Prop Strike today, October 8, 2013

Bob_Belville

What looked to be gorgeous day turned very sour when as I taxied for takeoff from 6B6 the nose wheel dipped in a depression in the taxiway near a manhole cover and I heard a sickening scrape.

So looking at prop and engine removal and repair. Maybe some battles with insurance company (QBE).

I'm sure there are some here that can venture advice which is welcome.

Damn....that airport is private I believe, and may have some culpability given the taxiway dip and manhole cover.

Given your slow taxi RPM, I wouldn't be so anxious to tear down the engine, unless you're near TBO. May not be required.

Stay calm, as best you can, Bob.
  • Like 1

Engine is 700 sfrm. I took pictures of the taxiway, pretty dangerous spot, the gal in the office brought out 2 orange cones after the horse left the barn.

The shop proposes sending the prop, a 4 year old Scimitar to New England Prop Service in Conn.

The engine would go to Unlimited Aero Engines in Fitchburg MA.

Gary, what would one make the call on tearing down the engine on? And with insurance involved should I take a chance?

Anyone know either? The shop on the field was high on both... 

Another thought would be to ferry the plane back to your home area so you can keep an eye on what work is being done. 

Good idea.

Hang a loaner prop on her, get a ferry permit, and take her home. Given your insurance company says OK, may as well tear the engine down, IF you have a good shop.

My next premium will probably increase by a dollar or two because of this. :P

Damn, sorry to hear that Bob.  I'm sure you've got enough hull insurance to cover this vs. getting the plane totaled, so best of luck going down that road.  The insurance company might subrogate back to the airport, but that is their battle to fight.  

I told the adjuster about the pavement. He said they are not likely to care about that, it's PIC responsibility to taxi safely, and unless there was very unusual circumstances it is a losing proposition for them to go after the airport.

Definitely agree about ferrying it to your home field or choice of shop so you won't be "held hostage" by an unknown entity to you.  Work with your agent and prop shop and you can probably find a loaner prop to make it happen.  Getting a ferry permit might be difficult with the partial gubmint shutdown right now, though.

• Like 2

I have a daughter here in Acton near 6B6 and I am satisfied with the maintenance manager here so I probably will not try to ferry it out.  

Looking at these pics I feel a little stupid to not have stayed on the line. I did not see the manhole cover. (The cones came out after my scrape.)

post-8913-0-14366600-1381253945_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-81237800-1381253948_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-59447300-1381253952_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-04923800-1381253957_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-88268000-1381253960_thumb.jp

Not all prop strikes are created equal!

Sounds like yours was "significant", but your A&P will have to decide on the degree of inspection/teardown.

Here's the AD that defines a prop strike and directs you to the Lycoming service bulletin:

http://www.caa.si/fileadmin/user_upload/pageuploads/AD-NOTE/AD-2004/038_FAA_AD_2004-10-14.pdf

The Lycoming bulletin is at:

http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/techpublications/servicebulletins/SB%20475C%20(01-30-2003)/Crankshaft%20Gear%20Modification%20and%20Assembly%20Procedures.pdf

Notice that while there is virtually no "wiggle room" on what constitutes a prop strike, other than the replacement of the crank bolt and lockplate, the AD  doesn't address much else.  Changing out the crank bolt does not entail splitting the case, just removing the accessory section and sump of the O-360.

I have two acquaintances that had engine failure directly attributable to previous, un-reported "minor" prop strike damage.  It is something to be taken very seriously.  Think about that while flying over W. Virginia on a dark night.

• Like 2

I have a daughter here in Acton near 6B6 and I am satisfied with the maintenance manager here so I probably will not try to ferry it out.  

Looking at these pics I feel a little stupid to not have stayed on the line. I did not see the manhole cover. (The cones came out after my scrape.)

That's pretty nasty. really sorry to see that. How bad is the prop?

That really sucks Bob. So sorry for you. The two airports I operate out of the most have some crappy taxi areas and it really makes me nervous in my Mooney, especially at night.

Good luck with the repair. If it was my aircraft, I would definately have the engine torn down. But that's just me.

Bob -- in a very bad attempt to cheer you up, at least you weren't in a vintage warbird. qu8ubuja.jpge5ety2ez.jpg The last I heard, the bill for this is suppose to come in at $300k.

My friend is repairing that Corsair , that's the "Cheap" Hamilton standard prop....Only 70K for the prop......Just the prop....