Got my ticket

Got my practical test done today.  It's been about 3 months of rescheduling for weather, conflicts, and rental plane maintenance but we finally got it done! Passed the exam a few weeks ago on my first try, and passed practical flight portion today first try.

I got home and my mind and body have completely given up on me.  I am couched.

• Like 24

12 minutes ago, Flyler said:

Got my practical test done today.  It's been about 3 months of rescheduling for weather, conflicts, and rental plane maintenance but we finally got it done! Passed the exam a few weeks ago on my first try, and passed practical flight portion today first try.

Woohoo! Nice 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flyler said:

WTG 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redbaron1982 said:

Congrats! And as others have mentioned, this is more a license to learn solo than a certificate of proficiency. 

^That’s a much nicer way of putting it than first instructor said when I passed my first ride. @Flyler keep that in mind! There’s more than can go wrong than can go right. It’s up to you to put in a continuous proactive effort to maintain a safe outcome. Congratulations and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, redbaron1982 said:

I remember how exhausted I was after every lesson during my ppl training, and much worse with the checkride!

Few thing I like less than anticipation of, and check rides. 

• Like 1

Just now, Flyler said:

Piper Warrior II

Cool! Those are good planes. I fly one around here when my plane is in the shop. But you know - with your PPL, you need to now get on a Mooney! :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shawnd said:

Cool! Those are good planes. I fly one around here when my plane is in the shop. But you know - with your PPL, you need to now get on a Mooney! :P

That's what I did: PPL + IR on a warrior (with a few hours on a 182T for the hp endorsement). From there, straight to the M20J, I completed my complex endorsement as part of the transition training.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redbaron1982 said:

I remember how exhausted I was after every lesson during my ppl training, and much worse with the checkride!

Congrats! And as others have mentioned, this is more a license to learn solo than a certificate of proficiency. 

Congratulations, and welcome to the <<1% of the world that can fly an airplane. (ok, about 1.5% in USA! :D)

Part of what makes a good pilot is to ingrain many actions to brain and muscle memory, especially for those emergency situations like engine out procedures.  Part of what makes a great pilot is the balance of muscle memory with always checking (checklists, instrument cross-checks, weather, etc.) and making those habits too. (loss of this is what's got me a bit stressed returning to flying after a multi-year hiatus). 

RAF Capt. Alfred Gilmer "Lamps" Lamplugh:  “Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.”

Once you get good habits, your workload and stress goes way down.  Good habits lead to good flying and leave you with more attention left to deal with the unexpected.

• Like 1

It is now starting to sink in that I have a 68 m20F waiting for me... :huh::blink::D

Perhaps the most challenging aspect of this was being able to mentally table the excitement and distractions of this beautiful Mooney waiting for me.  Now I can really dig into the manual, get the V speeds baked in, etc.  The Piper was a true workhorse and did a fine job, but its time has come.  N3956M, I salute you, but it is now time for me to move on.  May you continue to create pilots forever more, amen.