime have a tendency to build right at the edge of the normal travel for the controls.  You might even sense them doing the control checks during the pre-flight activities...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Something has fallen and can't get up.   There should be some wires coming out of the yoke tube that go through an adel clamp.  Start with those on both side.  Keep looking till you find it.   There is a fair amount of vent tubing on the copilot side that can get out of plane.

Something has fallen and can't get up.   There should be some wires coming out of the yoke tube that go through an adel clamp.  Start with those on both side.  Keep looking till you find it.   There is a fair amount of vent tubing on the copilot side that can get out of plane.

And if you have a nice shop, they will wire up a bundle, put a connector on it in case there is another yoke switch you want added.

30faf3d0fb6703bef5f00ac47d8b8bf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guys, thank you so much!

I have done as instructed and put myself in there until I finally figured out what was making the sound and causing the resistance.

Turns out it was the control bar going through a kind of fairing in the panel. Really only required some lubrication...

Gotta admit, it felt and sounded like something much worse.

• Like 3