Garmin G3X discreet warnings

Guys, thoughts please about removing the POWER BOOST WARNING LIGHT and ALTERNATOR FAIL LIGHT and displaying those warning as discreets on the Garmin G3X display. Our second concern is that the warnings are what the aircraft was certified with, therefore have to stay in their current form (warning lights). Has anybody done this ?

Thanks,

Carl

Edited by Carl Everitt
spelling

There are a number of things that can be set in experimental mode that persist in certified mode. I discussed this with Garmin and Garmin’s position is that if the STC does not prohibit it, they don’t care. But, you have to use some basis for approval other than the STC. Some installers have been enabling some experimental features on certified installations and logging them as minor modifications to the STC. So, it’s really up to the owner and the installer since the owner is responsible for airworthiness and the installer has to be willing to make the logbook entry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

I need a chart of all the possibilities.

Just to discuss them with my shop of course. :D

Just download the experimental installation manual and pilot’s guide. Some items like flap position and gear warnings require modification to airframe systems and that’s where it gets sticky. 

The Mooney is a certified airplane. The manual describes where to find the indicator lights. My understanding is that you cannot remove the power boost light. Instead of removing it, you may wire it in parallel to the Garmin 3X.