Greetings, and in the market for a Mooney!

CJpilot316

Hey all!

My name is Cody, I'm a CFI from Northern Maine. I currently own a 172, but It's got a for sale sign on it, since I'm looking at buying a Mooney. I figured this would be the best place to get information on them, and I've been a lurker for a while. From my research, I think I'm leaning towards an M20F or G. Need IFR, long range tanks, and autopilot. Fixer uppers are okay, but I could take any advice in that area of expertise as well.

Looking forward to flying faster than 110KTS!

Hello 316, if,you've been spending much time reading the various threads them I'm sure you've picked up most of the issues and concerns. Good luck on your search when you find a suitable candidate put it up in a post so we can all put our 2 cents worth. It's fun to spend other people's money.

welcome 

Good to have you here CJ! This is an awesome support family for those addicted to Mooney's. You'll find tons of knowledgable people who simply like to help by sharing their experiences. Good luck in your hunt and we hope that you join the family in ownership soon as well!

Abe

N7463V '75 M20C 

Bay Minette, AL 1R8

8 hours ago, CJpilot316 said:

Hey all!

My name is Cody, I'm a CFI from Northern Maine. I currently own a 172, but It's got a for sale sign on it, since I'm looking at buying a Mooney. I figured this would be the best place to get information on them, and I've been a lurker for a while. From my research, I think I'm leaning towards an M20F or G. Need IFR, long range tanks, and autopilot. Fixer uppers are okay, but I could take any advice in that area of expertise as well.

Sounds like an M18 Mite would fit the bill, better than 110KTS on 65 HP.

Clarence

31 minutes ago, n253km said:

does a g have the bigger tanks since it is a 180 hp?

The G has C size tanks and C engine with a F size body, thus the slowest of the Mooney lineup C's and above, and suffers a bit on range as a result. The F fixed those issues very nicely while continuing to address the rear seat space issues. the aero cleanups Lopresti did to the F to make a J fixed the issue that the E model was faster than the current (at that time) flagship

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsengle said:

I disagree though that LOP has to equal any higher overhaul costs... If done correctly the cylinders actually run cooler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read his response to be that the fuel injected engine has more expensive cylinders, not that LOP necessitated more cylinder maintenance.

Cody, I know the chances are slim that there's a partnership available way up there abeam the North Pole, but it might be worth considering. My lovely initial partners, three of them, were not only wonderful founts of aviation knowledge in general, and Mooney-specific knowledge in particular, but made it possible to own a MUCH nicer airplane than I could afford by myself. The facts that they didn't have time or money for flying much, welcomed my contributions thereto, and loved going out to the airport on a Sunday morning and washing, waxing, and then blow-drying our pretty airplane made it that much better. Your $35K will go a LOT further if you can find two people to throw in with you. The more avionics you can find already installed, the better, of course.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2015 at 10:03 PM, CJpilot316 said:

Hey all!

Aww yeahhh. About time you posted up, Cody. Get rid of that Slowhawk.

8 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

All true.  I like Gs and think that they are underrated by the Mooney community.

Psh. Until you hear "whats a M20D", "I've never heard of the 'Master' model..." and my all time favorite: "Mooney made a FIXED gear?!?!?" then you will know underrated.

6 hours ago, gsengle said:

My questions for Cody, to help the discussion:

Will you use the back seat on longer trips? (for people)

What is your useful load requirement on a long trip? And...

Do you have a budget in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little more info on my mission:

80% of my flying will be solo, full fuel, long legs (4+ hours). I'm 5'6 and 155lbs, so that's no problem for me. I may carry passengers on the occasional double date to NY or something. I loved doing that with the Skyhawk.

My job is giving me an 8 day on, 6 day off schedule, basing in Florida. Those six days off I intend to use for traveling and commuting. I'd like a plane that I could get up to Maine with in around 8 hours, and use to travel cross country for visiting friends, etc. I flew my 172 to Colorado and back last month, and I absolutely loved that trip. Im dying to explore further and faster. I also plan to do aerial survey work with it, using the camera system currently mounted on my 172.

My budget is $35,000, but I'm knocking on doors of $45k listings to see what I can do. I am also looking at planes needing work. Knowing myself too well, and owning a plane for several years, I can't do a partnership. I'm too selfish with my toys. And I'd be a horrible partner...I intend to fly a minimum of 500 hours a year in the airplane over the next 2 years to build time for my upgrade to captain. :P

The one requirement I've found, per the installation of the camera mount, is that my new bird must have a FIXED STEP. Which means '68 or newer if I'm correct. 

Some don't have a step, they were cut off long ago.

$35000 is on the low end...

The cost of the airplane will be dwarfed by hangar fees, insurance, fuel costs and maintenance, let alone avionics upgrades.

500 hours/yr? Flying for work, you'll either need a turbo with FIKI or better have a backup plan especially for winter months.

40 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Some don't have a step, they were cut off long ago.

$35000 is on the low end...

The cost of the airplane will be dwarfed by hangar fees, insurance, fuel costs and maintenance, let alone avionics upgrades.

500 hours/yr? Flying for work, you'll either need a turbo with FIKI or better have a backup plan especially for winter months.

I fly a Piaggio P-180 as an FO for a charter company. In order to get up to Captain times in a decent amount of time, I'll need to fly extra on my own aside from work.

Ive owned an airplane and flown in Maine for the last 3 years, and worked in maintenance for the last few years. So I do know the costs involved. FIKI and turbo would be nice, but not necessary.

On 12/21/2015 at 10:03 PM, CJpilot316 said:

From my research, I think I'm leaning towards an M20F or G.

You might happen to find a M20G but there were not that many built - 190 in all, 164 in the 1968 model year when it was introduced. It dropped from the line almost immediately. The first mid size (called long body at the time) - the M20F came out in '67 and quickly outsold the other 200HP (M20E) giving up some performance but having larger tanks and a higher gross weight. There were about 1250 M20Fs built. The 180HP M20C sales held up pretty well against the E and F so I suppose Mooney thought a mid sized 180HP would be of interest. Even though it is a fine plane and outperforms the Piper and Cessna offerings in their class, the Mooney buyer didn't need another option to the C, E, or F particularly since the large tanks and higher gross given to the F was not part of the G reducing the useful load and range vs. it's stable mates. 

But all the Mooney models from '66 to '77 (except the rare Cadets and Mustangs) were much more alike than different and buying one now is much more about how an individual plane has been cared for and upgraded. 

Happy hunting!

1 hour ago, CJpilot316 said:

I fly a Piaggio P-180 as an FO for a charter company. In order to get up to Captain times in a decent amount of time, I'll need to fly extra on my own aside from work.

Ive owned an airplane and flown in Maine for the last 3 years, and worked in maintenance for the last few years. So I do know the costs involved. FIKI and turbo would be nice, but not necessary.

I figured you knew the weather issues for a non-fiki plane given your background.  I have to say that 35k will probably get you a basic plane with vintage radios.  I guess you know how it goes with costs/amenities from that point.