Let's Talk Lubrication

BigTex

11 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Not sure about this. 

Jerry Manthey wrote an article in MAPA about it which I link earlier in this thread.  Suffice to say that there are few people who can teach Maxwell something about a Mooney. I would venture to say Jerry might be in that league.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The hinges are sealed needle bearings. You can put oil on them or whatever, but it just gets your plane greasy.  It’s not doing anything. 

I think the theory is that if you use a penetrating lubricant it will work into those seals and damage them  

-Robert   

OK, here’s the scoop on control bearings:

My M20J IPC does not list the bearings but only the next higher assemblies which are brackets with the bearings pressed into them. I confirmed with Dan Reisland at LASAR that the aileron, elevator and rudder bearings are PN3A. (I did not confirm, but believe that the flaps use PN4A bearings).

I confirmed with Ivette Prerez at RBC Bearings that they are NOT sealed. 

Therefore, the Mooney Maintenance Manual is correct and the bearings should be oiled with a light machine oil annually/100 hrs.

Skip

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I pulled together notes for lube requirements from the SMM for my M20J and figured I'd share it while I have it in front of me  (the site doesn't support the symbol font, though):

Mooney lubrication notes, by eaj, 8/22/2020.   See M20J SMM Section 5-20-7 P 18-20.

Order:  Lube items, manual symbol, specification, compliant products.

Landing Gear Zerks, W, MIL-G-81322, superceded by MIL-PRF-81322.   Mobil Grease 28 or Aeroshell 22

Rod ends, y, Teflon (PTFE), Tri-Flow specified.

Bellcranks, u-joints, bungee/spring attachments, flap indicator cable, fuel selector valve, baggage and cabin door hinges, control surface hinges, S, MIL-L-7870, superceded by MIL-PRF-7870C (or latest).  Low-temp general purpose light oil.   Suggested is 3-in-1, LPS 2.

Stabilizer trim jackscrew/actuator, chain and gear, j, specified Aeroshell 7

Wheel Bearings, Y, MIL-L-3545, superceded by MIL-PRF-81322G (or latest), Aeroshell 22 or Mobil SHC 100

Control rod guide blocks, D, MIL-G-23827 or MIL-G-3278, superceded by MIL-PRF-23827,  Aeroshell 7 or Aeroshell 33   (NOTE:  Aeroshell 7 and Aeroshell 33 are not compatible with each other, do not mix.)

Gear or flap actuator gear box, W, MIL-G-81322 superceded by MIL-PRF-81322,  Aeroshell 22 or Mobil SHC 100

Gear or flap actuator Ball screw, ë, specified Lubriplate 630AA

Note:  Aeroshell 22 covers most grease requirements, and cannot be mixed with Aeroshell 5
Note:  Aeroshell 7 (trim, guide blocks), and Lubriplate 630AA (ball screws) covers the rest of the grease requirements.

Spec status here:  http://everyspec.com/categories/lubrication/

Aeroshell compatibility notes here: https://www.shell.com/business-customers/aviation/aeroshell/knowledge-centre/the-aeroshell-book/_jcr_content/par/textimage_1433441235.stream/1519764636322/2450d6be71ecb544ed66e557f856b8e59a15ae28/aeroshell-book-5greases.pdf

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4