How much do you fly each year?

rbuck

I'm on vacation and this damn weather is making me fall behind me and my big mouth talking it up. How great the winter weather in California is for flying. It's like I said if you see me bet on red put yours on black and you will win every time. AARGH!!!

Sounds like the general consensus is "not enough"  :) . 

For me, I've moved twice in the past year (military). Being single helps with that 100+ hours, too, but that's not going to be the case next year! I'm glad that my fiancé enjoys flying!

• Like 1

No food at Lincoln, but Auburn (AUN, 15 miles eas)t has a pretty good place for breakfast and lunch. Avgas at AUN is a little cheaper than LHM, which I think right now is $4.89 self serve.

My long trip... 43 hrs in 8 days. Picked up family in Kerrville with a drop off in Omaha, then on to northern IA (MCW). Dodged some weather and low ceilings along the way. I didn't push it with family on board. An unplanned RON is an adventure. I made the Kerrville-Lincoln return in one (long) day with two gas stops. Couldn't have done that in my old Cherokee!

• Like 1

Just added up for the year and only 56 hrs lots of trips under 1 hour. We use our Mooney as a grocery getter cause there are no good stores less than a hour away so hop in the plane 12 minutes over the western mountains or 20 minutes over the eastern mountains get some lunch load up on supplies and back home. It's like flying the airliners from SFO to LAX depart climb descend land. Beats driving an hour and a half for the same destination. But harder to accumulate hours. However the number of takeoffs climbs descents and landings are high just not much time spent in cruise.

Let's see 5001 Hrs. divided by 48 years of flying = 104/yr.

I like this. I have 3061 hours but I have to use two divisors. If I use the 45 years since I got my PPL I've averaged 68 hours per year but if I only count the 17 years in 3 stretches that I was actively flying I average 180 hours per year.

• Like 1

Division!  What a great system - as a math professor, let me say I approve of this method.

I have 845 hours in 6.5 years -> 130 hrs/year.  Sometimes more sometimes less.

I noticed that my yearly hourly average went down slightly when I got my Mooney - why?  Cuz the darn thing is so much faster than my last airplane.  Some of my typical trips just take significantly less time.

• Like 2

I commute around the state for work and so I told up two three four hours a week most we can show it winds up being 150 to 200 hours a year. The nice thing about flying that much is you really get a feel for the airplane and where to be on the numbers to make nice landings, and I really like that

2014 will be my lowest totals since purchasing a Mooney.  I purchased my F model in 2008 and averaged 150-175 those first three years.  I purchased the Missile in 2011 and since it goes faster, my cross country flights take less time.  So there's less wear and tear on the airframe for distance flown, but my numbers are proportionally down.

In the Missile ownership years I have flown between 110 and 140 hours per year.  2014 however, I got married, did not fly across the country solo one last time (2013 - 30+ hours on that trip alone) and may not break 100 hours. 

I'll hit 90 hours today for the year during my BFR.

-Seth