YOKE MOUNT IPAD ?

I use a 12” iPad and a rubber case that sets on my lap without slipping around.  For IFR I use small plates clipped to the yoke so that I don’t have to look down.  For VFR I don’t mind looking down, so I don’t have anything on the yoke.

My favorite question….

There is no wrong answer…

The question comes up every six months…. The annual iPad product launch….  And about six months later…

Many people use two iPads…

The mini has a lot going for it…

The cellular capable models are the way to get a non-WAAS GPS receiver…

Ram has all the options…. steely balls are quite popular as well…

People often have a back-up plan with their cell phone…. So… a low cost iPad is still very powerful….

Have a way to power them all…. Relying on their internal battery doesn’t last very long…

PP thoughts only, not an i-guru….

I currently use a regular iPad… in kneeboard configuration…

Best regards,

-a-

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=iPad mount&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

I currently use a regular iPad… in kneeboard configuration…

Best regards,

-a-

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=iPad mount&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Have a kneeboard as well.  Used for writing ATIS, clearances, frequencies, etc.  And to safely store and transport the mini when not in its mount.

• Like 1

I have a '62 C and I have a very old iPad mini mounted to the yoke.  Only one that really fits there in my aircraft.  When it dies or can no longer support Foreflight I'll go buy another.

I am still blown away that I'm getting near real time weather and traffic from a piece of consumer electronics that costs a few hundred dollars.

• Like 3

In my 63 C model I have a 10.5 inch iPad pro mounted with a RAM mount to the yoke in portrait, no way it would fit in landscape.  Fits fine.  A mini would be better I suppose but I can see a full approach chart without having to scroll or zoom in or out on it.  Does not block anything on the panel either.  When I need a new one I may switch to a mini just for its smaller compact size.

Mini with RAM mount (portrait position). Get a WHITE one, This proved very helpful in the summer - even though it's just the frame, it's less area to overheat. Also, bring the brightness down a bit and I put a sheet of white paper between the mount and the ipad to minimize heat.

As most people my phone is my primary backup but on long trips I carry my wife's ipad (big one) too.

• Like 1

+1 on the Mini in portrait mode.

@Ricky_231 has the right idea about controlling temperature rise of the Mini.  I have also found that my Stratus 2 overheats on the glare shield unless I put a piece of white paper over it, with a 1/2 inch air gap above the top surface of the Stratus.

As anyone who has parked on the transient ramp on a sunny summer day in Florida soon learns, you have to put the iPad and Stratus on the floor (I put them in the passenger's footwell) or you will be waiting a quite a while for everything to cool down enough to start up.

3 hours ago, Ricky_231 said:

As most people my phone is my primary backup but on long trips I carry my wife's ipad (big one) too.

I made the mistake of buying a big iPad wthout the cellular (and good GPS chip).  If I takeoff with the thing on and in Foreflight it works great.  If I try and turn in on midstream it doesn't work at all.

34 minutes ago, steingar said:

I made the mistake of buying a big iPad wthout the cellular (and good GPS chip).  If I takeoff with the thing on and in Foreflight it works great.  If I try and turn in on midstream it doesn't work at all.

Where is it getting location data from? I got mine paired with the 430W w/ Flighstream and have a backup stratux that sits in the backseat just in case. But the mini has cell/GPS chip. The big ipad doesn't.

+1 for clipboard to write clearances and in flight notes…

I practiced writing this info on my most recent iPad….  Close, but not quite what I need…

Much better than the older iPads, probably need an iPad Pro to make use out of the ipencil thing….

I’m still using WingX…

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, Ricky_231 said:

Where is it getting location data from? I got mine paired with the 430W w/ Flighstream and have a backup stratux that sits in the backseat just in case. But the mini has cell/GPS chip. The big ipad doesn't.

It should be getting data from the Stratus, itself hooked up to the ADSB transponder.  I will check the wifi connection though, it could have gone amiss.

I have my mini on the yoke in landscape mode and like it. I just got the newer generation that allows the use of the apply pen for writing down clearances and notes. I tried to get a larger iPad mounted in that area but it just seemed in the way. 

20210219_140909.thumb.jpg.2a1ad951753c93d78211fed44967beb5.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Feature Request in with ForeFlight, maybe you can do the same with Pilot.  I've asked them to create a TRUE Landscape View where all the data fields like your notes, Routes, Airport Info, etc. off to the side and not over the Map like it is in the regular Portrait View.  I don't need all the extra Map space on both sides and still have various other boxes come out of the top or bottom.  I'd rather have the Map slid over and put all the other stuff on the side.

Any FF users, feel feel free to email in this Feature Request to give it more votes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimB said:

I have my mini on the yoke in landscape mode and like it. I just got the newer generation that allows the use of the apply pen for writing down clearances and notes. I tried to get a larger iPad mounted in that area but it just seemed in the way. 

I bought the pen as well but found 2 major problems with it:

1. I NEVER remember to charge it, so every time I reach for it it's dead

2. i find it really hard to copy clearances with it - something about the position of the ipad and how slippery the screen is. I tried a few times and reverted to pencil and a little notepad

Just now, Ricky_231 said:

I bought the pen as well but found 2 major problems with it:

2. i find it really hard to copy clearances with it - something about the position of the ipad and how slippery the screen is. I tried a few times and reverted to pencil and a little notepad

It seems mine is never charged either. :blink: I don't mind writing with it, but in all honesty you are right. A notepad and pencil/pen is really easier. 

Anyone have success using the Apple pen?

What are you using it with hardware / software?

Some issues…

1) Dead battery seams to be pretty common…

2) Older iPads are too slow compared to the pen speed…

3) Apps not up to the task of using the pen…

4) 

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, Ricky_231 said:

FYI....  You can get a non powered stylus that does the same thing. 

Apple Pencil is great if you're an artist or using some other App where the pencil pressure or other functions make a difference.  But for just drawing lines or writing text, there's no need for an actual pencil.  Some stylus glide a little easier than others across the screen, so be sure to read the description & reviews for writing vs one that's better for just tapping.

• Like 1