Prop Strike today, October 8, 2013

Bob_Belville

Are they afraid to fly the plane to you? :o

I don't think so. I will discuss that possibility. Presumably the head of the flight school has "thousands of Mooney hours" including the J. Bar gear. He was going to take it up today but winds were 40 mph. He plans to fly it tomorrow morning.. 

Well, I'm sure y'all are getting bored but I am delighted to report that the Mooney flew for an hour this afternoon! They'll remove the cowl and do a final once over but the report is that all systems went well. 

It looks like the guys there will be able to ferry the plane home in the next few days. (We are getting snow this afternoon.)

How many pages did the take-off flaps thread rack up? I must be getting close with my little saga...

• Like 2

I'm disappointed to see that more people didn't step up to make Pilots N Bob a reality. I checked out the Delaware to Boston route and it certainly is doable (weather permitting) for me. If the ferry thing doesn't work out, let me know.

That would be fun. And I probably could get someone here to get me to your neighborhood since they could go and come in the same day. 

As it turns out, the owner of the Flight School @ Minuteman has a meeting in NC Tuesday and can delivery the plane. I'll know for sure tomorrow. If that's not going to happen we'll talk. It actually looks like there's going to be a break in the weather Thursday/Friday.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a daughter here in Acton near 6B6 and I am satisfied with the maintenance manager here so I probably will not try to ferry it out.

Looking at these pics I feel a little stupid to not have stayed on the line. I did not see the manhole cover. (The cones came out after my scrape.)

Well Bob, not to bring up bad memories, but I flew to Stow today on a Pilots N Paws trip.

Got current pictures of the offending pothole.

84a41afa6a88a24b32055451b2bade84.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old as this thread is, it was new to me, as well as educational and vicariously traumatic. That rut looks inconsequential.  I will worship the yellow line going forward.  My ill-maintained FBO ramp is full of ruts that I never gave much thought to previously - some not far from the yellow line...

• Like 2

Old as this thread is, it was new to me, as well as educational and vicariously traumatic. That rut looks inconsequential.  I will worship the yellow line going forward.  My ill-maintained FBO ramp is full of ruts that I never gave much thought to previously - some not far from the yellow line...

I was moving quite slowly, but going a little uphill. The small hole, kind of a washout, beside the drain allowed the nose to drop a couple of inches which was enough for the prop to just brush the pavement. I looked over at Nancy: "Did you hear that?"  yes... so I turned left and taxied to the maintenance shop ramp and shut it down. Sure enough a fraction of an inch was milled off the end of each blade.