Pilots' Bill of rights 2

mike_elliott

On Feb 25th, the House and Senate have had bills introduced to mandate the FAA to revamp the byzantine 3rd class medical requirements. This important piece of legislation needs all of our support, and to make it easy, the EAA has provided the content of a letter and a simple tool to send it to your reps. Please consider doing this after review of the bills’ content

http://govt.eaa.org/17422/support-pilots-bill-rights-2/

fly safe!

Mike Elliott

• Like 1

While I certainly support the bill, I don't believe any of the hyperbole that doing away with third class medicals will stimulate the GA industry. I mean, just how many potential new pilots are there out there that don't pursue training because they may not pass the physical? They make it sound like tens of thousands when in fact it may be in the dozens. 

Just say'in.

Now they are proposing to allow IFR - which is fantastic since restricting to VFR is encouraging scud running.

Bummer they are still sticking with 14,000 since for me - that means I would continue with the 3rd class medical since I like the option to fly higher.

• Like 2

While I certainly support the bill, I don't believe any of the hyperbole that doing away with third class medicals will stimulate the GA industry. I mean, just how many potential new pilots are there out there that don't pursue training because they may not pass the physical? They make it sound like tens of thousands when in fact it may be in the dozens.

Just say'in.

I for one held off buying until I could get a regular medical FWIW

I for one held off buying until I could get a regular medical FWIW

I can certainly appreciate your response because I also held off my purchase for a week until I had the results of a medical test in hand, but I was referring to new pilot training. How many people want to get their PPL but can't due to a medical condition that the feds deem as ineligible?

What will I do with a $200k airplane if I don't pass a class III medical...

Probably won't spend the money on annuals, fuel, hangar, insurance, interest or KSN770...

Holy crap, I'm going to save a ton of dough!

All it takes is being prescribed one of the medications on the forbidden list.

When you are young, it is challenging to come up with this dough.

When you are old, it is challenging to keep from being handed a medication on the list.

Support your ability to fly....

Best regards,

-a-

What will I do with a $200k airplane if I don't pass a class III medical...

Probably won't spend the money on annuals, fuel, hangar, insurance, interest or KSN770...

Holy crap, I'm going to save a ton of dough!

When you are young, it is challenging to come up with this dough.

When you are old, it is challenging to keep from being handed a medication on the list.

Support your ability to fly....

Where is Timmy now?

Best regards,

-a-

Please don't invite Timmy.

• Like 3

Like I said, I'm fully in favor of the legislation. Once it is passed - and I do believe it will be - it will be interesting to see if there are incidents which are related to pilots taking drugs that are now banned, such as anti-seizure medications. There may be something to it - or not.

Like I said, I'm fully in favor of the legislation. Once it is passed - and I do believe it will be - it will be interesting to see if there are incidents which are related to pilots taking drugs that are now banned, such as anti-seizure medications. There may be something to it - or not.

That is somehow less important than if innocent bystanders are being injured by said people taking anti-seizure meds - since after all those same people taking anti seizure meds are often driving cars and supposedly getting killed on the highways at a certain statistical rate.  SO the question as I see it is if the mortality rate for those people is changing due to allowing them to fly, and B) if innocent bystanders are being injured at an increased statistical rate - rather than the current standard which is an attempt to zero the risk-rate - which is statistical silliness in the form of legislative misunderstanding of risk.

Letters sent, but the only thing that moves slower than the FAA is Congress. Still I'm pleased to see the bills include IFR operations (should be to 18,000' though so that crossing the Rockies is still safe). Next comes the part 23 rewrite so that we can upgrade avionics more cost effectively.

Then... if we could just do something about the cost of paint-jobs, interiors, and rebuilds. :)

Cnoe

I don't think that the elimination of the third class medical would result in elimination of the banned medications list.  I suspect we will be required to "self-certify" which would include grounding ourselves if we are taking something on the list.

• Like 1

I agree mooniac we self certify ourselves everyday we take or not to the air. I wonder out loud what effect if any it will have on our insurance rates i.e.. what if the insurer says your premium with a physical is and without the physical

I am very glad to see them include IFR.   Yes 18000 would be nice to have. 

I am healthy at the present time and other than glasses I have no problems passing the physical.  AS for those who argue against dropping the 3rd class medical I submit you this.

I’m sure there are pilots out there who either self-medicate, self-treat or just do not report visits to the doctor for fear of losing their medical or just for the hassle.  This way a pilot can go to the doctor for anything that ales him and not have to worry about his medical.  Just discuss with the doctor during treatment about operating  complex heavy equipment.

The new bill also has some language in it that states that if the faa doesn't implement it within 180 days they can no longer bring a enforcement action against any who does not have a 3rd class medical. Looks like congress learned their lesson last time. There is also liability protection for pilots on charitable flights.

I am very glad to see them include IFR.   Yes 18000 would be nice to have. 

I am healthy at the present time and other than glasses I have no problems passing the physical.  AS for those who argue against dropping the 3rd class medical I submit you this.

I’m sure there are pilots out there who either self-medicate, self-treat or just do not report visits to the doctor for fear of losing their medical or just for the hassle.  This way a pilot can go to the doctor for anything that ales him and not have to worry about his medical.  Just discuss with the doctor during treatment about operating  complex heavy equipment.

Forget 14,000 or 18,000.  That 3rd class medical has no value so forget the altitude.  Let me fly at the certified altitude of my airplane on my drivers license and stop pretending FAA that the 3rd class medical does anything except annoy me every two years.  I am more likely to kill someone due to having a heart attack while at the wheel of my car while driving to AME for my 3rd class medical than I am to hurt anyone besides myself while flying to see my grandma.

• Like 2

I’m sure there are pilots out there who either self-medicate, self-treat or just do not report visits to the doctor for fear of losing their medical or just for the hassle. 

This used to be true, but a few years ago the Medical Certification Branch has been cross-checking applications received to medical claim clearing houses and flagging those applications where the applicant just happen to "forget" about some doctor visits. I've read that the FAA has come down hard on some of these cases.

This used to be true, but a few years ago the Medical Certification Branch has been cross-checking applications received to medical claim clearing houses and flagging those applications where the applicant just happen to "forget" about some doctor visits. I've read that the FAA has come down hard on some of these cases.

Another reason to get rid of the class III :huh:

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they were just cross-referencing with disability claims.  I believe HIPAA would prevent them from gaining access to any records related to regular doctor visits.

• Like 1

I believe HIPAA would prevent them from gaining access to any records related to regular doctor visits.

Unfortunately HIPAA doesn't provide this protection.  Generally speaking, government agencies who are required by law to ensure public safety are authorized to obtain medical information.  See 45 CFR 164.512.

While I don't personally agree with the following, it has been suggested that a pilot should consider having a "cash only" physician who keeps a paper file for medical services to the pilot, and to use cash to pay for medications and studies/workups from that physician.  In addition, the pilot should continue to have a mainstream physician for a visit ever 1-2 years who doesn't know about the cash-only stuff.

A "required" third-class medical will be going away.  To me, the question is what will happen to insurance costs for the future self-certified non third-class pilots.  Those who make a living off of insurance must be salivating.    

Unfortunately HIPAA doesn't provide this protection.  Generally speaking, government agencies who are required by law to ensure public safety are authorized to obtain medical information.  See 45 CFR 164.512.

Which section do you think allows the FAA to conduct an investigation into your medical history? That part of the regulation largely governs requests related to law enforcement, victims of abuse, and individuals in imminent danger.  I don't see any provision for an agency to go fishing with the exception of investigating abuse of benefit programs. 

Which section do you think allows the FAA to conduct an investigation into your medical history? That part of the regulation largely governs requests related to law enforcement, victims of abuse, and individuals in imminent danger.  I don't see any provision for an agency to go fishing with the exception of investigating abuse of benefit programs. 

My referenced code may not be the precise code, though it could be.  Please see Dr. Bruce's comments (as well as those of other physicians) in the following thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47067