Who's coming to Oshkosh?

JKSmith

7 hours ago, N9201A said:

Hi Bob,

Keep in mind the N40 is a campground, not parking. So you can't just "park" in the N40. You'll need a camping permit and the EAA Police will look to see a tent with their permit on it. Of course some do also "park" an empty tent. But if you're a Caravaner, your plane doesn't need to be with us to hang with us, we've got folks who hotel, house or dorm it.

Having been in your shoes to me the bigger issue is where I am actually staying, and how am I getting to the airport every day? You can also park (if they've got space) at an FBO. Or, move your plane after the Caravan debrief to Appleton or another airport that doesn't have departure restrictions and so much traffic.

Look forward to meeting you at MSN. Joker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Joker,

Actually, according to site map the N40 (aka General Aviation) is both. And so is the Vintage area. Check out the site map and the signs to print out for taxiing in. I've printed VAP and GAP signs. If I were camping I'd need VAC or GAP signs. "General Aviation is the N40.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-fly-in-flying-to-oshkosh/ground-operations/aircraft-parking-status

We're staying in a private home near the airport. Our host will get us back and forth. 

I suspect the N40 parking will not be mixed in with the N40 camping so I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference where the plane is parked - we'll spend time with the Caravan folks and time in the central exhibit area. The vintage parking has a front row seat for the air shows, I'm thinking stowing chairs etc in the plane there might be handy.   

12 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to park 2652W. Looks like I'll be in Vintage Parking like Bob as I'll have a camper in Warbird Camping. I would rather not pay $27 a night and have an empty tent to be in North 40 Camping. Any thoughts or is my best option Vintage Parking?

Thanks, 

David

See my comment to Joker. I'n a first timer which is why I've sought advice. As I read the web site info both vintage and N40 have areas for parking and camping. 

https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/av16-visitors-grounds-map.pdf

Hi Bob,

I had seen your comments to Joker and was looking at the parking info. I couldn't find anything specifically showing GAP on the EAA map, but I know not all the airplanes parked in the North 40 have people camping with their plane. I'd like to be somewhat close to the Mooney Caravan airplanes. Thanks,

David

3 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Bob,

I had seen your comments to Joker and was looking at the parking info. I couldn't find anything specifically showing GAP on the EAA map, but I know not all the airplanes parked in the North 40 have people camping with their plane. I'd like to be somewhat close to the Mooney Caravan airplanes. Thanks,

David

David, the map i linked is one showing tram and bus routes. There's another one somewhere on the website that labels that N40 area with both camping and parking. Likewise Vintage. 

I have used N40 GAC for both my C and O...

They have nice facilities, to go and wash at.  Minimal electricity to charge phones and things...

It is a long walk.  You tend to bring everything with you for the day.  The day itself is even a longer walk...

Things to bring...

1) a 12V battery/compressor and light with USB ports for charging....  This device when placed in the cargo area may also increase your air speed.

2) a chair that has straps like a back pack.  The air show is at mid day, no time to get a chair.  Too old to sit on the ground and look up.  And air mattress too...

3) Mooney hat. Don't leave home without one.

4) bug spray 

Last time I was able, it was sloshkosh. The A5 was being shown at the seaplane base.  It's been awhile...

Best regards,

-a-

34 minutes ago, MB65E said:

VAC for me too. I'd like to park next to a few Swifty Friends. 

Hope to see a good turn out in VAC with everyone! I'll save a spot next to mine for another old M20 if needed. 

-Matt

The Caravan folks who are parking in Vintage should wind up together since we'll be taxiing in together Sunday AM.

Jetdriven, EAA N40 police won't permit saving spots. But we are debriefing around that time and it's possible some who park for the debrief then leave, creating open spots. Hold up a sign saying "GAC - Mooney Parking". Or have someone in the Caravan text you the number of a row with an empty spots and hold up a sign identifying it, it's possible the volunteers will assume you're returning to your previously-occupied spot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N9201A said: Hi Bob,

Keep in mind the N40 is a campground, not parking. So you can't just "park" in the N40. You'll need a camping permit and the EAA Police will look to see a tent with their permit on it. Of course some do also "park" an empty tent. But if you're a Caravaner, your plane doesn't need to be with us to hang with us, we've got folks who hotel, house or dorm it.

Having been in your shoes to me the bigger issue is where I am actually staying, and how am I getting to the airport every day? You can also park (if they've got space) at an FBO. Or, move your plane after the Caravan debrief to Appleton or another airport that doesn't have departure restrictions and so much traffic.

Look forward to meeting you at MSN. Joker

Hi Joker,

Actually, according to site map the N40 (aka General Aviation) is both. And so is the Vintage area. Check out the site map and the signs to print out for taxiing in. I've printed VAP and GAP signs. If I were camping I'd need VAC or GAP signs. "General Aviation is the N40.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-fly-in-flying-to-oshkosh/ground-operations/aircraft-parking-status

We're staying in a private home near the airport. Our host will get us back and forth. 

I suspect the N40 parking will not be mixed in with the N40 camping so I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference where the plane is parked - we'll spend time with the Caravan folks and time in the central exhibit area. The vintage parking has a front row seat for the air shows, I'm thinking stowing chairs etc in the plane there might be handy.   

There is no GAP I've seen in the North 40 near us, but I've learned something new each of my 12 previous years. So I'm interested to learn where they park you when you hold up your GAP sign, I'm betting the other side of the field by Basler, I've done that a couple times. That's a 2 mile walk from us.

Maybe you could park your plane with us, do the debrief, then taxi wherever you're going for your final destination. Jetdriven would be able to take your spot in GAC in our rows next to our N40 HQ tent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N9201A said:

There is no GAP I've seen in the North 40 near us, but I've learned something new each of my 12 previous years. So I'm interested to learn where they park you when you hold up your GAP sign, I'm betting the other side of the field by Basler, I've done that a couple times. That's a 2 mile walk from us.

Maybe you could park your plane with us, do the debrief, then taxi wherever you're going for your final destination. Jetdriven would be able to take your spot in GAC in our rows next to our N40 HQ tent.

That's a thought. I assumed we'd park in VAP and we would not be the only ones who'd immediately make our way up to the Caravan tent for the debrief. 

Hi Bob,

David

David -- how long will you be at Oshkosh. Really want to meet you and take a look at my new cowling!

On 7/13/2016 at 8:17 PM, Marauder said:

Updated "Thursday Get-Together List"

JerryTJ

Marauder

FlyDave

NotarPilot

Yooper Rocketman (if lunch or afternoon)

Wishboneash (leaving Thursday morning)

Anyone else interested in meeting up for those that have to work on Monday?  Seems like it could be Wednesday evening or lunch on Thursday?

Tom

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

David -- how long will you be at Oshkosh. Really want to meet you and take a look at my new cowling!

Hi Marauder,

We set up our camper this Thursday and will be there until the end of AirVenture. 

David

• Like 1

On 7/13/2016 at 8:17 PM, Marauder said: Updated "Thursday Get-Together List"

JerryTJ

Marauder

FlyDave

NotarPilot

Yooper Rocketman (if lunch or afternoon)

Wishboneash (leaving Thursday morning)

Anyone else interested in meeting up for those that have to work on Monday?  Seems like it could be Wednesday evening or lunch on Thursday?

Tom

Tom -- Jerry and I will be there sometime in the afternoon. We don't have tickets for Wednesday but if there is a way to meet up late Wednesday, I'm game. Any ideas how to meet up without needing to enter the show (obviously a newbie question).

3 hours ago, Marauder said: David -- how long will you be at Oshkosh. Really want to meet you and take a look at my new cowling!

Hi Marauder,

We set up our camper this Thursday and will be there until the end of AirVenture. 

David

I will track you down!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Tom -- Jerry and I will be there sometime in the afternoon. We don't have tickets for Wednesday but if there is a way to meet up late Wednesday, I'm game. Any ideas how to meet up without needing to enter the show (obviously a newbie question).

I am driving down so will have a vehicle (I suppose you will too if staying in Appleton).  Let's see what kind of a group commits and timing works for the most of us.  You can get on the grounds without a wristband, just can't get out on the flightline.  There are at least a few eateries out the wrist band access area and I think the north 40 is accessable sans a wrist band too.  We can exchange cell numbers when we get closer to then.

Tom

• Like 1

One of the easier ways to get on to the North 40 is through the pedestrian gates by Friar Tuck's or the Hilton. Then you can just take a shuttle or hitch a ride on the perimeter road to the Mooney Caravan tent. No wrist band needed.

• Like 1

For the keg, see next post please.

If I forgot anyone, let me know.

List of Mooneyspacers that pledged to attend the get together in Oshkosh at the Mooney Caravan tent on Monday at 6 PM

Jastu23 + 2
Bob Belville + 1
Sabremech
JKSmith
gsxrpilot
Steingar
Hector
201er + 1
yvesg + 1
M20Doc + 1
wishboneash
larryb
jetdriven + 1
Stinkbug +1
cnoe (tentative)
Bob + 1
SoMooney
Guitarmaster
FlyingSchmidth
Ned Gravel + 1
N131MA
druidjaidan + 1.5
tbrickey
drapo (tentative)
Dkmiata + 1
Culver LFA

About the keg, there are some logistics issues that are difficult to resolve on short notice and away. So to make sure that we don't end-up without anything, please consider the event as BYO as suggested initially by gsxrpilot. Things could change but better be safe than sorry. Some will bring extra I am sure so no one should end-up all dry.

Several are quite surprised about the positive response we are having with our Gathering.

Yves

the store next to Friar tucks sells cold Spotted Cow. I will be doing the air race inbound and flying through Wausau, and not stopping. So I'll have to figure out how to get the spotted cow and ice from the north gate to the Mooney tent.  Also, I need to develop further my plan to park in an empty spot near the Mooney Caravan dudes with my plane, I hate to park so far away for arriving 50 minutes later. 

Edited by jetdriven

Just now, yvesg said:

Just got a message that there is the option to buy some pizza for the group for the Monday night gathering. Cost around $200 for the group. Please provide your opinion on this offer?

Yves

Since I can't buy a share of the keg I'll put in 50$ for pizza.   

Flying in commercial Monday night and leaving Thursday afternoon. I guess I'll miss all the Mooniac get togethers this time around. I will be wearing my Mooney gear and will talk to anyone wearing their's. Hope to meet some of you walking around and put faces to some names. Everyone have fun and be safe!