Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

• 3 weeks later...

Hi francisg,

I plan on doing a modification for the 65 and older models very similar to this after I get the data submitted for the current project. It will be a while before any of the kits are available for sale as the certification timeline is unknown.

Thank you,

David

• Like 2

Hi francisg,

I plan on doing a modification for the 65 and older models very similar to this after I get the data submitted for the current project. It will be a while before any of the kits are available for sale as the certification timeline is unknown.

Thank you,

David

David I live fairly close to you! Id love to see pictures and mabey a quote for a 65 mooney m20e lol.

Hi Shadrach,

In talking with a well known Mooney expert who has done quite a few modifications, it's of the opinion that by having the air filter and air inlet in the cowling taking in the pressurized air that you'll gain the same manifold pressure as you would having the ram air. At this time I'm not planning on the ram air for the fuel injection models unless I get feedback that suggests that's what the market wants. I want to test my cowling design in an E or F model and compare it to one that has the ram air and see the real data between the two.

Thank you,

David

• Like 1

Hi Shadrach,

In talking with a well known Mooney expert who has done quite a few modifications, it's of the opinion that by having the air filter and air inlet in the cowling taking in the pressurized air that you'll gain the same manifold pressure as you would having the ram air. At this time I'm not planning on the ram air for the fuel injection models unless I get feedback that suggests that's what the market wants. I want to test my cowling design in an E or F model and compare it to one that has the ram air and see the real data between the two.

Thank you,

David

David, for my '66 M20E: RAM air is still worth about +1" MAP even with a Challenger Air Filter Kit.

http://mooneyspace.com/gallery/image/33732-2013-01-28-n943rw-close-up/

• Like 1

David, for my '66 M20E: RAM air is still worth about +1" MAP even with a Challenger Air Filter Kit.

based on where your air inlet is, Bob, you will get an increase of MP with ram air as the stock air inlet sits in a low pressure area. David's cowl moves this intake to a higher pressure area, which should negate most if not all of the benefit of having a unfiltered "ram" air inlet. Your oil cooler is also in a low pressure area if still in the stock location. Mooney moved these items when Roy Lopresti put his hands on the design sheets. The J's that have this "feature" don't really gain much if anything because of this redesign, and the Ram air becomes more of a liability.

The Challenger didn't really add anything to the effective MP to my old F when I added it, but it did get rid of that nasty old Brakett filter, looks cool and made me think I had 500 more horsepower. 

• Like 1

http://mooneyspace.com/gallery/image/33732-2013-01-28-n943rw-close-up/

Mine is the same as Bob's.  However, if the air inlet is moved as described by David to the bottom of the port cowl opening, then it will probably allow for the 1" increase in manifold pressure over the current (less than efficient) air intake system.  Imagine losing the need for that rubber sleeve and get a permanent overall increase in MP (just me wishin').

• Like 1

Your oil cooler is also in a low pressure area if still in the stock location.

Mike, my oil cooler was moved to approximately the 201 config. Note the 2 landing/taxi lights in the first pic. 

http://mooneyspace.com/gallery/image/33685-replace-engine-baffle-seals/

Your oil cooler is also in a low pressure area if still in the stock location.

I have a hard enough time attaining the oil temp I want. 

Everyone says that the F won't need it with a redesigned intake. I'd sure like to see some data. I rode in a friends arrow back to my drome one day. And he definately was not getting the same mp as I was at 5500. I gues the arrow has a lousy intake as well...

i think there's a reason Lopresti included it on their newest cowl.

• Like 2

I think the new cowl give the same MP as running with Ram Air Open, but without bringing in unfiltered air. I'm all about more power! Then again, I fixed some induction losses at annual in Jan and have picked up 12 mph in cruise. I'd love to get some more speed for free.

Don't forget to include the "B" model Mooney on the STC list.  It is the same in the front end as the "C" so why not include the "B" as an approved model in the STC process? 

Company "X" makes a sloped windshield mod for the C, D, E, F and G but left the "B" model off the approved list. When I asked company "X" why, I was told that it was simply an oversight during the approval process... A typo...  This "oversight" made it impossible for me to add a sloped windshield, even though the drawings of the "B" were no different than subsequent models in that area of the windshield.  This "oversight" requires me to obtain a field approval and jump through all sorts of impractical hoops if I were to slope my windshield.   I am stuck with a Fred Flintstone windshield. 

Except for a dual exhaust and the inlet port for the heater duct in the landing light well, the B is the same as all other early model mooneys

Please don't forget us "B" guys as well.

Phil Mc

I'm also curious about my D model. Is our engine bay a replica of the C model?

I have a hard enough time attaining the oil temp I want. 

Everyone says that the F won't need it with a redesigned intake. I'd sure like to see some data. I rode in a friends arrow back to my drome one day. And he definately was not getting the same mp as I was at 5500. I gues the arrow has a lousy intake as well...

i think there's a reason Lopresti included it on their newest cowl.

I have the LoPresti cowl on my J, and at 8,000' I can gain a bit over 1"" in MP with it open. There is a good video on the LoPresti website that shows how their ram air works.

I have the LoPresti cowl on my J, and at 8,000' I can gain a bit over 1"" in MP with it open. There is a good video on the LoPresti website that shows how their ram air works.

I have no doubt. While I'd not argue that the F's original intake was great. I particularly like having it for low alt LOP operations. Opening the Ram air at 3000' will give another 35 degrees at WOT.

• 2 months later...

Hi francisg,

on my first test flight the cylinder temps are down about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm  sealing up my baffling and replacing one of my baffle seals to close an air gap. My new carb airbox almost works too well in that when the carb heat is pulled to full on, the engine stumbles briefly. I need to limit the travel of the carb heat to keep it from stumbling as the temp increase is more than sufficient in less than full on position. I'm also adjusting the cowl flaps in different positions to see what impact that has on cylinder temp. It will be about a week and a half before I take it back up on another test flight. I'll do a couple more general test flights to work cowl flap data then do the performance flights to see what gain in performance I achieved. 

Thanks,

David

• Like 5