Mooney 20S Screaming Eagle versus Ovation

benpilot

Do a search on this topic as it has been discussed a number of times but in a nutshell. The Screamin' Eagle is equivalent to the 310 HP Ovation 3 modified with the Midwest Mooney STC leased to the factory. Some of the initial mods were only to 280 HP. In addition the STC increases the fuel capacity to that of the Ovation as well as the gross weight to 3368 same as the Ovation. Since the Screamin' Eagle generally has less equipment they are lighter, faster, easier to maintain and have a higher useful load. As an example my useful load is 1122 lbs.

If you're looking at the Screaming Eagle STC, you should consider the missile as well. Rocket Enginering developed the Rocket and Missile conversions. The Rocket is turbocharged, the Missile is normally aspirated. These mods are what caused the Mooney Factory to produce the Bravo and Ovation.

The Missile is a "baby" ovation. 300 HP IO-550 and fully feathering prop on a mid length body (converted 201/M20J). You get easy 180 knots, 185-190 if you want to burn up the engine. It is 200 lbs lighter than the ovation with a gross weight increase.

Mine is a 1983 conversion and my useful load is 1067 lbs.

They are usually priced below ovation models yet have better performance. It is an STC however, but extensive testing (over 1000 flight hours) were tested for the Rocket conversion. The Missile was the add on STC - similar power down low, less at altitude.

There are sometimes a few for sale. There is an example with TKS available now in NC and he's asking $144k (price reduced twice - he needs to move it and is on this board). Most are usually priced in the $110k-$140k.

If you're looking at the Screaming Eagle, you should also look at the Missile - it will have an older airframe as the last conversions were completed in the late 1990s and the Eagle avionics are not as top of the line as similar year Ovations unless they've been upgraded.

You can't go wrong with a Missile, Screaming Eagle, or ovation - aircraft age and money are two large factors.

-Seth

Thanks Cris, sounds like the Eagle is better deal now compared to an Ovation. Besides the 252 and Bravo, I will add it to my consideration should I go the Mooney route.

Well, if you don't go the mooney route, the only acceptable reason is that your wife is pregnant again and this will be child #3, in which case you should be looking at a TBM and just get over it :) Anything else is rationalization, pressure to get a lexus like interior with a chute, or peer pressure because your a Doctor and they just don't think like engineers :)

Seriously, good luck with your decision. Mate the new family addition to your mission and you will be fine!

• Like 1

Go with the O3 power on whatever Mooney you can get it on...

Seriously, go fly one, or don't because it is addictive.

Anyone see the price of fuel dropping? And the stock market going up? The sun is shining? The factory is reopenning.....

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks guys, I will do that. I enjoyed the Mooney Rocket that I flew once I got the rudder pedals adjusted and figured out how to use the trim.

For the money, nothing beats the Mooney in speed and fuel efficiency even though the longer body models (Ovation/Bravo/Eagle) use more fuel. I'd have to pay a cool several million to get a faster plane. 

Screamin', Standing O, or O3....

These are the names for N/A Long Bodies with 310hp.

The Missile gets 300hp in the familiar J.

Mountain crossers prefer the TC or TN...

Price differences between these planes are less related to their character name, but more related to the content of their Instrument panel.

There are many long bodies in the $200K and below market. Make sure you get what you want in the plane before negotiating.

Seth's Missile must be a blast to fly on a cold day...

That would be a good reason to call it a missile!,

-a-

Thanks guys, I agree finding the right plane with decent avionics is really important consideration. Upgrading avionics is time consuming and a financial adventure that I'd like to avoid. Lots of Mooney for sale but alas most have crappy avionics from the stone age! The Mooney Rocket that I flew had garbage avionics and dude wanted 140k for it! Then I had the chance to fly a nice Mooney 201J for sale with a sweet avionics panel with a Garmin 650 GTN and Aspen MFD. That was quite nice and only 80k half the price and performance of the Rocket but better avionics. 

Sky new,

You do realize that you may be insulting a few people as you go along the way you are???

People have been generous and down-right courteous with you for a long time.

And they all have something that you don't. And, they already have a plane full of avionics.

Try, just try to be pleasant with everybody here. They may lose patience with you after a while. I know you know this already.

Maybe you just forgot what you were doing...

Most Mooney owners I have met didn't try to impress me by telling me that my Ovation was fat and full of ancient avionics.

I get it, I have teenagers that blather on about how great their future is and how the car will be faster than mine and their plane will only have the latest electronics.

I can't wait to see what you get!

Go buy your plane already, please.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

Sky new,

I can't wait to see what you get!

Go buy your plane already, please.

Fine advise from Anthony....to someone without a PP or plane, but with lots of strong opinions, based on tissue thin experience.

Brings to mind the quote about "Don't know what you don't know".

• Like 2

Fine advise from Anthony....to someone without a PP or plane, but with lots of strong opinions, based on tissue thin experience.

Brings to mind the quote about "Don't know what you don't know".

Can you imagine what the insurance guys will want from freshly minted skynewbie for an S, R, M or a rocket? In fact, you may want to start checking now for a carrier that will insure, as it may impact your decisions. Not to be a bearer of bad news, but one of my Instrument students just went thru this hoop and it is not pretty if you don't have some time under you.

Fine advise from Anthony....to someone without a PP or plane, but with lots of strong opinions, based on tissue thin experience. Brings to mind the quote about "Don't know what you don't know". Can you imagine what the insurance guys will want from freshly minted skynewbie for an S, R, M or a rocket? In fact, you may want to start checking now for a carrier that will insure, as it may impact your decisions. Not to be a bearer of bad news, but one of my Instrument students just went thru this hoop and it is not pretty if you don't have some time under you.
I think, if it wasn't him, but another with low time reported something around $6k for insurance.

Thanks I will check into the insurance. After passing my checkride, I plan to get checked out in the M20F for my complex and build some time.

You might want to consider using the F to get your instrument ticket in also. Things happen very very fast in an Ovation, Eagle, Rocket etc. which makes it that much more of a challenge for the rating. The F is a perfect instrument platform, IMHO. Heck, why not just buy an F and move up when you are ready. Even so, expect about 3K for your first year insurance with a 60K hull. After an instrument rating and 250 or so retract hours, this will drop to somewhere around 1100

Not even meaning to, that's exactly what I did. Purchased the F when I had about 120 hours, got my IFR, loved it, and then sold it for the Missile.

The F had older avionics but was fine. I learned to shoot approaches by hand with no GPS in the panel - good lesson. If I lose GPS signal in the new plane, no issue as I can still navigate using VORs, shoot approaches that are non GPS, and just use good old dead reckoning.

And yes - the Missile on a cold day leaps off the runway :)

Things do happen fast though even compared to the F which is a whole lot faster than a 172