Mooney Accident in Texas

Hank

Roger Petersen, the pilot was not instrument rated. The official investigation said that the pilot had difficulty interpreting the Sperry F3 attitude gyro. The presentation is reversed from what we use today. Jerry Dwyer, the owner of that Bonanza, still swears that the Bopper shot the pilot.

Once you fly a Bonanza that delightful control harmony makes Mooney pilots forget the fuel flow meter. Kinda like leaving your plain Nebraska housewife and 3 kids at the bus stop in Omaha for a Columbian flight attendant. According to a friend of mine who owns a 175 knot, 17 GPH S35 Bonanza, that 201 flies like a dump truck.

I happen to like Nebraska, myself.

I happen to like Nebraska, myself.

If Becca reads your post, the dog house may be in your future. ;)

If there is any plane in our category that can top a recent A-36 with tip tanks and a Tornado Alley turbo normalizer for long comfortable cross county cruising, I haven't found it.

• Like 1

If Becca reads your post, the dog house may be in your future. ;)

I think you have his post backwards. I think he is saying that he is happy with his Nebraska wife and maybe even his Mooney too?

If there is any plane in our category that can top a recent A-36 with tip tanks and a Tornado Alley turbo normalizer for long comfortable cross county cruising, I haven't found it.

I guess it depends on your definition of comfort and also what it takes to "top". I would say that an Acclaim "tops" an A36 IMO. However, this all depends on definitions.

The older short bodies have less of a CG problem. 850 useful + tip tanks = 1050.....as much as you can stuff in. Won't fit a 200lbs buck inside..... (no cargo pod mod :) :) :) :): )

Congratulations John!!

Looking forward to seeing your new set of wings.  Your Mooney should sell quickly as she's a good example.

-Seth

• Like 1

Hey, the pilot WAS instrument rated, but unfamilar with the "new" instruments in the Beechcraft. He had requested MULTIPLE weather updates and got a CRAPPY brief...launched into history...

The Day, The Music.....Died.

You made me wonder...because I read the NTSB recently which didn't coincide. He flunked his ride and was not rated....

Pilot—Maybe, Baby

The pilot, 21 years old, was employed by the FBO as a commercial pilot and flight instructor, and had been with them about a year. He had started flying in October 1954, with 711 hours total time and 128 in Bonanza. He had approximately 52 hours of dual instrument training and had passed the instrument written examination, but he had failed an instrument flight check in March 1958, nine months prior to the accident. His instrument training had been in several aircraft, all equipped with a conventional artificial horizon, but he had no experience with the Sperry attitude gyro that was installed in Bonanza N3794N. These two instruments differ greatly in their pictorial display, and the CAB believed that he would have had difficulty interpreting a completely different display.

• Like 1

Kinda agree with Dave that's why there is vanilla and chocolate, my real good buddy has a Bonanza, I have a Bravo a GX, and another buddy has ttx...all have there good and not as good points. I'm not a big guy and have owned 3 Mooneys. I only would move to another type if it were a nice Baron similar to what Brett purchased. Since it's only me and wife the Mooney fits all my needs and I actually am more comfy in my Bravo than Dave's Bonanza...which is a great plane I'm in no way bashing the B's but ....

Anyone know where this airplane was sold off to? Wentworth, White Industries, Texas Air Salvage? I covet the rocker switches in that airplane.

It can take weeks to months before a salvage gets sold off.  ASOD would be a good bet since they're the closest to the wreck.