Dan Gryder

31 minutes ago, toto said:

Whoa.  Yeah sounds like he says that they were trying to go around but the flaps wouldn't retract. 

It's a little hard to hear, but the description from Dan starts at about 9:00.

Those switches get sticky, especially the pre-selector kind.    I had one stick full down on a touch-and-go in a C-172 but we had enough runway to just land again.   A go-around in a C-150 with two people and full flaps would be very tricky.

It’s been 30+ years since I have flown a Cessna 172 with 40° flaps. Never flew in a 150. Just couldn’t fit. But I do remember getting checked out in a 172 that had 40° flap capability and 150 HP. The instructor told me never, ever use the 40° setting. I remember him saying “it’ll bite you one day”.

It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds. And having seen his videos, if he will do a post crash analysis on his own crash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

It will be interesting to see how this story unfolds. And having seen his videos, if he will do a post crash analysis on his own crash.

It will be interesting to see if the post-crash analysis is as ruthless as his recent ones were . . . .

• Like 3

For those unfamiliar, Dan Gryder is a blowhard who often uses the guise of promoting aviation safety to self-aggrandize and advance personal vendettas in his rambling YouTube posts. I doubt his accident knocked any decency or humility into him - it is just another opportunity for self promotion.  Don't feed this troll.

Edited by DXB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

When I was an instructor, I used to remove the slo-blo flap fuse as well as the replacement from C-150s and replace it with regular action. I would usually be able to get the thing to blow on a go around. Then I would wait and see what the student would do. It was an exercise in resource management. The really good students would replace the fuse with one from another socket, cap an all and get the flaps up. The others would struggle, but usually could keep the airplane flying because I made sure we had half tanks to start. But it was an eye opener for all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marauder said:

Those of you who know who Dan Gryder is, you will find this interesting. I’m curious why he had full flaps out. Go around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

According to Juan Brown (Blancolirio) they were either doing STOL work or perhaps landing on a short runway. The flaps would not retract on the go around. Tried resetting the breaker to know avail. Chose to mush into a cornfield at very low speed. Fortunate that Dan was onboard, he’s experienced when it comes to crashing airplanes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DXB said:

For those unfamiliar, Dan Gryder is a blowhard who often uses the guise of promoting aviation safety to self-aggrandize and advance personal vendettas in his rambling YouTube posts. I doubt his accident knocked any decency or humility into him - it is just another opportunity for self promotion.  Don't feed this troll.

I wonder if his tin hat got damaged in the crash or if he will still wear it for the inevitable video. 

• Haha 1

It's why I post videos of the plane landing not a video of me landing the plane.    I figure one day the video will come back to bite me like I could probably edit Dan's video to bite him.   it sure did make the rounds in the aviation community.

Dev - I’m not a big fan of him either. I watched a few of his videos and the ones he was flying with Josh from Aviation 101.

I think this video is more telling of his real intent. It’s clear he is interested in the monetizing aspect of his channel and doesn’t like the negative comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dev - I’m not a big fan of him either. I watched a few of his videos and the ones he was flying with Josh from Aviation 101.

I think this video is more telling of his real intent. It’s clear he is interested in the monetizing aspect of his channel and doesn’t like the negative comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t have anything against him personally,  but I wasn’t happy with one of his videos where he basically disparaged 2-3 other well known YouTubers (one of which he had previously produced content with) by saying they helped stage a crash.  That’s where my tin hat comment was from. 

12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

To avoid feeding the YouTube algorithm, I only watched a few seconds.  There's probably a useful safety lesson here regarding the flaps on a C150 in a go around, but I only felt outrage at his exploiting the tragic demise of all that innocent corn ;)

43 minutes ago, DXB said:

To avoid feeding the YouTube algorithm, I only watched a few seconds.  There's probably a useful safety lesson here regarding the flaps on a C150 in a go around, but I only felt outrage at his exploiting the tragic demise of all that innocent corn ;)

It sounded like he was about to say that he was thinking about the type of corn he wanted to fly the plane into :) 

I know Dan personally. He runs hot and cold and quite frankly has done some things both personally and professionally which have not served him well. He has also done some really great things. I don't like the path he is on right now with "Probable Cause" and if I were to run into him again, I would tell him just that. The NTSB normally does not take cases like this, but his recent criticisms of them have been pretty biting. I'm guessing they are going to yank him around quite a bit. In this business, the line boy can be your chief pilot tomorrow. Low tones often work better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, toto said:

Whoa.  Yeah sounds like he says that they were trying to go around but the flaps wouldn't retract. 

It's a little hard to hear, but the description from Dan starts at about 9:00.

Don't know Dan and this is the first I've heard of him, but this happened to me a few years ago and I wrote about it here at the time. Just as I was about to touch down a Cessna decided to cross the runway from a perpendicular taxiway and the flaps would not retract. It was a harrowing, very sluggish go-around on a hot day but we made it. In the end I believe it was the relay.

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I know Dan personally. He runs hot and cold and quite frankly has done some things both personally and professionally which have not served him well. He has also done some really great things. I don't like the path he is on right now with "Probable Cause" and if I were to run into him again, I would tell him just that. The NTSB normally does not take cases like this, but his recent criticisms of them have been pretty biting. I'm guessing they are going to yank him around quite a bit. In this business, the line boy can be your chief pilot tomorrow. Low tones often work better.

Dan is definitely a “ Legend in his own little bitty fledgeling mind”. I think he is probably very knowledgeable but he sure has a unique approach at getting his message across. It really surprises me as to who some of his supporters are. 

• Like 1

Sums him up pretty well.

In one video he states they were doing a low approach. For the life of me I can’t imagine why you’d have 40* of flaps for that.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nippernaper said:

I wonder how close to gross weight they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a resident expert on overweight people, judging by his pot belly and the size of the owner of the plane, pretty close. If you add in the weight of his ego, they were over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3