I love my Rebuilt Acclaim

AcclaimML

• 3 weeks later...

AcclaimML - sorry for beating a dead horse .. but you might want to visualize the air you fly in as a river of water for example. If you are sitting in a small boat in the river and not rowing, you will move at the speed of the water current. You will have a non-zero speed relative to the shore .. But its not because the water is hitting your boat .. Its just that the entire body of water with you in it is moving.

The yaw that you have to correct is because of p-factor, engine power output and aiframe characteristics.

The water analogy also helps in cases where you want to visualize turbulence by thinking of wind as water rushing at things like mountains. You can then expect "waves" and rotors on the leeward side much as you would see in a real water wave.

Another reason this is confusing is because we fly in one frame of reference (namely the sky/air) while we measure our flight progress on another frame (namely the earth) and these two are moving with relation to each other (wind). For example, if you want to drive from boston to austin, you always drive along a fixed route without making any "corrections". That is because all the movement is being done in a single frame .. namely the earth. If however, you were in a spacecraft and you want to fly from where "in space" boston is at now to where in space Austin is now ... You can draw a straight line that is connecting the two points and start flying. Just to make this plain .. assume you have a slow spacecraft and it will take you 8 hours to cover the distance, so by the time you reach the end of your plotted course .. Austin would have moved away because of the earths rotation. So you will have to apply some "correction" to time your arrival in such a way that by the time you reach the end of your course, austin would have moved into position underneath you.

Note that there is no wind hitting you in space .. But the earth's rotation behaves like wind in our day today flying. We are again using two frames of reference that are moving with respect to each other. One frame is the earth, the other frame is spaceinn which we are flying and the two are moving with respect to each other.

As i am typing this I think I finally understand why my GPS DTK keeps changing on long cross country flights. Althouugh i start out flying the magenta line, the earth and my destination keep moving and i keep getting a modifed DTK.

AcclaimML:  If you think this crowd is tough on you try the red board at AOPA!  If you post a story there about a bad landing or missing a hand off from ATC to tower half a dozen posters will tell you to give up on flying, lament that there are incompetent people like you sharing the airways with paragons of aviation perfection, etc.  The guys on Mooneyspace are lovable fuzzballs of charity compared to that site.  BTW,  I love my 252 but I do have avionics envy looking at your pix.  But when I saw 17.5gph I have to admit my envy softened a bit as I regularly fly at 11gph and make pretty good time.  Now if fuel went to, say $3 per gallon........maybe I could be convinced to upgrade.

bd32322 - The DTK in your GPS changes in reference to great circle calculation of a desired track along a curved surface, not because the earth and your destination is moving. 
Yeah thats true since the great circle is approximated with many short lines. Realized later the earth movement doesnt matter unless one is in space. The atmosphere happens to move along with the earth at the same rate, so the eart doesnt move underneath us :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In flight, an airplane is completely oblivious to wind direction; crosswind, headwind, or tailwind.  It only affects the ground track.  Not meaning to insult or seem condescending, but there really is no room for argument or discussion.  It is elementary.

Jgreen

We actually beat poor old Acclaim up about this. It turned out to be an indicator issue.

The indication on the G1000 was an instrumentation issue.  His understanding of the aerodynamics, however, was not.  I do think that horse is pretty well dead by now, though--no need to keep posting essentially the same thing weeks or months later to revive it.