Dan Gryder

The one in Chino on Father's Day was a tragic double-fatality.   Sad to have two crash so close together, but glad the second one wasn't worse.

Sad to hear Gryder was commenting on the first one.   

On 6/18/2024 at 10:49 PM, Shadrach said:

Yow…that looks bad.

IMG_0277.jpeg.b74cac5c005e865095890bb65a2b2c68.jpeg

Don’t worry - toxic a-holes like Gryder are indestructible- my thoughts are with the other two on board

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DXB said:

Don’t worry - toxic a-holes like Gryder are indestructible- my thoughts are with the other two on board

Damn Dev! You’re typically mild mannered. I’m no fan of Dan Gryder, but I’m really curious what he did to trigger such high levels of disgust and disdain. I think he’s a self-aggrandizing blowhard and his accident analysis is questionable at best.  Is he also known to kick puppies and run school buses off the road?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Damn Dev! You’re typically mild mannered. I’m no fan of Dan Gryder, but I’m really curious what he did to trigger such high levels of disgust and disdain. I think he’s a self-aggrandizing blowhard and his accident analysis is questionable at best.  Is he also known to kick puppies and run school buses off the road?

There's a significant history of douchebaggery, yes.

$1M defamation judgement against him.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/august/17/texas-court-orders-youtuber-to-pay-for-defamation

Protective order for stalking a woman:

https://casetext.com/case/angelle-v-gryder

This barely scratches the surface.   He has accusations of interfering with an NTSB investigation after he trespassed and stole evidence from a crash site in ID, a significant arrest record outside of that, etc., etc., etc.    The most recent was disparaging the pilots fatally injured in the crash of the Electra in Chino just days before this crash, when the possibility of knowing what actually happened is pretty low.

The examples are legion.

He's not exactly a pillar of aviation society.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

In addition to everything @EricJ accurately summarized, he has literally made an entire social media career out of disparaging (often deceased) pilots out of often incorrect snap judgements about accidents.  He also repeatedly insults, bullies, threatens, lies about others in the aviation community using his youtube channel as a platform - then quickly takes down the videos that become legally problematic and/or are  proven patently false - he wasn't fast enough in this once (the Charles Cook case) - and got burned with a large civil defamation judgement. Ask Mr. Cook and many of his other targets about the hell they went through because of Gryder. He has personally called up the employers of countless folks who dared to stand up to him and tries to get them fired - this behavior continues to this day. He also solicits donations to a bogus "nonprofit animal rescue" and "aviation safety foundation" he runs from his legion of fanboys (who all think he's just charmingly rough around the edges) - really I think this all goes into his personal account.  He is a special form of scumbag narcissist (an otherwise overused term that truly applies here).  I do not wish ill upon any pilot, but I cannot accept DG as a just a flawed human peer.  Truth be told, I would have chuckled had the tree that Electra hit decapitated him and reconsidered my view of the universe as indifferent to justice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DXB said:

I would have chuckled had the tree that Electra hit decapitated him and reconsidered my view of the universe as indifferent to justice.

That made me laugh.  I don't wish ill fate on Gryder or (almost) anyone else, but he seems to have inflamed almost everyone he has come into contact with.

Gryder does have a nasty personality and he reminds me of the aviation version of Alex jones but more important how are the other passengers and the tree? 

Where did Gryder get the money to fly this beautiful plane since he's been ordered to pay $1.1M? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DXB said:

In addition to everything @EricJ accurately summarized, he has literally made an entire social media career out of disparaging (often deceased) pilots out of often incorrect snap judgements about accidents.  He also repeatedly insults, bullies, threatens, lies about others in the aviation community using his youtube channel as a platform - then quickly takes down the videos that become legally problematic and/or are  proven patently false - he wasn't fast enough in this once (the Charles Cook case) - and got burned with a large civil defamation judgement. Ask Mr. Cook and many of his other targets about the hell they went through because of Gryder. He has personally called up the employers of countless folks who dared to stand up to him and tries to get them fired - this behavior continues to this day. He also solicits donations to a bogus "nonprofit animal rescue" and "aviation safety foundation" he runs from his legion of fanboys (who all think he's just charmingly rough around the edges) - really I think this all goes into his personal account.  He is a special form of scumbag narcissist (an otherwise overused term that truly applies here).  I do not wish ill upon any pilot, but I cannot accept DG as a just a flawed human peer.  Truth be told, I would have chuckled had the tree that Electra hit decapitated him and reconsidered my view of the universe as indifferent to justice.

Thanks for painting the picture. I’ve watched very few of his videos and was not aware of all of the sordid details.

• Like 2

I have to say, I know Dan personally. He has some very sharp edges and it is very sad, because he had so much to work with, so much aviation talent and yet he applies it all in such a perverse way as to make himself an anathema to any well mannered and thoughtful person. I think he has some personality problems that really need professional attention because no normal person acts as irrationally as he does, even for money.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Steve Dawson said:

Gryder does have a nasty personality and he reminds me of the aviation version of Alex jones but more important how are the other passengers and the tree? 

Where did Gryder get the money to fly this beautiful plane since he's been ordered to pay $1.1M? 

The Alex Jones of aviation.  That's perfect!!

The Electra was his friend's plane - that guy was PIC in the left seat, and it sounds like his injuries are much worse.  And Gryder is going on and on using social media about the accident, making himself out as a hero. Gryder can't even STFU long enough to help out his friend, who is likely to be the focus of the investigation.  

• Like 4

Juan Browne on the Blancolirio YouTube channel published a video that according to Juan shows the tail wheel unlocked as the plane was rolling out just after touch down. I guess this time they were above the DMMS vs below DMMS for ground handling with the tail wheel in the unlocked position.

Frank

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frank B. said:

Juan Browne on the Blancolirio YouTube channel published a video that according to Juan shows the tail wheel unlocked as the plane was rolling out just after touch down. I guess this time they were above the DMMS vs below DMMS for ground handling with the tail wheel in the unlocked position.

FTFY. The tail wheel makes at least one complete 360° spin, then turns more just before touchdown, which forces it to spin the other direction to line up behind the plane as it disappears into the grass. Then a couple seconds later, the plane begins turning left. At least it had slowed down a lot before hitting the tree . . . .

5 hours ago, Frank B. said:

Frank

Dan confirmed that the tailwheel was not locked, "I never locked a tailwheel for any BE-18 takeoff or landing and this has zero to do with what happened. We typically don’t lock tailwheel for any L12A operation"

It's pretty evident that the tailwheel wasn't locked in the vid, but it also seems evident that the tailwheel appeared to stabilize before the airplane started to turn off the runway.   I wouldn't conclude from the vid that it had anything to do with the accident.

• Like 2

If the right brake suddenly failed during dual braking, I would imagine the plane would swerve left while still holding the working left brake. But then be difficult to turn right. Pilot would panic approaching obstructions and continue braking hard.

What wins a tug of war? Left brake or right rudder (and maybe right steerable tailwheel)?

Edited by 201er
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 201er said:

If the right brake suddenly failed during dual braking, I would imagine the plane would swerve left while still holding the working left brake. But then be difficult to turn right. Pilot would panic approaching obstructions and continue braking hard.

What wins a tug of war? Left brake or right rudder (and maybe right steerable tailwheel)?

This was my initial thought.  The right landing gear was removed and brakes disconnected just before this flight.  Something as simple as some air in the right brake system could cause the right brake to be much less effective than the left and once that turn starts there probably isn’t anything you can do.  The one thing that could help- right brake - is unavailable.  

• Like 2