Rant of the day

ryoder

Can we eliminate putting planes in "hangers"? Those are what I put my shirts on. My Mooney lives in a "hangar."

Hank, that's ridiculous!

I throw my shirts under the bed.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 5

How about "aircrafts"?  Is that really a word?  I hear it occasionally and can't help but wonder if it is even a word?

On a funnier note; when I arrived at boot camp back in the 70's I had a drill sergeant (Drill Instructor or D.I.) respond to a private about his "gun".  First, the whole company had to drop and pound out 50 push ups.  Once we got back on our feet the D.I. explained the difference between a gun and a rifle.  As he stood in front of us newbee  G.I.'s, while grabbing his crotch with one hand and holding his rifle aloft with the other, shaking each hand as he described it, he said "this is your rifle, this is you gun, this is for fighting, and this is for fun".  Needless to say, no one called their rifle a gun again.

• Like 2

How about "aircrafts"?  Is that really a word?  I hear it occasionally and can't help but wonder if it is even a word?

On a funnier note; when I arrived at boot camp back in the 70's I had a drill sergeant (Drill Instructor or D.I.) respond to a private about his "gun".  First, the whole company had to drop and pound out 50 push ups.  Once we got back on our feet the D.I. explained the difference between a gun and a rifle.  As he stood in front of us newbee  G.I.'s, while grabbing his crotch with one hand and holding his rifle aloft with the other, shaking each hand as he described it, he said "this is your rifle, this is you gun, this is for fighting, and this is for fun".  Needless to say, no one called their rifle a gun again.

Ah, the good old days! DIs can't swear anymore, and recruits can raise their flag if they feel threatened . . .

So the movie "Full Metal Jacket" got it right, eh?

Tom, I can assure you its a rifle, in boot camp 1967, I was hit in the head by a Gunny for saying the wrong thing and was unconscious for 5 days in Beaufort Navy hospital, had quite a headache, last time I misspoke. Andy it would be better to just have the media keep there traps shut. Nothing good comes from  there communication.

• Like 1

What do you call it if it only shoots blanks?

Clarence

What do you call it if it only shoots blanks?

Clarence

I suspect you're joking, but no such thing back then in basics.  All the D.I.'s were fresh back from Nam, so this was the real thing.  We even had to take live fire over our heads while crawling under barb wire.  If you stood up, you would end up in a pine box. We were considered wussy's since we were not going to war (first year after Nam officially over), so were given no mercy.  One thing nice, they hated bringing back live ammo after a session on the gun range, so a few of us always volunteered to "fire it off" at the end of our firing range sessions.  Probably why my small group all qualified as "Expert" on the final shooting tests.  Being a Yooper (U.P. of Michigan resident), I lived in the woods with a rifle, so loved shooting any time I could.

Now, the time I corrected  D.I. on the proper tear down and reassembly of the M-60 machine gun, in front of a 40 man platoon, is a story for another day.:(

• Like 2