Probe or problem?

flyboy0681

50° F EGT oscillations that quickly...?

unlikely without a valve doing something funny.

so swap the probe wires first...

Then look up sawtooth EGT patterns at Saavy...

post your EGT graph here and load it into Saavy for pro advice...

if the pattern is regular and sawtoothed, not randomly all over the place...

expect sending a camera down the spark plug hole to gaze at the exhaust valve...

Gazing will indicate a pizza looking design or something less appetizing...

Check with paul... if I could remember his screen name @p....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Happened to me before, and was a sensor/connector problem.

One question I have: If one of the cylinders really goes "cold", wouldn't your engine run rough? In my case, everything else worked and felt exactly the same, performance was the same, and I still got CHT readings (but no EGT). If one cylinder really goes, I would expect a great deal of imbalance, wouldn't I?

If a 50° EGT oscillation was really happening...

it could be as simple as a spark plug being failed. Then coming back on line... and then failing again...

Each time the plug would fail... the corresponding EGT would rise. Similar to doing a run-up, but only for one cylinder...

Interesting point... check the spark plugs in that cylinder for any signs of the word champion being printed on it anywhere or in the log books... :)

The ever increasing resistance in Champion spark plugs doesn’t usually oscillate...

As far as loose wires goes... a loose spark plug wire would be kind of unique. But could cause a similar dead plug situation...

Now... could you, would you, feel it... probably... you would sense a strange minor change in the engine output and you would look at the jpi for confirmation...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-