Looking for Quality reusable air filters

Don.Tulsa

1 hour ago, Don.Tulsa said:

I have a 1965 Mooney M20E , looking for air and oil filters. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm with you on the air filter.   My dislike for the Brackett is growing.

Why spend what little spare time you might have, washing, drying, and re-oiling an air filter? Especially when it costs you performance? Oiled gauze (K&N, Challenger) air filters are second best in airflow. Brackett (oiled foam) filters are the worst. 

Paper (cellulose media to be correct) are the best performing filter, and require no maintenance. They generally last up to 500 hours or 5 years. This type of filter is used in the worst possible conditions in the mining industry. And NO gauze or oiled foam filters are used there, meaning their claims of superior filtering are, well, incorrect at best.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PT20J said:

Tell me more….

Having dealt with oil-fouled MAF sensors in cars too often due to oiled air filters (e.g., K&N), and having had an in-flight failure of my fuel servo due to contamination, I was putting 2+2 together and noticing where any shed oil from the Brackett goes...derp, right into the ram inlets on the servo.    Then I saw Don Maxwell write a note on FB saying that ideally the oil should be squeezed out of the Brackett's to prevent that, but it isn't allowed.

So now I'm interested in alternatives, but not coming up with much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Having dealt with oil-fouled MAF sensors in cars too often due to oiled air filters (e.g., K&N), and having had an in-flight failure of my fuel servo due to contamination, I was putting 2+2 together and noticing where any shed oil from the Brackett goes...derp, right into the ram inlets on the servo.    Then I saw Don Maxwell write a note on FB saying that ideally the oil should be squeezed out of the Brackett's to prevent that, but it isn't allowed.

So now I'm interested in alternatives, but not coming up with much.

Interesting point. I had mine off to replace the gasket between the air filter box and the plenum and I was surprised at how sticky the inside of the plenum was. I never thought about the servo. I would imagine that all the intake plumbing downstream of the servo would be clean because gasoline is a good solvent. But the impact tubes are exposed.

Skip

1 minute ago, PT20J said:

Interesting point. I had mine off to replace the gasket between the air filter box and the plenum and I was surprised at how sticky the inside of the plenum was. I never thought about the servo. I would imagine that all the intake plumbing downstream of the servo would be clean because gasoline is a good solvent. But the impact tubes are exposed.

Skip

And there's no filter or screen between the impact/ram tubes and the diaphragm.   Any crap that make it in there can't get out.    When mine got rebuilt the shop said that it was "full of grit".   This is why I deleted my ram air inlet, too.    I think in most applications the route to the servo is indirect enough that dust and dirt doesn't make it there, like the rock and dirt trap on King Air turbine inlets, but the ram air inlets kind of foil that.    Without the ram air inlet I'm not worried about dirt, and the oil from the filter is a smaller concern, but still one that could potentially be eliminated with a different filter technology.

• Like 1

Also there is no reason to change the oil filter every time and in fact its a bad idea. While the oil should be changed every 3-6 months the filter only needs every 50-100 hours. If you change the filter every 5-10 hours because you're doing an oil change you aren't allowing enough to be caught in the filter that you can detect it. Also if you've ever pulled a filter at 100 hours unless there is serious engine damage happening you're only finding a few small flecks. If you did that every 5-10 hours you'd never find those pieces.