JPI EDM Rebates 10/1/17-1/31/18

Skates97

I've been looking at putting in an engine monitor and was looking at the Insight G2 or EDM830. Wondering if there would be any rebates coming up I searched and came up with this from JPI's site. It is not showing up yet on Aircraft Spruce's site. I think I might end up going with the EDM830.

https://www.jpinstruments.com/rebate-specials/

10-17-rebate_sm.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, teejayevans said:

What did you do with the extra probes?

Shop took care of all of it..I had a lot of other work done so they kept the old unit and hardware and applied $ toward my bill.

-Tom

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2017 at 4:36 PM, Skates97 said:

I've been looking at putting in an engine monitor and was looking at the Insight G2 or EDM830. Wondering if there would be any rebates coming up I searched and came up with this from JPI's site. It is not showing up yet on Aircraft Spruce's site. I think I might end up going with the EDM830.

https://www.jpinstruments.com/rebate-specials/

Richard,

If, in the future, you are thinking to move to a 900, would you consider getting it now and just not removing your current gauges? Even if you do not connect fuel tanks, but have the option for doing so in the future, it might be worth thinking about.

I have come to the realization I should have gone with the 900 when I went from the 800 to the 830. In talking with JPI at the time, I was told I would need new probes to go to the 900, so I went to the 830 without giving it much thought. Now, if I move up to the 900, I will either have to do the full replacement including probe replacement or get the 830 to 900 upgrade I see on Aircraft Spruce (something not available when I got my 830). Either way, it would have been less costly in the long run to just bit the bullet on the first upgrade.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Richard,

If, in the future, you are thinking to move to a 900, would you consider getting it now and just not removing your current gauges? Even if you do not connect fuel tanks, but have the option for doing so in the future, it might be worth thinking about.

I have come to the realization I should have gone with the 900 when I went from the 800 to the 830. In talking with JPI at the time, I was told I would need new probes to go to the 900, so I went to the 830 without giving it much thought. Now, if I move up to the 900, I will either have to do the full replacement including probe replacement or get the 830 to 900 upgrade I see on Aircraft Spruce (something not available when I got my 830). Either way, it would have been less costly in the long run to just bit the bullet on the first upgrade.

Just a thought.

I'm just a newbie to the engine monitor scene, but maybe you can all help me out. From what I understand the big difference in the 830 and 930 is that I can remove the primary instruments if I put in the 930. I have a lot of space in my panel so I'm not looking to remove instruments. If I was then I may consider the extra cost of the 930 more seriously. This is an old shot of my panel from when I purchased the plane last year. My primary instruments are really in good shape so I don't really feel the need to spend the extra to pull them.

59dc38352d0cc_PanelPhoto.thumb.jpg.6ceada06d514a1fac20a7ebf61945313.jpg

The garmin on the yoke has been replaced by my tablet. The ADF and Loran have been removed from the radio stack leaving plenty of room for something else there, maybe a better #1 Nav/Com and relegate the #1 to #2 status. That would then have me removing the current #2 Nav/Com (which does not have very good reception) that is to the right of the VSI. The non-functioning compass in the top left has been removed and the Sensorcon CO monitor is currently velcroed there. I was thinking that with the 830 I could remove the EC-1 on the far left and put it in portrait mode where the EC-1 and compass used to be. Money that I would spend extra to put in a 930 could be spent instead on a different #1 Nav/Com and then I would be set and ready to start IFR work possibly next Spring.

The 930 is a couple thousand more than the 900 and also quite a bit larger. I think the ec-1 is a smaller opening 2 1/4 vs 3 1/8 that the 830 requires. The big advantage to the primary units is that it brings everything together. However, I find the 830 provides everything thing I need for setting power, learning the engine, keeping track of fuel burn, and monitoring for problems. I do glance at the primary instruments but only after each reading is observed/set via the JPI. 

3 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The 930 is a couple thousand more than the 900 and also quite a bit larger. I think the ec-1 is a smaller opening 2 1/4 vs 3 1/8 that the 830 requires. The big advantage to the primary units is that it brings everything together. However, I find the 830 provides everything thing I need for setting power, learning the engine, keeping track of fuel burn, and monitoring for problems. I do glance at the primary instruments but only after each reading is observed/set via the JPI. 

My mistake, I meant 900. But still the 900 would run me $1,300-1,400 more than the 830. Yes the EC-1 is a 2 1/4 and the 830 would require that to be changed to a 3 1/8 opening. There is room there in the panel as well as behind the panel. That was my thought with the 830, save some money, keep my primary instruments that are still in good condition, and have the benefits of a good monitor.

I’m not sure it will fit on the left side. The display is fairly large. Here is a picture of mine to give you a size comparison next to the cdi  (I’d recommend taking out the nav 2, dropping down the cdi, and putting the 830 above it). A2BB19FE-B1A4-4B69-9D2F-A38C4E00D33B.thumb.jpeg.21a365ec053fc1b511f356218fadbd3e.jpeg

Edit: on second thought probably mounting it where your current nav 2 resides is the best spot. Mounted with the button on the top. 

9 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Edit: on second thought probably mounting it where your current nav 2 resides is the best spot. Mounted with the button on the top. 

I'll have to measure the next time I'm out to see if it would fit there without hanging past the bottom of the panel.

I have the 830 and purchased it with a $500 rebate a few years ago.  At times, I had remorse from not getting the 900 or 930.   Other times, I like having redundant gauges.  For me, fuel senders and fuel level gauges don't matter much, as I dip and calculate rather than trust gauges.   The cost difference was $1k, but I think the install cost would have possibly doubled.  You'll probably be happy either way. ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skates97 said:

The garmin on the yoke has been replaced by my tablet. The ADF and Loran have been removed from the radio stack leaving plenty of room for something else there, maybe a better #1 Nav/Com and relegate the #1 to #2 status. That would then have me removing the current #2 Nav/Com (which does not have very good reception) that is to the right of the VSI. The non-functioning compass in the top left has been removed and the Sensorcon CO monitor is currently velcroed there. I was thinking that with the 830 I could remove the EC-1 on the far left and put it in portrait mode where the EC-1 and compass used to be. Money that I would spend extra to put in a 930 could be spent instead on a different #1 Nav/Com and then I would be set and ready to start IFR work possibly next Spring.

15 hours ago, Skates97 said:

My mistake, I meant 900. But still the 900 would run me $1,300-1,400 more than the 830. Yes the EC-1 is a 2 1/4 and the 830 would require that to be changed to a 3 1/8 opening. There is room there in the panel as well as behind the panel. That was my thought with the 830, save some money, keep my primary instruments that are still in good condition, and have the benefits of a good monitor.

If the 830 can fit on the left side of your panel, it would be a great location, but I am afraid the width may be a bit too much. Measuring it will give you an answer.

I would hesitate to put it in your current #2 NAV/COM spot. A new #2 radio in your center stack will likely need a CDI, and the current #2 spot looks to be the winner for it. You can put the 830 on the right side above your current instruments, and the benefit would be a quick verification if you see something you do not like on either the 830 or your original gauges.

But where ever you put it, having the additional instrumentation will give you a good shot at running your engine for a longer time, and that means more time in the air!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

If the 830 can fit on the left side of your panel, it would be a great location, but I am afraid the width may be a bit too much. Measuring it will give you an answer.

I would hesitate to put it in your current #2 NAV/COM spot. A new #2 radio in your center stack will likely need a CDI, and the current #2 spot looks to be the winner for it. You can put the 830 on the right side above your current instruments, and the benefit would be a quick verification if you see something you do not like on either the 830 or your original gauges.

But where ever you put it, having the additional instrumentation will give you a good shot at running your engine for a longer time, and that means more time in the air!

I just used a tape measure to check the space on the left and it looked like it would fit. I need to actually print off the template to make sure.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/730_layout.pdf

My thoughts of putting it on the left side was partially because I have my current EC-1 there so I am used to looking over there, and partially because depending on what I put in as a second nav radio the spot for the #2 looks perfect for a CDI like you said. A topic for a different thread (I'll start one later so this doesn't get more sidetracked) is how many people are flying IFR with a couple VOR's with an ILS and using a tablet as backup for situational awareness. I know the trend is GPS in the panel, but if I was doing my IFR at the same school I did my PPL their planes have dual KX-155's or 165's with glideslope and localizer.

9 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I just used a tape measure to check the space on the left and it looked like it would fit. I need to actually print off the template to make sure.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/730_layout.pdf

My thoughts of putting it on the left side was partially because I have my current EC-1 there so I am used to looking over there, and partially because depending on what I put in as a second nav radio the spot for the #2 looks perfect for a CDI like you said. A topic for a different thread (I'll start one later so this doesn't get more sidetracked) is how many people are flying IFR with a couple VOR's with an ILS and using a tablet as backup for situational awareness. I know the trend is GPS in the panel, but if I was doing my IFR at the same school I did my PPL their planes have dual KX-155's or 165's with glideslope and localizer.

<off thread>I like my 165 a lot. For instrument training, the ability to see the VOR radial displayed in the stand-by NAV frequency area is nice.

<on thread> Are you thinking you will install it buttons up or down? I am trying to visualize how you would mount it with the minimal amount of cutting and not run into the frame on the left side of the panel.

If you are thinking about not putting in a gps/nav/com to save money I would definitely put in a cheap used 700 system in the ec-1 spot and save every penny for a more important upgrade. A jpi 900 would get you half way to a waas setup that would actually add value / capability to the plane. 

Or buy a used 730 off of AeroDon.  When you’re ready for an 830 add a probe here or there at annual.  If you want a 900 purchase a unit - verify that the PNs of your current probes are correct  to satisfy the STC (they will be), and sell the new probes and screen that came with the unit as a used 830 system.  The big labor extras for the 900 relate to fuel senders. 

I like the mechanical gauges in that they’ll work if I lose power.  I like the idea of minimizing the number of fuel lines near sparky stuff even more.  If I do a 900 and I lose my alternator in flight I’m landing with throttle mixture and engine noise ... that’s ok

On 10/10/2017 at 3:00 PM, MIm20c said:

If you are thinking about not putting in a gps/nav/com to save money I would definitely put in a cheap used 700 system in the ec-1 spot and save every penny for a more important upgrade. A jpi 900 would get you half way to a waas setup that would actually add value / capability to the plane. 

Still not settled on pursuing an IFR, just thinking about it. I've gotten in about 130 hours of flying the Mooney this year, almost all of it cross country from So Cal to Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Idaho. Haven't scrubbed a cross country trip yet for weather, although I have changed departure times to adjust for weather. The IFR would be nice to have gotten on top of a layer on one trip and flown at 10,500' instead of 8,500'. Also a few times where I had to deviate slightly to get around an overcast before getting to clear skies where I could climb to my cruise altitude. Other than that it's just wanting to be able to fly through the patchy clouds and maybe up/down through the marine layer out here.

So, while I know I would get immediate use out of the engine monitor, having an IFR capable GPS in the panel is something I may at some point want. The monitor would be going in now, the Nav/Com/GPS would be later if/when I go after the IFR.

On 10/10/2017 at 2:28 PM, Oldguy said:

<off thread>I like my 165 a lot. For instrument training, the ability to see the VOR radial displayed in the stand-by NAV frequency area is nice.

<on thread> Are you thinking you will install it buttons up or down? I am trying to visualize how you would mount it with the minimal amount of cutting and not run into the frame on the left side of the panel.

If it went on the left side of the panel I think it would have to go buttons on top. If I am remembering from when I took out that old compass there isn't enough room at the top behind the panel to put it with the buttons on the bottom. That will require more investigation.

• Like 2

There are really only three engine monitors worth buying.

• Best Cheap option - Insight G2
  • Primary for everything - JPI EDM 900
  • Best money can buy - EI MVP-50

I've had the G2 and the EDM-900. Everyone who's ever flown in my plane would agree with the above assessment.

If I had the $$$$ for a Bravo like @donkaye I'd have an MVP-50 like he does.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the 900 can reuse the 830s wiring harness? Did they just add the extra sensors to existing D connector or hopefully a separate one?

Yes it will use the 830 probes and wiring.
http://m.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/jpinstruments_scanners_edm900/jpi900upgrade.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk