Second Landing Light STC for aircraft with Oil Cooler Relocation?

Hi,

New member here, in the process of closing on an Aerostar E model that has had the oil cooler relocation mod. I saw on facebook someone who had an F model with 2 landing lights who also had the oil cooler relocation mod but he was unable to provide any useful information on it. Anyone have any information on this mod or have it on their vintage Mooney?

1 minute ago, Culver LFA said:

Lasar STC SA2513NM allowed the installation of a 2nd light with relocation of the oil cooler.  I inquired about it a little over a year ago and was told they are no longer offering this.   Bob’s E has this and I liked his idea of a spot and a flood led

So the airplane I am closing on already has the STC for the oil relocation but just has a solid plate closing out the old hole. Are they not offering the part or the STC in general?

12 minutes ago, AerostarDriver said:

So the airplane I am closing on already has the STC for the oil relocation but just has a solid plate closing out the old hole. Are they not offering the part or the STC in general?

I found the email response on the landing light STC from Dan at Lasar, it was 7/23/2018:

Joe, at this time all we can offer is the STC’d kit relocating the oil cooler. Kit is in stock. Please call to order

800-954-5619

LASAR Parts

I like the ‘at this time’ possibility, maybe things have changed since so I would give them a call and inquire.

5 hours ago, Culver LFA said:

I found the email response on the landing light STC from Dan at Lasar, it was 7/23/2018:

Joe, at this time all we can offer is the STC’d kit relocating the oil cooler. Kit is in stock. Please call to order

800-954-5619

LASAR Parts

I like the ‘at this time’ possibility, maybe things have changed since so I would give them a call and inquire.

I will give them a call. If I can find someone who can send me some pictures and dimensions it doesn't look like a hard part to make and the safety case for adding another light shouldn't make it that hard if I have to go the 337 route. 

Some LED PAR46 lights have diffusive gratings over some of the individual LEDs that cast light about the near field, making night taxi operations much safer.  Compared to the sealed beam incandescent blasting photons 8-degrees upwards, these LED bulbs are a vast safety improvement that essentially remove the need for a separate taxi bulb.  My 2-cents worth.

We have a couple of resources around here...

1) there is a guy who sells Whelen lights that may be helpful... 

2) there is another MSer that is collecting old STCs and adding life back into them...

3) calling Dan at Lasar is always a good idea...

Best regards,

-a-

I talked to lasar and they "have never offered a second landing or taxi light with the oil relocation kit" but I was able to locate this post where lasar has offered the install of 2 landing lights and the oil cooler relocation kit.

@0TreeLemur I really am looking for a second landing light for the redundancy, additional light and my desire to use them as wig-wag lights.

@carusoam I bought my strobes from him, his prices where about 10% cheaper then anywhere else. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Wonder how well Wig-Wag works, when mounted so close together..?

Wonderfully?

That was easier to write than to say out loud...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

I did a fare bit of my early flying down in south Georgia, a number of Ag operators had wig-wag on the nose lights of the AT-802s they flew. A few times I found myself only seeing them because of the nose wig-wag lights. I also fly very often around the ATL class bravo, I will do just about anything to be more visible. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The second landing light sounds like a win....although I hear LASAR is not offering that anymore.

What oil cooling efficiencies do you gain with the relocation?

Does the relocation also increase or enhance airflow/cooling in pre-J models resulting in lower CHTs during climb or more uniform CHTs?

Just curious as to the benefits compared to the cost if the second landing light is out?

The landing lights are not required devices in our planes, and the FAA allows us to do anything on that circuit we want under preventive  maintenance.  Also with the enhanced safety program the FAA is pushing maybe an STC is not needed only the correct owner provided parts to make it happen??

Minor modification rules as well may apply.