2023 MAPA Safety Foundation PPP locations & dates

14 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

How do we sign up to join these?

This link is for the registration form.  I assume it will not change significantly for 2023 other than the locations offered.   It has the contact info for questions and a snail mail address to mail in a check.  

https://mooneypilots.org/assets/pdf/2022-mapa-sf-schedule-compressed.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 5:57 AM, Jerry 5TJ said:

There’s still room at the Lakeland PPP this month.  It starts Friday 27 January 2023   

The link to the Mooney Safety Foundation site is 

https://www.mooneysafety.com

The current information is at this site.  The MAPA site has not been updated 

I'm sure this is a worthwhile exercise, but I'm still not clear on the typical agenda.  Hours of classroom vs hours of flying over the three days and how they pair you up with an instructor for the flying portion (if that's what happens).  

When I took the class, ~4 hours of flying during the day (Saturday, including IFR approaches) and, if wanted, an hour or so for night currency.

The class is certainly worth going to. How often, that is up to the pilot. Instructor was based on the model flown (I had Jerry Johnson - he has a ton of M20C time since that is what he owns).

-Don

2 hours ago, DCarlton said:

I'm sure this is a worthwhile exercise, but I'm still not clear on the typical agenda.  Hours of classroom vs hours of flying over the three days and how they pair you up with an instructor for the flying portion (if that's what happens).  

A Typical PPP agenda:  Arrival Thursday, social gatherings Thursday evening. Then classroom all day Friday. Briefing with your instructor, who is selected for considerable experience in your specific model, on Friday afternoon.  Option to fly at night Friday evening.  Saturday each participant flies twice, broadly speaking with a syllabus calling for 1 VFR and 1 IFR session.  Banquet Saturday night.  Departure Sunday.   About 8 hours of ground work and around 4 hours of dual flight, plus more flight time if you opt for the night session.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Friday is typically a full day 8 hrs day of Mooney specific ground.

Over Saturday and upto Sunday morning you'll do 2 flights up to 2 hrs each with an instructor experienced in your model. First one will be the VFR flight review maneuvers, with the second flight being Instrument work potentially leading to an IPC for a current instrument pilots. Non-instrument rated pilots can do anything the pilot wants to work on including more extensive VFR training or nigh currency as @hammdomentioned.

• Like 2

They are really good. Every two years, rather than do a BFR with a local instructor who does not know Mooneys and where I do most of the teaching, I go to a PPP. Always learn something new. Also fun to put a face to some of the names you see here on Mooneyspace. I have been to five and I haven’t gone to a single one yet where I thought any of my time was wasted, on the contrary it is a constant learning and testing experience. As I said, the instructors are all really good, fun to fly with. How would you like to sit in a cockpit, fly for a few hours, and trade stories with someone who has owned and flown your model for the last ten years?

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 4

Go to the PPP!

Everyone is different… the people that go there…

Some are top of their game IFR pilots…

Some need their IPC update…

others want to improve their techniques with their latest Mooney…

Somebody will need to knock some rust off their flying shoes…

A BFR may be accomplished….

Sometimes there is a competitive nature… to fly one of the stranger approaches in the area… Radar, arc, ADF…

The coolest thing… everyone has a lot of Mooney knowledge there… so it’s like hanging with some close friends that you just met…

Often, you get a discount off your insurance just by asking… that goes a long way towards the cost of the class…

As a bonus… you get their handy handbook! And the maintenance for pilots class is top notch…

As you sign up… there will be questions about what you want to get accomplished… you will be assigned to a Mooney CFII or two…

You will learn something interesting, meet some great people, and probably recognize a few MSers while you are there…

PP thoughts only… not a cfi…

best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, robert38606 said:

I don't currently have it as it was just too ridiculous of a rate. 

There is no "special" insurance for the PPP, it's just your regular insurance with them named on your policy.  You just need to call or email your insurance broker and they'll take care of it.  Everything you need to know will be laid out in the information you get when you sign up for the PPP.

16 hours ago, PeteMc said:

There is no "special" insurance for the PPP, it's just your regular insurance with them named on your policy.  You just need to call or email your insurance broker and they'll take care of it.  Everything you need to know will be laid out in the information you get when you sign up for the PPP.

Except I don’t have insurance and it’s not worth paying 8 to 10k dollars to get it so I can go to the class unfortunately 

16 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Some insurance companies charge $250 to add MAPASF to your policy - to take the safety course - just an FYI…

-Don

6 hours ago, robert38606 said:

Except I don’t have insurance and it’s not worth paying 8 to 10k dollars to get it so I can go to the class unfortunately 

Until you crash your plane that costs 100,000 bucks plus to fix it. Insurance is there for a reason, it's a rip off, but is there until  you crash a plane that cost 100,000 bucks plus to fix it. Insurance is there for a reason, it's a rip off, but is there

34 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Until you crash your plane that costs 100,000 bucks plus to fix it. Insurance is there for a reason, it's a rip off, but is there until  you crash a plane that cost 100,000 bucks plus to fix it. Insurance is there for a reason, it's a rip off, but is there

I understand that, but I'm not paying 8 to 10k to insure that risk.  I'll absolutely take those odds and keep the money if they want to be that unreasonable. 

I would pay for good liability insurance though, but apparently all you can get is 100k per passenger, and that barely covers a broken toenail.

13 hours ago, hammdo said:

Some insurance companies charge $250 to add MAPASF to your policy

I'll admit it has been a while since I've gone to a PPP, timing just hasn't been great the last few years.  But in the past my insurance didn't charge anything extra. 

Wonder if that will still be true when I do eventually get signed up for one?