Instrument pilots - how much do you use your Nav2?

DXB

Talk to your avionics installer and see how much room/depth you need for each, how much space you have, and see what you can do. Cutting a new panel will add to the cost.

Does your C not have a clock in the yoke? I use mine in every flight, to log time if nothing else. The resetable red hands not only give me time for my logbook, but also remind me to change tanks every time the white minute hand is over the red one.

I'm already getting a new panel cut - cost was surprisingly reasonable- just over half what the local competitors wanted. Guy has an automated setup to do it in the shop. Right now he's pretty confident the JPI can go in on the left- we will see.  He recently did another C model panel so I'm hopeful.  Someone put the newer (201?) style yokes in my plane at some point.  So no clock, and I put my ipad mini on a yoke mount.  

Marauder will cringe to see my panel again, but you may not have seen my panel. In addition to a large GTN750 I was determined that the stormscope stay in my field of vision and I had to have a spot for the STEC50 meaning another narrow stack. I put the JPI EDM 930 above the navcom 2 and xponder to the right of the main stack. IMNSHO, it is near perfect.

No more than you cringing looking at mine again. Do you find having the AI set low in the panel will be a challenge if you really need to use it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm already getting a new panel cut - cost was surprisingly reasonable- just over half what the local competitors wanted. Guy has an automated setup to do it in the shop. Right now he's pretty confident the JPI can go in on the left- we will see. He recently did another C model panel so I'm hopeful. Someone put the newer (201?) style yokes in my plane at some point. So no clock, and I put my ipad mini on a yoke mount.

If he has done another C, he will be familiar with the depth concerns. Also, if you run into issues with your JPI interfering with the GTN let me know. I have a second ferrite filter JPI sent me. You won't need the indicator, but the pigtail for the indicator sticks out of the unit and can act as an antenna even if you don't have the indicator wire attached.

No more than you cringing looking at mine again. Do you find having the AI set low in the panel will be a challenge if you really need to use it?

Hum, I suppose the BU AI would be better if it and the BU Altimeter were switched. As I recall, my avionics guy told me Aspen was very specific as to the placement of the BU ASI, ALT, Ai with their single unit installs. Truth be told, when I am IMC I'm more likely to be looking at that old vacuum AI. My head stays in the airplane while IMC so high or low does not matter much. (I have, finally, moved to the Aspen for ASI and Alt primacy.)

Hum, I suppose the BU AI would be better if it and the BU Altimeter were switched. As I recall, my avionics guy told me Aspen was very specific as to the placement of the BU ASI, ALT, Ai with their single unit installs. Truth be told, when I am IMC I'm more likely to be looking at that old vacuum AI. My head stays in the airplane while IMC so high or low does not matter much. (I have, finally, moved to the Aspen for ASI and Alt primacy.)

Not sure why the single Aspen would have a different placement than my dual Aspen, but mine is high in the panel. I wondered if sitting a little lower if you would have some parallax effect.

I don't look at my mechanical ASI any longer and only look at the mechanical altimeter to set the Kollsman on it. Mine are side by side...

7cde033817d0ad8f6435d9ae212c2d3d.jpg

Marauder will cringe to see my panel again, but you may not have seen my panel. In addition to a large GTN750 I was determined that the stormscope stay in my field of vision and I had to have a spot for the STEC50 meaning another narrow stack. I put the JPI EDM 930 above the navcom 2 and xponder to the right of the main stack. IMNSHO, it is near perfect.

We need to find a place to fly and meet so I can see it in person! :)

• Like 1

I agree, put the transponder to the right.  Most of the time you will set it before flight and never touch it again until you land.  Occasionally you will need to hit the ident button or changes codes.

We have our GTN650 and KNS80 in the center stack.  If I'm flying on airways I usually back up the GPS with the KNS.  When I fly an ILS I always tune them both and compare them to look for errors.  Our #2 Comm is in the right stack.  I only use it to listen to ATIS/ASOS or 121.5.

Bob

If he has done another C, he will be familiar with the depth concerns. Also, if you run into issues with your JPI interfering with the GTN let me know. I have a second ferrite filter JPI sent me. You won't need the indicator, but the pigtail for the indicator sticks out of the unit and can act as an antenna even if you don't have the indicator wire attached.

Thanks Chris -  I will let you know if the JPI messes up the GTN.  Actually the whole Mooney community will be forced to hear me bitch about it.  I am not yet prepared to cope with problems arising from the most extravagant purchase of my life to date...

I wasn't aware of this - can you point me to a source?

Hi Parker. Now that you call me on it, I realize I mixed some things up in my head. The deal with a WAAS GPS is that you don't need to use a non-GPS approach as your alternate. You can file for only GPS approaches for both initial and alternate approaches.  So practically speaking, this means you don't have to have a NAV radio I guess, which is why in my head I extrapolated that to mean that you don't need to do VOR checks. Of course, if you intend to fly VOR approaches, then you no doubt still need to do VOR checks.  Thanks for the little kick in the butt!

• Like 1