How Much to add SVT to a G1000?

ScubaMan

I went to a Garmin sponsored seminar tonight at Executive AutoPilots and the Garmin representative discussed Synthetic Vision Technology on the Garmin products. My G1000 does not have this add on and I'd like to consider the upgrade.

First.... Does anyone know what this upgrade costs?

Second.... Are there any G1000 equipped Mooney drivers out there with it and do you like it?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Mike Johnson

'07 Mooney Ovation 3

I have it.  I like it, although I don't know how substantially it affects my flying behavior.  If nothing else, it's comforting to see the terrain ahead when flying at night. Were it not for the moving map on the MFD, it would be far more attention getting, for me.

Mine came with SVT, and so unfortunately I've no idea of the incremental cost.  Given that it's Garmin: probably a lot.

Speaking strictly for myself, if it was a $2500 upgrade, I'd certainly get it. $10,000? Not a chance.

Quote: ScubaMan

I went to a Garmin sponsored seminar tonight at Executive AutoPilots and the Garmin representative discussed Synthetic Vision Technology on the Garmin products. My G1000 does not have this add on and I'd like to consider the upgrade.

Second.... Are there any G1000 equipped Mooney drivers out there with it and do you like it?

Mike Johnson

'07 Mooney Ovation 3

Quote: ScubaMan

Mike Johnson

'07 Mooney Ovation 3

I have SVT on my G1000 and I find it most useful while flying approaches in IMC because of the airport/runway depiction. Pretty slick, in my opinion, to actually "see" the runway while you're flying the approach. En route I'm usually so high that it adds no value. I think the price is in the $10-$15K range.

• Like 2

Even with SVT you need to be in view of the runway for a CAT-I approach. Otherwise you would not know if there is an obstruction on the runway like the event in the Canaries 1977. CAT-III approaches with zero visibility are flown with special autopilots and equipment on airports with ground surveillance equipment. EVS (Enhanced Vision Systems) is the only one that allows below CAT-I visibility approaches. With EVS you can see obstructions on the runway that you would not normally see with your eyes.Check

José

Mike,

I fly two G1000 equipped airplanes. The Mooney has SVT and the TBM does not. When flying the Mooney, I notice it, but it changes nothing. When flying the TBM I forget that it isn't even there.

All of which means that it is pretty but of questionable value. I would not have bought it on my own, but the Mooney was used and came with SVT installed.

Wait...there is SVT (Garmin software-Synthetic Vision Technology..the subject of the original query), then I tossed in ESV (Electronic Synthetic Vision from Aspen), then Jose' has chimed in with EVS-100, a FLIR type infrared system. The first two are software, the latter is a seeing eye. 2 different things. To answer the original question, SVT for the Garmin is around a $4k add on. I understand it to be a software upgrade, not an unlock.

Thanks for all the great feedback. The Garmin rep referred me to Mooney for pricing and I'm waiting to hear back. SVT sounds pretty cool and something else fun to play with on the G1000 if it can be had for 3K to 4K but probably not worth it if it's 10K + to me.......

Mike

SVT on my G500 was $4500 which was nothing more than an SD chip that unlocks the software.  I got SVT as an early adopter, maybe the price has come down.  This is one of those things that is in the "you don't need it but you want it" category.  You can fly fine without it.  But on a heavy IMC day, all kidding aside, its nice to know that the PFD shows where the runway is.  It gives you one extra cross check.

Quote: Daniel

Mike,

I fly two G1000 equipped airplanes. The Mooney has SVT and the TBM does not. When flying the Mooney, I notice it, but it changes nothing. When flying the TBM I forget that it isn't even there.

All of which means that it is pretty but of questionable value. I would not have bought it on my own, but the Mooney was used and came with SVT installed.

• 4 years later...

To update this topic "How Much to add SVT to a G1000?" I was just quoted $15K (thought Mooney- not Garmin) for the "code" to unlock the G1000, enabling SVT. There may also be other incidental cost depending on your personal g1000 set up...perhaps another $1-2K. BTW, G500 cost for SVT-$5K. I wish I understood why the high cost and disparity between the two Garmin units. My guess is the two markets are very different. Those with G1000 are over a barrel and Mooney knows it. The G500 market has competition.

I purchased SVT when it was available for my Bravo around $12,000 and in my opinion worth every penny. I've practiced approaches with the hood on to almost zero/zero and each time put it on the numbers, this was with a CFI along. If I had no other choices after the experience and practice I'd would not think twice about utilizing the SVT in an emergency. It's something you don't miss until it's gone, by the posts we all have differing opinions. 

Edited by Danb

On October 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM, carusoam said:

I'm going to need an IR sensor for my iPad....

Available now $250:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Seek-Thermal-Imaging-Camera-XR-Extended-Range-for-iPhone-iOS-LT-AAA-/271969846532?hash=item3f52aa8504:g:FygAAOSwBahVAcah

Or for better resolution 

http://therm-app.com/therm-app/

Edited by Jerry 5TJ
More
  • Like 1

At the MAPA PPP recently, with CFII in the right seat, I practiced a 0-0 departure.  Using Synthetic Vision on the G500 I taxied out, held short, lined up and departed using only SVT.  Worked fine, I stayed within a few feet of the taxi and runway center lines. So he said; I saw nothing outside  

If the weather is REALLY that bad I think I'll stay in bed. 

Edited by Jerry 5TJ
fix a few things

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

At the MAPA PPP recently, with CFII in the right seat, I practiced a 0-0 departure.  Using Synthetic Vision on the G500 I taxied out, held short, lined up and departed using only SVT.  Worked fine, I stayed within a few feet of the taxi and runway center lines. So he said; I saw nothing outside  

If the weather is REALLY that bad I think I'll stay in bed. 

Jerry, must be contagious my first practice of  zero landings was at a MAPA PPP also, may have been the same guy.