First Mooney

I would guess it is how you define stable approach.   In the c172 on a long straight approach my wife would get motion sickness.   On the U turn and put it on the runway in the Mooney she does not.    The U turn to land is very stable constant rate turn bleeding off airspeed as we go.   If the engine quits I know I will make the runway.   Everyone should do what they are comfortable with and works for them.

• Like 1

Knots 60       90     120     150    180

Min:Sec FAF to MAP 6 NM 6:00   4:00   3:00   2:24      2

This from an approach plate .

So I try for 90 kt (103mph) , that is still above my flap speed. 120 knots(138mph) is way above my gear speed.  ( I am not IR yet. )

pattern I try 90mph, 90-80 through base, 80 final and 70 over the numbers,then wait and pray, maybe some screaming,no ,I always scream " Fly the dang thing" over the numbers per Bob Hoover.

carl 

I just finished instrument training all in a 172RG, which by the way is N172RG...ATC gets a kick out of that when they ask during flight following what the aircraft type is.

ATC doesn't like you slowing down more than 3 minutes out from your IAF.  

I have not acquired the plane yet.  The boss called today and wanted to know if we should get something with more capacity and speed.  I told him an Ovation would fit that description but we need to make sure it will work for the company (I know, go for it, but I'm also responsible for the company's bottom line).  I think he wanted to use it as a taxi (please don't get into that discussion here, I already know about it..lol). 

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Pictreed said:

I just finished instrument training all in a 172RG, which by the way is N172RG...ATC gets a kick out of that when they ask during flight following what the aircraft type is.

ATC doesn't like you slowing down more than 3 minutes out from your IAF.  

I have not acquired the plane yet.  The boss called today and wanted to know if we should get something with more capacity and speed.  I told him an Ovation would fit that description but we need to make sure it will work for the company (I know, go for it, but I'm also responsible for the company's bottom line).  I think he wanted to use it as a taxi (please don't get into that discussion here, I already know about it..lol). 

image.jpeg

I fly the same exact plane out of FTW.  Nice people over at American Pilot, ready to be in my own plane though. 

Pictreed,

There is a company selling an Acclaim here.  Regarding the bottom line, It may be a good discussion to have with him.  The company is a machine shop in MA.  They are moving up to something bigger and faster.

Let me know if you need a hand finding the thread,

-a-

On 12/23/2015 at 3:31 AM, Hector said:

For non-precision approaches gear down at FAF. For precision approaches, gear down at glideslope intercept. It's what I do. Find out what combination of throttle/RPM gives you 120 level flight. I typically cruise at 2400 RPM and I don't change that during descent. I know that 16-17 inches, depending on weight, yields 120 level flight. I dial that in to slow down during the approach. At glideslope intercept the gear comes down and if properly trimmed she will settle on a 500 fpm descent at 120. I'll make minor adjustments as needed to maintain that and keep the needles centered.

good advice.

learning to fly "by the numbers" thought all phases of flight (especially approaches) makes your IFR/IMC experience so much easier, safer and predictable.

4 hours ago, Mcoyne34 said:

I fly the same exact plane out of FTW.  Nice people over at American Pilot, ready to be in my own plane though. 

Yep, really nice folks.  I was the one flying 172RG last month doing night landings for Commercial when the alternator quit after leaving KMWL.  Lucky Andrew failed the gear on me one day and made me practice manual gear extension because they don't work well without electric.  

After I landed I had to use my flashlight out the window to find the yellow taxi lines to taxi back.  

The tower said ATC received my 7600 squawk code just before it went black and they heard the broken transmission that I had lost electrical.  It was the old King radio they picked me up on before it all went black.  Ah...good times. 

On December 23, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Hector said:

For non-precision approaches gear down at FAF. For precision approaches, gear down at glideslope intercept. It's what I do. Find out what combination of throttle/RPM gives you 120 level flight. I typically cruise at 2400 RPM and I don't change that during descent. I know that 16-17 inches, depending on weight, yields 120 level flight. I dial that in to slow down during the approach. At glideslope intercept the gear comes down and if properly trimmed she will settle on a 500 fpm descent at 120. I'll make minor adjustments as needed to maintain that and keep the needles centered.

I practiced that today in the 172. I like it. Made me a bit nervous on the first approach but the second landing it felt good. 

9 hours ago, Pictreed said:

Yep, really nice folks.  I was the one flying 172RG last month doing night landings for Commercial when the alternator quit after leaving KMWL.  Lucky Andrew failed the gear on me one day and made me practice manual gear extension because they don't work well without electric.  

After I landed I had to use my flashlight out the window to find the yellow taxi lines to taxi back.  

The tower said ATC received my 7600 squawk code just before it went black and they heard the broken transmission that I had lost electrical.  It was the old King radio they picked me up on before it all went black.  Ah...good times. 

I remember that. I flew the day before it went out and was supposed to fly the day after. I have a phone number for regional approach if you want that. Something I like to have if I lose radios. Give them a call and they can coordinate for you, beats doing the standard NORDO procedures. If you want it, send me a PM. 

• Like 1