New Mooneys, any interest at all?

11 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You missed the point. Even though you never have and never will buy a part from the Mooney factory, the fact that they produce parts eases demand of used parts which you will at some point buy.

Dude, it is you that is missing my point...

12 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You missed the point. Even though you never have and never will buy a part from the Mooney factory, the fact that they produce parts eases demand of used parts which you will at some point buy.

Their are hundreds of 1960's airframes with salvage parts available for purchase.  There are those that make custom parts and sell them as well as putting them on their planes.  I will at NO POINT buy a part from Mooney that could not be found and purchased for less elsewhere.  I don't fly an M.  I fly a Vintage E.  Stop selling me man.  My opinion has ten plus years of experience in being developed.  You act like you are taking it personally...

STOP with the "You will" mantra.

I WON'T...

and that is O.K...

I'm putting a new panel in my 252 and it needs paint. I wanted to match the original paint as close as possible. It was nice to call the factory and talk to Paul. He was able to look up the paint code for my panel based on the serial number of my plane. 

Just good service from the good folks in Kerrville, Texas.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, My Name is Nobody, My Common Sense is Nonexistant said:

Dude it is you that is missing my point. . . 

You're right - it would be a much better place if there was no Mooney factory. People are much more apt to buy your airplane when you go to sell it when the parent company doesn't exist any longer. How could I have missed that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm putting a new panel in my 252 and it needs paint. I wanted to match the original paint as close as possible. It was nice to call the factory and talk to Paul. He was able to look up the paint code for my panel based on the serial number of my plane. 

Just good service from the good folks in Kerrville, Texas.

That is nice.  My plane had a hideous genuine simulated replica of wood facia that I first painted.  Second I found a used aftermarket plastic grey version.  Then I had Hendricks and my local avionics crew fabricate the pilot and co-pilot panel.  Rattle canned in a lighter BETTER than original appearance color.

2 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

That is nice.  My plane had a hideous genuine simulated replica of wood facia that I first painted.  Second I found a used aftermarket plastic grey version.  Then I had Hendricks and my local avionics crew fabricate the pilot and co-pilot panel.  Rattle canned in a lighter BETTER than original appearance color.

Yep, my panel is an "owner produced part" as well. But as I'm not changing out the interior, I wanted to stay close to the same color. Whites are difficult to match as they all have a little bit of other color in them. And if you choose a white that has a little green, when you should have picked a white with a little blue, it will go the wrong direction.  So it was nice to get the exact paint code and go from there to a color I was happy with.

• Like 2

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

You're right - it would be a much better place if there was no Mooney factory. People are much more apt to buy your airplane when you go to sell it when the parent company doesn't exist any longer. How could I have missed that?

Seriously, do you read my other posts on this thread.  I hope Mooney survives and builds great planes for a long time.  That said they are NOT "into" the support of the vintage fleet at a price point that I find attractive.  That is O.K. The vintage fleet has plenty of parts from salvaged airframes.

You need to chill man.  You are picking a fight and finding offense where there is none.  R.E.L.A.X.

Mooney doesn't build or support my 1966 M20E they have moved on and build planes you and others like to fly.  To bad there are not more wealthy persons that choose to support the purchase of a $750k Mooney airplane.  Maybe you need to talk to your friends...

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Yep, my panel is an "owner produced part" as well. But as I'm not changing out the interior, I wanted to stay close to the same color. Whites are difficult to match as they all have a little bit of other color in them. And if you choose a white that has a little green, when you should have picked a white with a little blue, it will go the wrong direction.  So it was nice to get the exact paint code and go from there to a color I was happy with.

Glad they are there for you Paul.  I mean that...

My A&P/IA is a MSC. He's getting parts from Mooney regularly including a few now and then for my '66E.

• The factory manufactured to order the Main Gear Walking Beams, both sides at my last annual. The price was very reasonable and it did not take long to get them.
  • There was an AD about 5 years ago (2012-05-09) that grounded all Mooneys until the empennage attachment was inspected for missing or wrongly positioned spacers. Even though the company consisted of 8(?) people at the time, we received prompt technical advice from Kerrville, with some assistance from Longview, and the parts needed to do the repair were shipped immediately at very little cost.   
  • Like 2

Seriously, do you read my other posts on this thread.  I hope Mooney survives and builds great planes for a long time.  That said they are NOT "into" the support of the vintage fleet at a price point that I find attractive.  That is O.K. The vintage fleet has plenty of parts from salvaged airframes.
You need to chill man.  You are picking a fight and finding offense where there is none.  R.E.L.A.X.
Mooney doesn't build or support my 1966 M20E they have moved on and build planes you and others like to fly.  To bad there are not more wealthy persons that choose to support the purchase of a $750k Mooney airplane.  Maybe you need to talk to your friends...

When I couldn't get my panel lighting rheostat working, Mooney happily provided schematics for the circuit board to my avionics shop rather than sell me an expensive new part. The charge? Zero.

Then my annunciator panel was shorting somehow. How did my shop find it so fast? Called Mooney for a schematic and fixed it in an hour. Charge? Zero.

Factory support is worth a lot even if you never buy a part...

• Like 2

Just now, gsengle said:

When I couldn't get my panel lighting rheostat working, Mooney happily provided schematics for the circuit board to my avionics shop rather than sell me an expensive new part. The charge? Zero.

Then my annunciator panel was shorting somehow. How did my shop find it so fast? Called Mooney for a schematic and fixed it in an hour. Charge? Zero.

Factory support is worth a lot even if you never buy a part...

I have used Brittain extensively to refurbish and provide installation for older 1960's systems support.  My vintage Mooney has The OEM speedo that I have sent in for refurbishment.  Fuel Gage's are OEM.  Gear indicators OEM.  Rest of the panel is updated and customized.  

Mooney help for a Modern Mooney?  YES.

For a vintage Mooney?  Not so much.  

They did help the FAA ground a vintage bird on a ramp check because of some hanger rash though.  They help vintage owners in interesting ways...

48 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

IMG_0962.JPG

Just now, MyNameIsNobody said:

I have used Brittain extensively to refurbish and provide installation for older 1960's systems support.  My vintage Mooney has The OEM speedo that I have sent in for refurbishment.  Fuel Gage's are OEM.  Gear indicators OEM.  Rest of the panel is updated and customized.  

Mooney help for a Modern Mooney?  YES.

For a vintage Mooney?  Not so much.  

They did help the FAA ground a vintage bird on a ramp check because of some hanger rash though.  They help vintage owners in interesting ways...

Not my experience at all. We visited the factory last year, tour could not have been better if I'd had an Acclaim parked on their ramp instead of my 50 year old E. Tom Bowen was conducting some of the tour and Mikey Miles, chief test pilot, took us to lunch. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Not my experience at all. We visited the factory last year, tour could not have been better if I'd had an Acclaim parked on their ramp instead of my 50 year old E. Tom Bowen was conducting some of the tour and Mikey Miles, chief test pilot, took us to lunch. 

Are we talking about being a good host and tour guide or talking about support for vintage vs. modern fleet.  My plane has not been manufactured for over 50 years.  Your example of the "fleetwide" AD that required hardware...bolts to "fix" for a reasonable price is fine.  It impacted ALL the fleet NOT just vintage birds.  I have a different expectation for support of modern automobiles and motorcycles.  I don't think Ford and Chevy are the "go to" for vintage and antique parts replacement either.  Nice to have them in business?  Yes.  

Just now, MyNameIsNobody said:

Are we talking about being a good host and tour guide or talking about support for vintage vs. modern fleet.  My plane has not been manufactured for over 50 years.  Your example of the "fleetwide" AD that required hardware...bolts to "fix" for a reasonable price is fine.  It impacted ALL the fleet NOT just vintage birds.  I have a different expectation for support of modern automobiles and motorcycles.  I don't think Ford and Chevy are the "go to" for vintage and antique parts replacement either.  Nice to have them in business?  Yes.  

Whatever

• Like 1

A couple of years ago as a new 1964 M20C owner, I was grounded by one of the little spring mounts that holds on the exhaust pipe. I called the factory and they FedEx'd two of them that day. Another time when I bumped a hanger door and broke the lens off my fancy J-style swooped wing tip. I called the factory and after talking to a couple of people, they found me one. I asked them to hold it for me and flew to Kerrville and picked it up.

This was for a 1964 M20C. They were happy to come out and take a good look at it when I flew over there to pick up the part.

• Like 3

5907e3be79291_ScreenShot2017-05-01at8_36_35PM.thumb.png.8519bfa84e60f7028df6fb5b7caef54a.png

I am definitely old enough to know better. (Don Kaye mentioned on another thread that he was coming up on 50 years of flying. I'm a few months behind him, first logged flight 1/20/69, first in Mooney 9/2/69.)

• Like 1

5907e3be79291_ScreenShot2017-05-01at8_36_35PM.thumb.png.8519bfa84e60f7028df6fb5b7caef54a.png

Or an ass.  They will kick you when you aren't looking and they are stubborn.  Some of you fly modern airframes.  A couple have examples of support for vintage owners.  Again, Glad they are there making $750k airframes that I will never own.  Glad some are having success with support.  I have not needed them.  I do not foresee needing them...for anything.  Not holding my breath for that "opportunity" for them to shine for me.

Here is what I have to add. I dealt with Mooney on some parts when I was restoring my old Bravo. While it took some sweet time to get them here, the parts were not expensive, at least not by aviation standards. I have also found that dealing with Piper on my Arrow. I cannot say that about Cessna. Dealing with them right now on a nose strut I dinged. I've come to the conclusion that if one were to built a 206 using the parts catalog, one would be better off buying a brand spanking new 737MAX, you'd get it built quicker and it would probably be cheaper. Unfortunately not too many landing gear pieces at salvage yards. Cessna is really proud of their parts. Hope Mooney stays in business and calls me for advice. I'd tell them to bump up the gross weight and put on a chute. They'd have a winner.

Edited by AndyFromCB
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

5 minutes ago, My Name is Nobody, My Common Sense is Nonexistant said:

Maybe I will go over to the Mooney Website and peruse all the advertising for vintage parts support...

http://www.mooney.com/en/pdf/Retrofit_Kits.pdf

Do you actually read the thread you attached?  I think not.  Look at the entry's for M20E Mr. Common sense wizard.  Show me one item that is not "check availability".  The stocked items are for more modern aircraft.  Read through and find me one item of value Mr Common sense purveyor of wisdom....

How about a replacement control wheel and shaft?  Oh, got one of those from Bass Aviation at salvage price along with seats and interior for $200 bucks.

How about converting to electric gear and flaps?  How about NOT.

How about an external power port.  Not available for less on Aircraft Spruce or any number of other vendors.

You try and be wise and make my point...

Funny, your common sense is neither common nor does it make sense, but there are loads of Modern wealthy Mooney pilots that can't get others to buy "their brand".  Why is that?  Is it this lowly 50 year old owner the problem of Mooney's lack of success in the two or three or more bankruptcy Phoenix company?  I don't run in the circles that buy "New" Mooney's.  Wouldn't buy one if I did because they are like all new airplanes tremendously overpriced.  THAT is the problem, but please do continue to siren call to Mooney's defense.  Roll your brand loyalty to a fault my way because I dare to state a fact based on my experience and practice as a vintage owner for 15 years.

Funny Ha Ha AND Funny Strange.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Hey, Scott. You know me, man. We've both been here a long time. And I've been a vintage Mooney owner once removed since 1982 at the age of thirteen when my dad purchased the '65 C that he still owns today; and a low value '78 J owner by my own right for 11 years now. Factory support isn't just for "rich" modern Mooney guys. If you haven't needed it yet count yourself lucky, perhaps, but there is a good chance that eventually you will. 

Fly safe, my cheap Mooney bastard brother. Thanks for doing your part to keep the late great Norm the Mooney Miser's spirit alive! :)

Jim

My co-owner and I will be ponying up $4-4.5 Grand this week for the privilege of continuing to fly in our Class C based airspace.  I don't feel cheap.  I feel mandated.  Buying "new" yokes over purchasing salvaged yokes and shafts allows $ to be spent on other hobby's that appreciate with time vs. depreciating mooney-pit pleasure hobby's.

My counter-point is totally unsupported by anyone else on Mooneyspace.

There is a shocker for this evening.

Thanks Jim.  Don't bet me on "needing" Mooney support anytime soon.  I will gladly out myself if I do.