Gi275 vs g5 for backup of g500 and driving gfc500

philip_g

Right now we have a g500 with a vacuum standby ai and a century 41. I've been watching comments from people upgrading to the gfc500 autopilot with interest for awhile as you never know when the c41 might give up the ghost.

Somewhere I saw a comment I didn't understand that said there were advantages in using the g5 vs gi275 to drive the autopilot. Like the 275 wouldn't interface with the g500 or something weird. Since everything is named 5 or 500 searching is useless.. 

Did anyone else happen to catch what the downside of the 275 was, besides price?

Edited by philip_g

There is no problem that I am aware of using a GI 275 to drive a GFC 500. The issue is using a GI 275 as a required standby instrument with a G3X because the STC does not allow integrating the GI 275 with the G3X or GPS navigator. The GI 275 should be a good standby for a G500. With a G3X, the G5 is a better standby option.

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PT20J said:

There is no problem that I am aware of using a GI 275 to drive a GFC 500. The issue is using a GI 275 as a required standby instrument with a G3X because the STC does not allow integrating the GI 275 with the G3X or GPS navigator. The GI 275 should be a good standby for a G500. With a G3X, the G5 is a better standby option.

Skip

Ahhh thanks. That's probably what I was reading and extrapolated it as a problem with the 275 integration

• Like 1

The GI275 has been regarded by many shops (mine included) as a "TXi in a tube" for its functionality, reliability, and screen resolution - to name a few.  In short, it contains everything in that tiny little box that a G500 TXi would contain...including synthetic vision capability.  Pound for pound, it is worth every penny over the G5 and then some.  I'm about to have my third one installed, and will be removing a G5 to make room for the GI275.

• Like 1

I had the dealer update the my Garmin software last week.  I asked if they felt I should trade the G5 for a GI275. The recommendation was no-you have a G500txi and would not use the features-but, if you didn’t have a G500, then the 275 has tremendous features as described in a previous post.  I believe the confusion in one of the previous posts was because when Garmin first released the GI275, it would not interface (drive) the GFC500 autopilot.  But, that feature was added with software updates at some point. The only negative I have heard is if someone installs only one GI275 with many of the features offered, the screen gets rather busy.

Thanks Marc and Steven for your insights. 

My avionics shop would agree, more or less. They say "The GI275 is a fantastic device packed with features, but all that information is crammed on a very small display. Having a G500Txi, then a G5 as backup is all you need".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joris said:

Thanks Marc and Steven for your insights. 

My avionics shop would agree, more or less. They say "The GI275 is a fantastic device packed with features, but all that information is crammed on a very small display. Having a G500Txi, then a G5 as backup is all you need".

If you've ever flown behind a GI275, it isn't any different than any other standby ADI visually...mainly, in that the display is far more "crisp" than the G5.  The issue of visualization versus the two can be trained up, as long as the instrument is placed in the primary scan...preferably where your horizon is placed withing a reasonable height the horizon of your PFD.  Example in my previous Ovation below.  I have the G5 now, and although it's in the same general location as the below pic, the GI275 is easier to read, and I don't see the alleged "crowding" issue as much as some suggest.  It's largely due to the far-better resolution and sharpness over the G5.  I've had no issues with the 275.

I appreciate your shop's recommendation, but to be honest, you have to fly the airplane and be happy with it ultimately in the end.  To be honest, my shop has recommended many things in the last 10-12 years I've worked with them, but haven't taken 100% of them.

IMG_3304.jpg

7 hours ago, Joris said:

@StevenL757 Thanks for the thoughts. May I ask what the USB-charger/clock brand and model is you have in the picture?

Yes, it's a Mid-Continent MD93.  Aircraft Spruce, and other vendors sell them for between roughly $450 and $800, depending on what configuration/features you want.

https://www.mcico.com/clocks-3